Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Togo Took
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will be interesting to hear why Kickstarter suspended funding for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am super curious myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was suggested in the Kickstarter geeklist that Kolossal and Maple are in some way connected, and that the issue might be that the same creators aren't allowed to run two campaigns at the same time. I have no idea if there's any connection between Maple and Kolossal, but if Maple is an imprint of Kolossal, the suggested explanation seems quite plausible to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be that both of these companies have one or more Kickstarters that have yet to fulfill, and no previous indication that they are capable of delivering a product.

Kickstarter and Indiegogo have been cracking down more on potentially problematic campaigns now that the FTC is officially looking into the iBackpack scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sou
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CMON and Steamforged need to be on the list as well then if that were the case. I believe it's due to multiple projects ran simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blottie
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On top of that, Kolossal just fired Daryl Andrews as head of Maple Games. I’m getting worried, as I’ve backed several games within the Kolossal umbrella, and without the influx of cash from new projects, they’re suddenly firing people? Not a good look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Doules42 wrote:
CMON and Steamforged need to be on the list as well then if that were the case. I believe it's due to multiple projects ran simultaneously.

CMON has run some back to back kickstarters, but they've never had any running simultaneously. There has always been at least a few days between pledges closing and the next one starting. I don't think Steamforged has either. This was 3 kickstarters run by the same people under 3 different kickstarter accounts open for pledges simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Doules42 wrote:

CMON has run some back to back kickstarters, but they've never had any running simultaneously. There has always been at least a few days between pledges closing and the next one starting. I don't think Steamforged has either. This was 3 kickstarters run by the same people under 3 different kickstarter accounts open for pledges simultaneously.

He was answering about companies that have yet to fulfill a previous project running other Kickstarters. CMON and Steamforged have undelivered projects, not that they are running projects simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
rccoll wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Doules42 wrote:

He was answering about companies that have yet to fulfill a previous project running other Kickstarters. CMON and Steamforged have undelivered projects, not that they are running projects simultaneously.

Ah, multiple unfulfilled projects isn't that uncommon. Multiple projects actively accepting pledges on kickstarter is something else entirely though and I'd be surprised if that didn't turnout to be the cause of the suspensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a handful of aspects being discussed here, primarily:

- Multiple unfulfilled projects

- Concurrent active Kickstarters

- Unresponsiveness and lack of updates

- Ability to deliver a product

That last one is important, and why CMON doesn't get suspended. Yes, they may (or may not, idk) have done the other points, but if they have shown they are capable of delivering to tens of thousands of backers they won't get suspended in the same fashion.

If you watch this video https://youtu.be/HJhQTxTUIH0

You can see in the interview with Kicstarter that they are upping their accountability involvement for project creators. They have created a more robust Trust and Safety team and are working at communicating with the users of their site about the risks of crowd-funding.

I won't pretend to know the criteria Kickstarter uses to assess projects, but I am sure that as a company at almost 10 years old, they have decent metrics and data to identify risky and/or damaging (not necessarily fraudulent) projects in order to protect Kickstarter users.

**Full disclosure, I am a Kickstarter creator and have participated in questionnaires and feedback forums for KS.**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blottieb wrote:
On top of that, Kolossal just fired Daryl Andrews as head of Maple Games. I’m getting worried, as I’ve backed several games within the Kolossal umbrella, and without the influx of cash from new projects, they’re suddenly firing people? Not a good look.

so, hmm... this is big.
Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not surprised it happened as Kickstarter is pretty clear about launching a second (or in this case third) project before fulfilling the first. I'm surprised Maple's second Kickstarter campaign didn't get dinged.

https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005133933-...
Quote:
We don’t permit running multiple projects at the same time, or launching a second project before fulfilling your first one. Having multiple live projects can confuse backers and split support. Moreover, running a project is a lot of work, and having more than one live project will likely dilute your attention and energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of companies run KS projects before fulfilling previous ones, but Kolossal have run a lot in a very short space of time, which means a lot of projects not yet fulfilled.

The more likely issue, though, is making a second account and running multiple projects simultaneously - Hunt the Ravager and Papillon were suspended at the same time, so that's almost certainly the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.