Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

1864: On To Jutland!» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few different questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the game, and while I'm waiting for it to ship across the Atlantic, I'm giving it a go on Vassal.

During my first playthrough I've come across a couple of different questions about the rules. I'm hoping someone can answer them.

3.4 Two things here. One: May a Prussian HQ contain Austrian units, and vice versa?
Two: Does the Danish Army HQ use the same stacking rules as a Corps HQ?

6.2.1 What exactly is "Naval Transport"? I'm guessing it means "move from one costal town hex to any other costal town hex", but it isn't really spelled out in the rules.

8.1 This rule mentions ships in costal hexes. I'm guessing this it a hold-over from an earlier version of the rules, as I don't see any rules for placing the ship counters on the map. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
I just ordered the game, and while I'm waiting for it to ship across the Atlantic, I'm giving it a go on Vassal.

During my first playthrough I've come across a couple of different questions about the rules. I'm hoping someone can answer them.

3.4 Two things here. One: May a Prussian HQ contain Austrian units, and vice versa?
Two: Does the Danish Army HQ use the same stacking rules as a Corps HQ?

6.2.1 What exactly is "Naval Transport"? I'm guessing it means "move from one costal town hex to any other costal town hex", but it isn't really spelled out in the rules.

8.1 This rule mentions ships in costal hexes. I'm guessing this it a hold-over from an earlier version of the rules, as I don't see any rules for placing the ship counters on the map. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.


Hi Alexander! Thank you for your order, just as a quick aside, our printer is waiting on getting a new printer on Monday for maps, so please give it a few weeks for your game to show up, happy to answer your questions in the meantime.

1. Good question, I should have specified this in the rules. Yes they can, but note if they do so they must use the Austrian combat row on the CRT. Yes, the Danish HQ uses the same rules as the German corps hq.

2/3. You are indeed correct and that these seem to be not fleshed out completely which is my fault. To be specific, coastal hexes are specified as town hexes on a coast I believe (don't have the rules in front of me) and yes, naval transport means players can attempt to move from coastal town hex to coastal town hex. Ships are only on the map for a minute mostly as a visual reminder that they are being used, or how many naval operations you have.

Since I am fairly sure I haven't entered your order yet, I will see about trying to fix these issues today before we get yours and others sent out, that's the one nice thing about print on demand.

Again, I really appreciate posts like these as we try to do our best with editing and quality control, but it's an uphill battle constantly as a 1 person company with unpaid volunteers. Thank you again so much for posting and for your order. I would love to hear about your games once you get them going. Please feel free to ask me any other questions as well, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Best
Ray
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ray.

No worries. I'm already expecting a fairly long wait due to the cross-Atlantic shipping (plus a delay at customs if I'm unlucky), so a a little extra time for printing won't really make much of a difference. As an officer in the Danish armed forces this is a subject that's near and dear to my heart, so I'm just happy to see it finally getting the hex-and-counter treatment .

In the meantime I do actually have a couple of additional questions.

The first group of questions come from looking at the map:
The map legend lists "Crossable strait & and major river". That's clear enough, but the lack of a rigid definition is giving me some problems, since there's a bit of variation in the actual graphical representation.

For example, I assume that most of Slien (the river near Slesvig, Mysunde and Kappel) is fordable, but what about hex 3526?
Similarly, can you cross between hexes 3118 and 3119 or 3008 and 3009?

Also, what, if any, effect does in-hex water have (e.g. hex 2904).

I've also had a look at the revised counters posted here on BGG, which has led me to another couple of questions.

First: The Swedish only seem to have four ship counters, but if they roll nine or ten for ship generation, they should get five. Am I missing something?

Second: Exactly how many depot units do each side get? The seem to have been bumped up from four and three respectively to six and four with the revised counters. Note that I'm comparing to the counter-sheet posted on the consimsltd page.

It may very well be intentional, but it seems like a huge boost to the germans especially. It's already fairly difficult to go out of supply at all, unless you completely get encircled, and with six depots I don't see why the germans don't simply have them follow along really close to their major groupings of units and never have to worry about loosing their Lines of Communication back south (something that's was historically an issue for armies invading Jutland).

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Cheers
Alexander
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
Hi Ray.

No worries. I'm already expecting a fairly long wait due to the cross-Atlantic shipping (plus a delay at customs if I'm unlucky), so a a little extra time for printing won't really make much of a difference. As an officer in the Danish armed forces this is a subject that's near and dear to my heart, so I'm just happy to see it finally getting the hex-and-counter treatment .

