19 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: BEST ORGANISER? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis French
Australia
flag msg tools
hello, I've just been looking at some different organisers. whats some opinions on the best organisers to get? also what will happen or people do to store the future expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no storage space left on the base box to store more than possibly two or three additional expansions (with sleeves), even with the most optimized storage solution, so I think that there is no planning for future expansions, at least until we see the box of the Gambler's Chest, which will probably become "the box to store future expansions", or at least, that is my plan.

About storage solutions, I use minercreations' one. It was the original one, and I still think it is one of the sturdiest and most rational organizations out there. Dan Miner seems to have brought the website back up, so you might have a look yourself (https://minercreations.com/, check Kingdom Death Box Organizer).

There are a lot of valid alternative storage solutions out there anyway, so just wait for everyone to post their favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the problem with this question is that hardly anyone is going to buy more than one organizer to compare unless the first one they get is straight up inadequate. So most people are only going to be able to tell you about one of them rather than giving you a ranking or picking out the best.

I have the broken token one, it's pretty good. The main problem is that it doesn't give you a great way of storing very large cardboard pieces (e.g. fairy ring, solar track)or rulebooks. A minor problem, and I have no idea if other organizers do this better, but there you have it.

Here are some pictures I took of the base organizer and Broken Token organizer holding every expansion other than Lion Knight and Lonely tree (and Green Armor but that's just a handful of gear cards).

https://imgur.com/a/GOOl418
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi W
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have built my own organizer out of foamcore boards. It took me three evenings, but it is really worth it. By now I have some custom components which would not have fit otherwise, for example gear in ring binders and some 3d printed gear grids. My organizier also leaves plenty of space for additional content to come. I will post some pictures later...

Update - Pictures of the organizer:

first layer - paperworks and settlement board. Tokens go below the settlement board, with a 3d printed organizer. Also I do have 3d printed gear grids which have their compartment.

second layer - terrain box, rulebooks and settlement cards. Card boxes can be removed, expansion rulebooks go below main rulebook. Below the rulebooks are the gear grid papers.

third layer - plenty of space for game cards. Gear cards are in binders or in small boxes (for running campaigns). There is space for more expansions or other stuff.

I do not have all expansions yet. Currently I fit the base game and 5 or 6 expansions in the game box. With my current insert the box lid has to be elevated:

I have thought to add an insert where I can put in a Feldherr foam insert for some miniatures. The first layer still has plenty of space left for pens, paper, terrain and a lot of other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this one: https://xelaser.co.uk/product/kingdom-death-monster-box-inse...

Can't compare to others, but I am superhappy with it.
All current Expansions already inside, and still LOTS of more space.

Edit: I posted a pic here a while ago: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28535119#28535119
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curios to see if anyone is using the 3D printed options available? And if yes, what did you print and how did your organised it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cymbaline
msg tools
I did a fair amount of research before I bought mine, and I went with Xelaser. It significantly helps setup and take down time for the game, and makes playing easier / more fun as well. The official organizer is a bit of a headache. Pros on the Xelaser:

* Fits all 12 expansions, sleeved, with room to spare
* Can be ordered without gear card storage, which is great since I use gear binders
* Fits sleeved settlement event cards
* Has pencil storage
* Card trays are easily removable, which allows you to pull your common card tray out of the box, put it on the table, and have it accessible
* Has a nice token divider
* Locking, labeled, movable dividers for less wasted space

The cons are that shipping is expensive if you're not in or close to the UK (I'm in the US, and shipping was pretty much the cost of the product) and it's obviously going to be heavier than foam / plastic / etc. options. My core box is damn heavy at this point, no lie.

Personally I would highly recommend it, but you have to find something that works for you. Everyone organizes in their own way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rault wrote:
Curios to see if anyone is using the 3D printed options available? And if yes, what did you print and how did your organised it?

Do you mean for terrain and gear grids and such? I don't recall seeing any 3D printed organizers available the last time I browsed the Kingdom Death tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the Broken Token organizer. It contains all 12 expansions sleeved with plenty of room for more gear and expansion cards for future expansions. The thing I would be most worried about from future expansions are large terrain pieces as it already doesn't have a spot for them. Sunstalker board and the fairy ring don't have a place, but they certainly fit in the box. I'd also be worried about the eventual weight once it has wave four expansions, lol. I think my fully sleeved copy is like 40lbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ATT_Turan wrote:
rault wrote:

Do you mean for terrain and gear grids and such? I don't recall seeing any 3D printed organizers available the last time I browsed the Kingdom Death tag.

There's no full insert for the game but there are some card / token organizers out there.I was curious if anyone did print those and if they arranged them in the box so it fits well.

It'd awesome to have a full 3D printed insert for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
I have this one: https://xelaser.co.uk/product/kingdom-death-monster-box-inse...

Can't compare to others, but I am superhappy with it.
All current Expansions already inside, and still LOTS of more space.

Edit: I posted a pic here a while ago: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28535119#28535119

I have this one too and it is a masterpiece. Fits everything from the core plus all current expansions with room to spare. Mini's not included obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so...

