Subject: Subjective Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pole

Winkleigh
Devon
msg tools
designer
A play-tester pointed out that a key Rule in a game I'm designing is open to exploitation by means of gamey tactics. Trying to patch the Rule in such a way that the further restrictions don't have unintended consequences across the game is not straight-forward, and likely to be lengthy. I was considering simply adding a clause to the Rule along the lines of "Action X must be used for a strategic purpose, not to simply accumulate Y points". I appreciate, of course, that this is open to interpretation and can envisage it being the subject of arguments between players. Hence the post.

Do you think that such an obviously subjective Rule is legitimate; and, if so, what wording do you think would be appropriate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:

Do you think that such an obviously subjective Rule is legitimate; and, if so, what wording do you think would be appropriate?

Hmmm. So you opened up your phalanx, but you want your opponent to NOT go charging in and take advantage of that weakness ? Good luck with that.

The whole idea of playtesting and someone finding that weak spot is precisely so that you, as the designer, can close it.

That said, in modern miniature wargaming, you quiet often encounter a "play as a gentleman" rule - but that's because unlike boardgames, miniature wargames have a harder time covering every possibility given the discrete nature of movement and terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am fine with a specific subjective rule if it is clear to which part of the game it applies. I would have more problems with a blanket subjective rule that applies to the whole game.

BUT I have one of my gaming buddies who would refuse to play such a game. He only plays the "rules as written".

A game with a subjective rule would get endlessly criticized on the internet by some players (not all players, but "some players" is all that matters). This will result in lower sales. I personally would not publish a game with a subjective rule. Bad press and lower sales are not worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:
A play-tester pointed out that a key Rule in a game I'm designing is open to exploitation by means of gamey tactics. Trying to patch the Rule in such a way that the further restrictions don't have unintended consequences across the game is not straight-forward, and likely to be lengthy. I was considering simply adding a clause to the Rule along the lines of "Action X must be used for a strategic purpose, not to simply accumulate Y points". I appreciate, of course, that this is open to interpretation and can envisage it being the subject of arguments between players. Hence the post.

The issue might be that if the goal is to gain points, anything done to gain points IS "strategic" since your long term strategy is "to gain points". You have to define what you mean, or arguments will ensure whether a usage is "strategic enough".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Palestine
Earth
msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:

Sorry but that's a sign of bad design (NOT THAT I KNOW HOW TO DESIGN GAMES, I BEG YOUR PARDON!) unless the rule subject to such restriction is minor or not adhering to it is against common sense (real-world wise). You say that this is a key rule so I'd say you would need to come up with a better work around.

To brush the edges designer would add up "subjective rules" to prevent gamey tactics; OCS godzilla may be a good example. But this pertains rather to minor, infrequent edge cases rather than key rules.

Is there way to polish up the rules so that the gamey tactics your playtester mentioned can be eliminated? Or discouraged, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve - gonna go with “no”.

The player is allowed to have “accumulate Y points” as a strategic purpose. If you think you can force him not to, you are in his chair. You can set the incentives, but he gets to min max them.

Especially if this is, as you say, a key rule, you have a problem. “This would win, but you can’t do it just to win” is hopeless. That’s the players’ actual job description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck finding two players that agree on precisely what action has a strategic purpose or not if you can not come up with a simple objective definition.

I 100% play by rules as written and if the rulebook encourages players to get into annoying reality arguments ("yes, that move is allowed by the rules, BUT ...") that sounds like something that can totally ruin the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Count me among those who actively dislikes that kind of vague/subjective "be a good sport and don't do this kind of thing which the rules explicitly let you do but which many players think is cheesy" pseudo-rule.

I greatly prefer clear rules which make it objectively clear and verifiable whether a move is valid or invalid.

Requiring players themselves to decide and to agree whether a move "feels right" or not is annoying to me; it feels off-puttingly like sloppy design or lazy rule-writing. (And in practice it will lead to sincere disagreement sooner or later.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Dearden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine for solo play, but for opposed play it sounds profoundly unsatisfactory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mogensen
Denmark
Silkeborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:
I was considering simply adding a clause to the Rule along the lines of "Action X must be used for a strategic purpose, not to simply accumulate Y points". I appreciate, of course, that this is open to interpretation and can envisage it being the subject of arguments between players. Hence the post.

Do you think that such an obviously subjective Rule is legitimate

I'm afraid that if I stumbled upon such a rule in a rule book, it would give me a strong suspicion that the game is actually broken. We've had long discussion of what "broken" means, but to me this is a smell. A rule should have a very objective interpretation and that framework should in it self prevent gamey play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you clearly define in the rules what "strategic" applies to in terms of game play and mechanics, then it should be fine. However, if you do not, then I recommend against such a rule. As pointed out by others, it is too open to interpretation.

If you cannot define strategic, then perhaps you should consider reworking the original rule that is being exploited.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mogensen
Denmark
Silkeborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Good luck finding two players that agree on precisely what action has a strategic purpose or not if you can not come up with a simple objective definition.