In the meantime I do actually have a couple of additional questions.

The first group of questions come from looking at the map:
The map legend lists "Crossable strait & and major river". That's clear enough, but the lack of a rigid definition is giving me some problems, since there's a bit of variation in the actual graphical representation.

For example, I assume that most of Slien (the river near Slesvig, Mysunde and Kappel) is fordable, but what about hex 3526?
Similarly, can you cross between hexes 3118 and 3119 or 3008 and 3009?

Also, what, if any, effect does in-hex water have (e.g. hex 2904).

I've also had a look at the revised counters posted here on BGG, which has led me to another couple of questions.

First: The Swedish only seem to have four ship counters, but if they roll nine or ten for ship generation, they should get five. Am I missing something?

Second: Exactly how many depot units do each side get? The seem to have been bumped up from four and three respectively to six and four with the revised counters. Note that I'm comparing to the counter-sheet posted on the consimsltd page.

It may very well be intentional, but it seems like a huge boost to the germans especially. It's already fairly difficult to go out of supply at all, unless you completely get encircled, and with six depots I don't see why the germans don't simply have them follow along really close to their major groupings of units and never have to worry about loosing their Lines of Communication back south (something that's was historically an issue for armies invading Jutland).

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Cheers
Alexander


Hey Alexander

1. Essentially, all rivers/straits in the game are crossable by the Germans, including all of the hexes you specified. The only type which would not be is one where a player would have to cross an all-sea hex.

2. In hex, water has no effect as designed, could easily do some house rules for those though. I figured the snow abstraction was tough enough on the germans.

3. This is intentional but I neglected to explain, the Swedish navy was smaller than the size of the Danish I believe, so they can at a max generate 4 ships.

4. Rereading these now, I neglect not being more specific with these rules. That said, I believe the backside of most of the German depots is actually Swedish depots. After examining the backsides of the counters, the Germans have 2 depots without Swedish or Danish units on their backside. The Germans may start with those two depots, gaining more if they capture an enemy depot. The Danes may start with all of theirs and so may the Swedes, interchanging the 2 with Danish/Swedish depots on either side as they please. This is a bit of a word salad, but does this make sense? I need to talk to my editor to figure out how to work this into future iterations of the rules.

I apologize for not catching these issues, even though we are a small company ultimately it's my responsibility to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen. Given I'm now not sure if I can fix them in time before they go out to you, shoot me a PM the next time you decide to grab anything from us (if there is a next time) and ill be happy to throw you a discount for the trouble. I really appreciate you giving the game a go as an officer of the Danish armed forces! Also somewhat terrified of what you will think of the game now but thats just me being honest!

Let me know if anything I said is unclear or needs more explanation, I am not the best writer and am utterly dependent on my editor to sound normal

best
ray
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rey.

Once again thanks for the answers. For what it's worth, so far I think the game is flowing very well. I might have a few historical nitpicks here and there (and I might post a variant victory condition at some point), but nothing major. The game first and foremost has to function as a game after all, which I think it does.

That said, I do know a few cavalry officers who might wish to have words with you over the fact that Prussian cavalry are better in the game

Your answers all make good sense to me. The possibility of the Germans capturing depots seems like and especially nice touch, and is actually something that happened during the first Schleswig War.

Specifically for hex 2904 I'll probably make some sort of house-rule. It's a fairly imposing stretch of water, so it feels odd to me not to do something about it. Try doing an image search for "vejlebroen". The hex is right around where the large bridge is today.

Regards
Alexander
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
Hi Rey.

Once again thanks for the answers. For what it's worth, so far I think the game is flowing very well. I might have a few historical nitpicks here and there (and I might post a variant victory condition at some point), but nothing major. The game first and foremost has to function as a game after all, which I think it does.

That said, I do know a few cavalry officers who might wish to have words with you over the fact that Prussian cavalry are better in the game

Your answers all make good sense to me. The possibility of the Germans capturing depots seems like and especially nice touch, and is actually something that happened during the first Schleswig War.

Specifically for hex 2904 I'll probably make some sort of house-rule. It's a fairly imposing stretch of water, so it feels odd to me not to do something about it. Try doing an image search for "vejlebroen". The hex is right around where the large bridge is today.

