enrico fra
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played LoL Epic Multiplayer at our local pub.
We ran into an issue that seemed to me a very bad design choice, and I want to be sure we got it right.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

In the first room, the group C had to pull a lever. Then we had to look into the room of group A to see the effect of the action. It was wrong, and the resolution said that the group C investigator died.
Bom. Just like that, without any warning.

Now, in the first chapter, in the first room, the group C had no hints of what the effect could have been. No in-game elements to understand the effect of their action. The player has been excluded from the game for the 2.5 hours left.

This looked like a deus-ex-machina hardcore resolution that is just punitive, and I see no sense to it.

I know there are elements that allow groups to interact and trade hints and messages, but in the first turns this cannot happen yet, but the player was able already to sign his own death.

How is this possible from a game-design point of view???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fraenrico wrote:
Yesterday we played LoL Epic Multiplayer at our local pub.
We ran into an issue that seemed to me a very bad design choice, and I want to be sure we got it right.

In the first room, the group C had to pull a lever. Then we had to look into the room of group A to see the effect of the action. It was wrong, and the resolution said that the group C investigator died.
Bom. Just like that, without any warning.

Now, in the first chapter, in the first room, the group C had no hints of what the effect could have been. No in-game elements to understand the effect of their action. The player has been excluded from the game for the 2.5 hours left.

This looked like a deus-ex-machina hardcore resolution that is just punitive, and I see no sense to it.

I know there are elements that allow groups to interact and trade hints and messages, but in the first turns this cannot happen yet, but the player was able already to sign his own death.

How is this possible from a game-design point of view???

The Act card fully tells you that if you pull the wrong lever you will be killed. It also tells you that you have until the agenda advances to pull the lever. So with a 6 doom threshold on the agenda, pulling the lever too early was entirely on your team.

Hopefully you also read the agenda that lets you draw a story card at the end of the round if there is at least one doom. Did you do that? It should have told you what you needed to know to pull the right lever.

However it also sounds like you may have missed that the act doesn't advance until you are told to. You don't just pull the lever and advance the act. So you might have played wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enrico fra
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the accurate reply.

I didn't read the actual card for the group C, but only relied on the player's telling. Now I see that the action should have been taken with more cautiousness.
We played it right, both the advance of agendas and the story cards, but probably the player didn't figure out what was needed to be done.

That said, I'm still convinced that causing a player's death in such an early stage of a long adventure is not a great idea. It's true that the player did have clues to work with, as opposite to what I understood at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I would say it is a matter of opinion. Having played it myself I've never witnessed any deaths (even though every act pretty much presents the opportunity for an instant kill if you don't follow the instructions) but as far as a design choice, I feel it is important to the theme. Without the player death's the consequences and tension wouldn't be present in this scenario, at least not in the way that's intended.

And especially in a stand-alone scenario that is meant to be more difficult and different than traditional Arkham scenarios, I think it's perfectly reasonable. But again, to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.