I’ve had about 3 inserts for KD... and I own the original KS1 version. Two were custom made foam cores and one is the minercreations Wood insert that is currently what I use. So I do t move my game around much anymore but the wood insert makes that core box very heavy especially if you are traveling with it... if I had to get another one, I would prolly go for the Folded Space insert they are currently selling for the light weight and durable structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Driver
New Zealand
Christchurch
N/A
flag msg tools
If you have access to a laser cutter I made some plans to let you make your own fairly cheaply: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/178489/kdm-plans-laser-cu... . If you store the gear cards separately these plans would be no use to you but if you store them in a binder as I do then I feel fairly confident that you can't get much more efficient than this design as I experimented a lot to eliminate as much wasted space as possible. Here's some pictures of the completed insert, currently with three expansions and room for a lot more: https://m.imgur.com/a/fenj67y

The main space you could optimise further if you wanted is the box holding the dry erase markers, you could replace this with more token storage or if you wanted to jam things up even more you could get rid of the bottom layer token storage as well and add another space for cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis French
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers and opinions everyone! given me a lot to think about. I guess the other question is: To store the gear cards in a binder or in the box? Which i better? I do have all the expansions so far by the way.

thanks heaps,
this whole board game community is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the broken token organizer and am a little disappointed in it. It feels generic, and while there's a lot of room for future expansion cards, I wish that space was utilized to better store terrain tokens and other pieces that just kind of get tossed into compartments. If I were buying new, I'd seriously consider importing the xe laser insert instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stutzman

North Carolina
msg tools
mb
I'm happy with the Folded Space insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cymbaline
msg tools
AWILDTravis wrote:
I guess the other question is: To store the gear cards in a binder or in the box? Which i better?

A binder! Definitely a binder. Here's my setup.

With the way I have things organized, I throw the settlement locations (or a color copy thereof) in a full-sized sleeve on the left, and then the gear cards (2 max per sleeve spot) on the right. That way you can see what's required to craft the gear on the left and what it does on the right. The binder makes it easy to quickly flip through the locations and gear - far better than shuffling an enormous stack of tiny cards. You also get more space for AI / HL / etc. cards in the main box.

Additionally, doing it this way allows you to avoid sleeving gear cards, if you're into that. We use a 4x5 sleeve sheet for our character grids / sheets (the remaining 10 slots are used for reminder cards), so the gear just goes from binder page to binder page.

Personally, I made two of these so that multiple people can look possible gear over during the settlement phase. They're relatively cheap - just a 2" or 3" three ring binder, sleeve sheets, and possibly color copies from Kinko's.

The gear binders, along with a binder of reminder cards and the official rulebooks, go into a backpack. That leaves enough room in the big box for all of the expansion rulebooks, which are a little too fragile for a backpack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cymbaline wrote:
AWILDTravis wrote:
I guess the other question is: To store the gear cards in a binder or in the box? Which i better?

A binder! Definitely a binder. Here's my setup.

With the way I have things organized, I throw the settlement locations (or a color copy thereof) in a full-sized sleeve on the left, and then the gear cards (2 max per sleeve spot) on the right. That way you can see what's required to craft the gear on the left and what it does on the right. The binder makes it easy to quickly flip through the locations and gear - far better than shuffling an enormous stack of tiny cards. You also get more space for AI / HL / etc. cards in the main box.

Additionally, doing it this way allows you to avoid sleeving gear cards, if you're into that. We use a 4x5 sleeve sheet for our character grids / sheets (the remaining 10 slots are used for reminder cards), so the gear just goes from binder page to binder page.

Personally, I made two of these so that multiple people can look possible gear over during the settlement phase. They're relatively cheap - just a 2" or 3" three ring binder, sleeve sheets, and possibly color copies from Kinko's.

The gear binders, along with a binder of reminder cards and the official rulebooks, go into a backpack. That leaves enough room in the big box for all of the expansion rulebooks, which are a little too fragile for a backpack.

I'd say that, as with the boxes, it is a matter of tastes. Personally, never used binders (and the game takes already enough table space as is) and never felt the need to - but I'm one with usually good memory and sure played enough of the game to instinctively know what I'm doing (literally, once I found the cards we were talking about while I was idly fiddling with the card holders and we were still deciding what to do).

So, basically, binders present you information in an organized way and sacrifice space. Holders allow you for fast setup and tear down and save board space, at the expense of clarity. Your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osku Odi
msg tools
mbmbmb
I suppose this is a bit off topic, since the way I handle it is not really an "Organizer". Also note that our gaming group only has one on-going campaign at a time.

In the core box we store the cards for all the monsters for the current campaign, all other cards are stored in card storage box. Even though I have all the current expansion they arent all needed in the same campaign. So basically all monster cards we will need in one campaign does fit into the core box when sleeved.

Gear cards I have sleeved and put them into a binder. When ever a settlement location is created, I move the corresponding gear from the "storage binder" into "campaign binder", that way there is a lot less gear to browse through.

But yeah, lots of table space still needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.