Regards
Alexander


Hi Alexander,

I am glad it is working for you! To be honest, it was very hard to find affordable detailed information on the Danish forces in english, considering the superiority of Prussian cavalry in 1870, your officer friends could forgive my abstraction hopefully It was my ultimate aim to make it a quick playing game more than a straight-up simulation in order to make the war more accessible for American consumers so it thrills me to know it's doing so for you.

I did just google that stretch of water and it's indeed very huge, once you come up with a rule for the hex let me know and I'll make it official errata, along with your victory condition

best
Ray
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's quite a bit of an advantage being able to all the danish literature on the war . I haven't actually gone over the OOB in detail though, but it's fairly in line with what I would expect.

Regarding hex 2904, I'm probably going to rule as follows:
Any unit entering hex 2904, or attacking a unit in the hex, from any direction, must treat is as though they are crossing a major river (including rolling on the River Crossing Table if German).

It's a bit wonky, but the hex is a bit out of harm's way in any case, so I don't think it'll make too much of a difference. I haven't tried it yet though. I'm my game (I'm a slow player on VASSAL), the Danes are mounting a stout, but ultimately probably doomed, defense at Dannevirke.

If you don't mind another question, rule 5.1 is causing me a bit of confusion - possibly because I don't yet have the actual counters to reference.

First of all, there are tables for Danish, Prussian and Austrian replacement units. However, the Prussians and Austrians seem to use the same unit. Also, there's no Swedish table, even though they seem to have their own replacement units (in VASSAL anyway. I'm assuming they are on the back of the Danish counters in real life).

At the moment I'm playing the rule as though "Prussian" means "German" and "Austrian" should have been "Swedish". I don't know if that's the intent though...

Secondly, the rule states that "Austrian replacements are always received on the following turn’s Replacement Unit Entry Phase." I'm not quite sure how to play this, since they are sharing counters with the Prussians.

Cheers
Alexander

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
Yes, it's quite a bit of an advantage being able to all the danish literature on the war . I haven't actually gone over the OOB in detail though, but it's fairly in line with what I would expect.

Regarding hex 2904, I'm probably going to rule as follows:
Any unit entering hex 2904, or attacking a unit in the hex, from any direction, must treat is as though they are crossing a major river (including rolling on the River Crossing Table if German).

It's a bit wonky, but the hex is a bit out of harm's way in any case, so I don't think it'll make too much of a difference. I haven't tried it yet though. I'm my game (I'm a slow player on VASSAL), the Danes are mounting a stout, but ultimately probably doomed, defense at Dannevirke.

If you don't mind another question, rule 5.1 is causing me a bit of confusion - possibly because I don't yet have the actual counters to reference.

First of all, there are tables for Danish, Prussian and Austrian replacement units. However, the Prussians and Austrians seem to use the same unit. Also, there's no Swedish table, even though they seem to have their own replacement units (in VASSAL anyway. I'm assuming they are on the back of the Danish counters in real life).

At the moment I'm playing the rule as though "Prussian" means "German" and "Austrian" should have been "Swedish". I don't know if that's the intent though...

Secondly, the rule states that "Austrian replacements are always received on the following turn’s Replacement Unit Entry Phase." I'm not quite sure how to play this, since they are sharing counters with the Prussians.

Cheers
Alexander



I think that rule makes sense to me! it will become official errata.

The Danish/Swedish replacements are interchangeable if they have entered the game, the Germans both use the same counters, but they both generate replacements separately. So if the German player rolls 2 replacements, and the Austrian player 3, 2 German RPs come in this turn, and the next turn 3 German RP enter.

From what I understood in reading about the campaign and examining German OOBs, the German units were often mixed with regiments from both nationalities (they all basically understood the same German commands), but it would take the Austrian reinforcements longer to reach the front given the distance involved and train traffic between the theater of war and Austria.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Just for the sake of debate, another Danish friend of mine on facebook is arguing that 2904 was no issue for the German, posting this in response: https://historiskatlas.dk/@55.7057900,9.5322370,16z I quite like your idea though nonetheless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberto87 wrote:

I think that rule makes sense to me! it will become official errata.

The Danish/Swedish replacements are interchangeable if they have entered the game, the Germans both use the same counters, but they both generate replacements separately. So if the German player rolls 2 replacements, and the Austrian player 3, 2 German RPs come in this turn, and the next turn 3 German RP enter.