Yeah...
Even if you assume no bias there are players who just don't like the process of analyzing the rules to understand the exact definition of words and their objective conclusion and just declare some subjective interpretation they find intuitive to be self-evident.

An example from real life. The rules to "We the People" say:
"A player controls a colony if he has more
PC Markers in it than his opponent. If both sides have an equal
number of PC Markers in a colony it is considered to be controlled by
the American player."

Whether "zero" is also a number and whether a zero/zero tie makes it American Controlled is something which could result in subjective readings. So a rule which doesn't even try to be half as objective as the above is doomed to not solve anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:
"Action X must be used for a strategic purpose, not to simply accumulate Y points".

If that's the intent, you gotta make it so the rules disallow 'accumulating Y points'. You can't leave it to the interpretation of the players; a rule like that would frustrate me incredibly.

Hard to offer specific comments or advice, though, with a generic example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb

Steve, just quote the rule as you have it. It'll make for a more useful discussion, I think. Nobody can glean your entire design from the one rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Lewis
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Linguistic Cruth
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Rubenpup wrote:
"Action X must be used for a strategic purpose, not to simply accumulate Y points".

If that's the intent, you gotta make it so the rules disallow 'accumulating Y points'.

Or just go ahead and set the thresholds and penalize the gaming of the rule. No need to make the rule subjective. If you need to allow them to accumulate "Y" points, put some negative consequences on the back end of the rule so that people can still game the rule to their detriment somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In The Mighty Endeavor, it would be adventageous for the German player to abandon France and fortify the saved armies in Germany, protecting the VP hexes. To stop this, Rule 1.23 states; If Paris is abandoned prior to turn 8, the Allies get a 18 VP bonus. This rule is titled "Goofy Wargamer Stuff Safety Valve"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

... and if your "strategy" is to accumulate said points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever the loophole is, you have to close it with a hard & fast rule. If you are unable to, then something is amiss in the first place with the VP rules as they stand.

Its actually a good place to raise that it is becoming something of a personal arse-ache for me that so many games released now seem to have big rule holes. Nip it in the bud BEFORE publication and go with what play-testing is revealing to you... That being, that there is a VP scoring problem OR the VP's are wrongly assigned problem.

I'll tell you now and I am sure there are many or most like me. I will look at a game before battle commences and work out a plan to score the most VP's. If its not an illegal move, I'll be in there like a rat up a drainpipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pole

Winkleigh
Devon
msg tools
designer
Enough already!

I'll expand the Rule to spell out what is and isn't permitted so that (I hope) there's no doubt. It's a pity though because until the flaw was pointed out I thought the Rule/mechanic was really crisp; with an additional three paras of clarifications it's likely to become more of a doughnut.

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve - thanks for asking, and thanks double for actually listening. Sorry it wasn't an easier answer to live with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:
Enough already!

I'll expand the Rule to spell out what is and isn't permitted so that (I hope) there's no doubt. It's a pity though because until the flaw was pointed out I thought the Rule/mechanic was really crisp; with an additional three paras of clarifications it's likely to become more of a doughnut.

Thanks everyone.

Hopefully a more elegant solution arises! G'luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, and the women come out to cut up what remains,
badge
jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains and go to your gawd like a soldier.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:
It's a pity though because until the flaw was pointed out I thought the Rule/mechanic was really crisp;

The mark of a good playtester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Steve I will mention the one good exception to the no subjective rules area. Command control in Dean Essigs designs. His games going all the way back to the Gamers brigade level ACW designs have players making battle plans and then acting on them and its really subjective. But its critical to the design and when played the right way improves the simulation so much to me its worth its subjective nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with the others that you want to make the rule sufficiently explicit that players are playing and motivated to play the way you intended by design. If a strategy is an optimal way towards the win condition but against the spirit of what you want players to be doing, you have to close that hole.

Lewis and Clark was an example that comes to mind where the reverse camping loophole was missed during playtesting and the designer had to close it. A good number of games have errata for this reason - rules loopholes allowed strategies against the spirit of what the designer wanted.

However, I think some types of games do depend on subjective interpretation of rules about what it means to win. This has mostly arisen in games where players can win as a team and who you’re teamed with can change. Iirc Panic Station only really works with a subjective rule that if you don’t start as the host, it’s better to win on the uninfected team than on the infected team. I don’t know Cosmic Encounter well, but it may have something similar, that subjectively a solo win is better than a team win, if possible.

I could go off on a tangent that philosophically I believe the win conditions of all games are ultimately subjective rules, regardless what the designer says, but that’s another discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiller1093 wrote:
Steve I will mention the one good exception to the no subjective rules area. Command control in Dean Essigs designs. His games going all the way back to the Gamers brigade level ACW designs have players making battle plans and then acting on them and its really subjective. But its critical to the design and when played the right way improves the simulation so much to me its worth its subjective nature.

Only of those systems I played was TCS. We used some optional rules from some article that specified more objective restrictions for opsheets, then added a house rule or two on top of that, so there was very little subjective about it. Still I remember at least one occasion where we got into a pretty bad argument over how I was moving my units. The system would be better with much more strict opsheet rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.