Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy way to play this game as the Americans is to sweep the south early and get Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Leaving New York, New Jersey, and Deleware as places that the British can accumulate troops. By the time you are done taking the south, the British are too strong to do anything with New England. The option left is to cherry pick Maine, Nova Scotia, and Quebec, trying to keep the British from holding all 3.
Is it more important to move early in New England? You run the risk of thinning out your own armies in Massachuttes, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.
What's the proper strategy??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn’t there be a spoiler alert here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I didn't think so. It is what the game setup lends itself to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Slotracer wrote:

Why? He's talking game strategy in the strategy section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Jeeze, I always seem to be contesting New England and the Mid-Atlantics first. I always see opportunity in Massachusetts at the beginning of the game.

Then again I'm an armchair historian, so I may just be looking to replay the war.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats why I think it is so backward. I feel like I should contest New England.
If you can take away Deleware you can restrict where the Brits can reinforce.
Make them only enter through Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's highly situational, depending on your cards and what the British player does. Also whether you're planning on a long game or a short game. If you are dealt one (or even better, both) truce cards initially, you can write off one part of the board and plan to grab enough territory elsewhere to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At game beginning, you still have a lot of time to consolidate New England. But taking the Southern port(s) away from the British consolidates the South, focuses the British on just the North, allowing the end game to concentrate in the Northern colonies. Allowing the British access to a southern port is a thorn in your side. Plus, with their elimination in the South, its colony victory points for you that are being denied to the British, making a stalemate in the north go your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekDadGamer wrote:
At game beginning, you still have a lot of time to consolidate New England. But taking the Southern port(s) away from the British consolidates the South, focuses the British on just the North, allowing the end game to concentrate in the Northern colonies. Allowing the British access to a southern port is a thorn in your side. Plus, with their elimination in the South, its colony victory points for you that are being denied to the British, making a stalemate in the north go your way.

Yeah thats the way I see it too. Thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Blaschke
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wait a minute....

The south consists of just 3 colonies (4 if you include VA). So the south is by far not enough for winning this game. My experience is that it is very time consuming to conquer the south. Further, it is impossible to garrison the coastline in a way which prevents a British Invasion by sea, spoiling your achievements in the south.

While you concentrate on the south, the Brits usually have enough time to contest your position in MA, RI and CT, thereby taking away your option to bring in reinforcements there. Once this happens it is game over.

In my opinion, concentrating on the south as American is a sure fire recipe for failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I’m asking. What’s the consensus? I think Delaware is the most valuable to take early. If you can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaware is a quagmire that goes back and forth.
Yes the British can invade the South. And I have seen it done.
But once they do, it divides their resources allowing you an easier northern strategy at that point. It is his choice to invade the South, but his resources are badly needed in the North where you now have the pressure (in the later game).
Timing is everything, and the game is very much wide open. Everything goes awry if the British gets 3 or 4 phases (over 2 turns).
But I like to make the British respond to me rather than the other way around.
I have fought and denied Delaware to the British, pushing them to just a Canadian port, only to see them fight their way back. Without the South, or a Southern invasion, Delaware is less easier for them to retake.

The nice thing about 1775, is because of the chaotic nature of the timing of the turns, the best laid plans often need to be improvised on the spot. My strategy is to always keep the British responding to my moves and not the other way around...and go where he is not. Frustrated the guy I played the game with, though he got good and learned how to create initiative and make me respond. And that is what I really like about the game...feint, bluff, drive, and get lucky with the dice and move iniatives.

And yes, if I could end the game early with an advantage, I did as quickly as I could when holding the 2nd treaty card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the conversation I was looking for. Thank you all. This is a cool game. Even though it has very little accuracy, it is still compelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

NO NEED. The OP just thinks he’s found the one solution to always win the game. Playing twice with different people will disabuse that notion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Slotracer wrote:

NO NEED. The OP just thinks he’s found the one solution to always win the game. Playing twice with different people will disabuse that notion.

Pretty sure I said just wanted to see people’s opinions. But the snark is so much appreciated. In fact it’s mostly expected in this site anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Keep in mind that the game situation benefits from our knowledge of history..

When the war broke out, the southern states weren't a factor at all, in anyone's mind. The rebellion was in the north. But with the knowledge we have today, the southern states are indeed a factor in this game, from the very beginning... hence this conversation.

If we want to play this game with the same strategic factors that were at play then, we would need to rule that the sountern states are off limits for play until 1778.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Royce
United States
St Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
As others have said, cards make a difference. However, a southern strategy can work for the Americans (especially if you get the French down south early), but you can't give up your northern colonies, or you won't be able to reinforce and counterattack up there.
Another note: Quebec is vulnerable to boat attack, and as American you can take it away with a boat move late in the game. For example, knowing you will play the second truce card, send boat to Quebec and then take one area somewhere else up north (Nova Scotia? Vermont?), and you have essentially ambushed the British at the very end, taking away two of their colonies.
All that said, a southern strategy, without a few cards to back it up, can really hurt you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.