From what I understood in reading about the campaign and examining German OOBs, the German units were often mixed with regiments from both nationalities (they all basically understood the same German commands), but it would take the Austrian reinforcements longer to reach the front given the distance involved and train traffic between the theater of war and Austria.

Ah. Makes sense. See, I'm learning as well
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberto87 wrote:
Just for the sake of debate, another Danish friend of mine on facebook is arguing that 2904 was no issue for the German, posting this in response: https://historiskatlas.dk/@55.7057900,9.5322370,16z I quite like your idea though nonetheless.

Hmm. I believe he's referencing the Battle of Vejle, where the Austrian Corps under von Gablenz attacked (I believe) the Danish 4th (cavalry) division. However, that took place in the town proper, so in game terms I suppose it would be represented by an assault in hex 2804.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Rasmussen
Denmark
Stoholm Jyll
flag msg tools
new user
Hej alexander

Præcis sønderbro ved Vejle eksitereret siden middelalderen
Vi snakker ikke Vejle fjord
Husk på tyskerne havde held med at krydse ved Als med små både
Ellers havde danskerne kontrol over søen
Jeg har hjulpet Ray en smule med 1864 som har min store interesse
Men alt i dette spil er ikke historisk korrekt men er op til spillerne at skabe historien for deres 1864
Jeg glæder mig også meget til at modtage min kopi af spillet
Og håber det får nogen succes i Danmark

Mvh Ole Rasmussen
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hej Ole.

Jeg tror sådan set, at vi er helt enige. Har du set spillets kort? Det jeg taler om, er feltet der dækker fjorden umiddelbart øst for Vejle by (ca. der hvor Vejlefjordbroen ligger i dag). På grund af den måde kortet er tegnet, tæller det teknisk set som "åbent land", hvilket jeg syntes måske var en anelse upræcist (for at underdrive lidt). Jeg foreslog derfor, at der blev lavet en særregel for det felt.

Vi er helt enige om, at det skal være let at bevæge sig gennem selve Vejle by.

Mvh
Alexander
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Curious as to what this exchange resulted in! lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of cause blush. Ole basically agreed that he was referring to The Battle of Vejle. There had been a bridge over the water in the town since the middle ages, so it was the easiest place to cross.

I gave a short overview of my suggestion regarding hex 2904 (i.e. the one that doesn't cover the town)

He also said that he's looking forward to getting the game and that he's hoping that it'll do well here in denmark (I agree BTW ).

I've also almost worked out my suggestion for a variant victory condition. I'll post it in a separate thread tomorrow, if I can find the time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well hello again. I've hit upon another question. I hope you're not getting tired of me whistle

If a defending unit retreats (or is routed) as a consequence of artillery bombardment, may the attacking force advance into the cleared hex, or is that rule (7.7) only applied to after an assault?

On the topic of retreats:
Can german units retreat across major rivers/crossable straits?
and
Does anything happen if a unit, for whatever reason, can't retreat the full distance?

Regards
Alexander


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
Well hello again. I've hit upon another question. I hope you're not getting tired of me whistle

If a defending unit retreats (or is routed) as a consequence of artillery bombardment, may the attacking force advance into the cleared hex, or is that rule (7.7) only applied to after an assault?

On the topic of retreats:
Can German units retreat across major rivers/crossable straits?
and
Does anything happen if a unit, for whatever reason, can't retreat the full distance?

Regards
Alexander




Hi Alexander, please feel free to ask me as many questions as you please. As a general rule when it comes to my games if the rules don't say that you can't do it, then you should otherwise assume you can (unless it's patently absurd in which then I've screwed up). So with that in mind, the answer to your questions:

1. Yes, Bombardment/Assault are generally considered part of the same combat phase. At a scale of 2 weeks per turn, it's assumed that an attacking force would be able to pursue a force that flees outright.

2. Yes, all units can retreat across all hexes except those described as impassible (all sea hexes) but I think there are also specific rules for EZOCs etc (don't have a copy in front of me right now).

3. Units that are unable to retreat the required amount are eliminated.

EDIT: All I ask in return kindly is at some point you either share your thoughts on the game as a comment or review here, thank you again
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberto87 wrote:

Hi Alexander, please feel free to ask me as many questions as you please.
[...]
EDIT: All I ask in return kindly is at some point you either share your thoughts on the game as a comment or review here, thank you again

Be careful what you ask for; I'm capable of asking a lot of, more or less, stupid questions

Anyway, I'll be sure to leave a review once I get some time with the physical copy.

Liberto87 wrote:

1. Yes, Bombardment/Assault are generally considered part of the same combat phase. At a scale of 2 weeks per turn, it's assumed that an attacking force would be able to pursue a force that flees outright.

Roger.
So, a follow-up question, just to be sure if I've understood the rule: If a unit retreats as a consequence of bombardment, can the attacking unit do a follow-up move and immediately assault the same unit (assuming it can reach it), or would the follow-up move technically happen after any potential assault?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
Liberto87 wrote:

Hi Alexander, please feel free to ask me as many questions as you please.
[...]
EDIT: All I ask in return kindly is at some point you either share your thoughts on the game as a comment or review here, thank you again

Be careful what you ask for; I'm capable of asking a lot of, more or less, stupid questions

Anyway, I'll be sure to leave a review once I get some time with the physical copy.

Liberto87 wrote:

1. Yes, Bombardment/Assault are generally considered part of the same combat phase. At a scale of 2 weeks per turn, it's assumed that an attacking force would be able to pursue a force that flees outright.

Roger.
So, a follow-up question, just to be sure if I've understood the rule: If a unit retreats as a consequence of bombardment, can the attacking unit do a follow-up move and immediately assault the same unit (assuming it can reach it), or would the follow-up move technically happen after any potential assault?


I'm not sure I totally understand your second question, but I think your second interpretation is correct, though if a force retreats as a result of bombardment there would be no assault since they retreated, so de-facto your first assertion is correct, technically it is after any theoretical combat that would happen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - thanks.

To me, that simply means that you'll sometimes want to hold off on bombardment since, if the target unit retreats, you won't then be able to assault it. Of cause, sometimes you'll be fine with it simply leaving some important hex, so I think it's a nice tactical decision.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
Ok - thanks.

To me, that simply means that you'll sometimes want to hold off on bombardment since, if the target unit retreats, you won't then be able to assault it. Of cause, sometimes you'll be fine with it simply leaving some important hex, so I think it's a nice tactical decision.


Ahhh ok I see what you mean now! Yes that is indeed intentional design wise
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. I may be be slightly dense, but to be perfectly honest I'm still a little uncertain about the combat phase. In fairness it's probably the most unusual aspect of the game, but I guess I could just really benefit from a detailed, step-by-step overview of combat, including the timing of retreats, "advances after combat" and potential repeats of the assault sub-phase.

Combat is usually fairly straightforward, but in engagements with a lot of different units it can sometimes get slightly confused.

One thing in particular: if unit A assaults unit B and gets a "defender retreats" result, can unit A do an "advances after combat", putting it adjacent to unit B again, and then attack it again if the player repeats the assault sub-phase?
I'm assuming yes, but I wanted to be certain?

Also, an "exchange" result on the CRT means that the entire defending hex is routed, and that the attacker must "Rout steps equal to half the total defending steps Routed (round down)." That's fairly clear to me (if quite brutal - that's not a criticism ), but I'm wondering if the use of the word "Rout" means that the attacker must rout as many units as possible, or if you can spread the step losses out amongst any number of participating units (which often lets you avoid losing any units, as long as there are enough two-step units in the attack)?

Sorry for the wall of text.

All the best
Alexander
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
Thanks again. I may be be slightly dense, but to be perfectly honest I'm still a little uncertain about the combat phase. In fairness it's probably the most unusual aspect of the game, but I guess I could just really benefit from a detailed, step-by-step overview of combat, including the timing of retreats, "advances after combat" and potential repeats of the assault sub-phase.

Combat is usually fairly straightforward, but in engagements with a lot of different units it can sometimes get slightly confused.

One thing in particular: if unit A assaults unit B and gets a "defender retreats" result, can unit A do an "advances after combat", putting it adjacent to unit B again, and then attack it again if the player repeats the assault sub-phase?
I'm assuming yes, but I wanted to be certain?

Also, an "exchange" result on the CRT means that the entire defending hex is routed, and that the attacker must "Rout steps equal to half the total defending steps Routed (round down)." That's fairly clear to me (if quite brutal - that's not a criticism ), but I'm wondering if the use of the word "Rout" means that the attacker must rout as many units as possible, or if you can spread the step losses out amongst any number of participating units (which often lets you avoid losing any units, as long as there are enough two-step units in the attack)?

Sorry for the wall of text.

All the best
Alexander


Hi Alexander,

Please, no need to apologize and you aren't dense at all if anything, my rules aren't clear enough or specific enough and that's a fault on my end, so if anything, I apologize that some things haven't been explained as well as others. Admittedly, our first 5 games we put out fairly rushed and I'm honestly surprised there haven't been more issues (though delighted).

You are indeed right that combat is the most unusual aspect of the game. It takes several tried and true wargaming conventions and turns them on their head to basically fit into the dual-scale the game was designed at. I originally had a much more complicated system in mind with battle maps but it ended up being too crazy for what we are going for with the 2140 series.

Anyway, you are correct that a unit can be attacked twice in the way you described, I've never particularly agreed with this restriction in most wargames as I think it's too heavily abstracted, especially if you are simulating weeks or months at a time.

As for your second question, the latter interpretation is correct, you can substitute the word Rout for eliminates steps equal to as that probably makes more sense.

As always feel free to ask anything, anytime.

Ray
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. So the detailed combat sequence might look something like this (please correct me if I’m wrong):

1. Combat phase begins

2. Bombardment Sub-phase

2.1. Nominate target hex and attacking hex(es). Remember that each artillery unit can only attack once per bombardment sub-phase.
2.2. Determine column on Artillery Fire Table, roll dice and apply results (including any retreats).
2.3. Repeat 2.1. - 2.2.

3. First Assault Sub-phase
3.1. Nominate target hex and attacking hex(es). Remember that each unit can only be attacked once per assault sub-phase.
3.2. Determine column on Combat Result Table, roll dice and apply results (including any retreats).
3.3. Perform Advance After Combat - including into hexes that were abandoned during the bombardment sub-phase.
3.4. Repeat 3.1. - 3.3. as long as active player wishes and there are eligible targets.

4. Additional Assault Sub-phase(s)
4.1. Nominate target hex and attacking hex(es). Remember that each unit can only be attacked once per assault sub-phase.
4.2. Determine column on Combat Result Table, roll dice and apply results (including any retreats).
4.3. Perform Advance After Combat
4.4. All attacking units are Disorganized (potentially becoming Demoralized)
4.5. Repeat 4.1 - 4.4. as long as active player wishes and there are eligible targets.

5. Repeat 4. as many times as active player wishes and has non-Demoralized units to attack with.

6. Combat phase ends


For what it's worth, I think the system makes good sense given the long period of time each turn represents. You just have to get used to it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
Ok. So the detailed combat sequence might look something like this (please correct me if I’m wrong):

1. Combat phase begins

2. Bombardment Sub-phase

2.1. Nominate target hex and attacking hex(es). Remember that each artillery unit can only attack once per bombardment sub-phase.
2.2. Determine column on Artillery Fire Table, roll dice and apply results (including any retreats).
2.3. Repeat 2.1. - 2.2.

3. First Assault Sub-phase
3.1. Nominate target hex and attacking hex(es). Remember that each unit can only be attacked once per assault sub-phase.
3.2. Determine column on Combat Result Table, roll dice and apply results (including any retreats).
3.3. Perform Advance After Combat - including into hexes that were abandoned during the bombardment sub-phase.
3.4. Repeat 3.1. - 3.3. as long as active player wishes and there are eligible targets.

4. Additional Assault Sub-phase(s)
4.1. Nominate target hex and attacking hex(es). Remember that each unit can only be attacked once per assault sub-phase.
4.2. Determine column on Combat Result Table, roll dice and apply results (including any retreats).
4.3. Perform Advance After Combat
4.4. All attacking units are Disorganized (potentially becoming Demoralized)
4.5. Repeat 4.1 - 4.4. as long as active player wishes and there are eligible targets.

5. Repeat 4. as many times as active player wishes and has non-Demoralized units to attack with.

6. Combat phase ends


For what it's worth, I think the system makes good sense given the long each turn represents. You just have to get used to it.


Your detailed SOP is perfect, you have it down exactly. I think normally, games at the hex/unit scale I used are usually much smaller scale such as days or even hours, but the game would basically take forever in that case. One reason why many of our games end up having a dual-scale is so we can cover topics we want to within a reasonable amount of playing time, GDW used to do a similar thing with a lot of their 120 series games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.