Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
Magellan1 wrote:
Ultimately everything has an expiration date though, even people. So should a middle-aged gamer who is let's say 50 years old just never buy a board game because the gamer himself will probably expire in 20 years or so?

No, we should just get 50% off MSRP on everything!

Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windows version of the JIME app works without Steam.

Installed it via Steam on one PC, right-clicked on the app, selected Properties->Local Files, clicked on Browse Local Files..., copied the app folder to another PC via flash drive and it ran fine.

No Steam, no problem.

I'll bet that the game will work just fine in 100 years via emulation in our cyberjacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do find the continual posting of this topic of app driven board games fairly amusing considering most of us are probably driving modern cars with digital based engine management modules. If your cars ECU ever needs replacing and its not covered by warranty. A free app for a board game that someone could code an emulator to run is going to be the least of your worries considering ECU’s cost between $1000 - $3000 just for the part alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
What happened with Golem Arcana in the end?

iOS users can no longer play it. On android it is still working. These things can happen here too one day but I don't think Asmodee will risk the loss of reputation by leaving the app behind unusable like Harebrained Schemes did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

iOS users can no longer play it. On android it is still working. These things can happen here too one day but I don't think Asmodee will risk the loss of reputation by leaving the app behind unusable like Harebrained Schemes did.

Such an apt name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Golem Arcana is interesting...After they stopped production the app development ended as well. The existing version of the iOS and Android apps stayed in the app stores, but after a few iOS updates the app was no longer compatible on modern devices. Android lasted a bit longer but I believe it is also unavailable on the Play Store but can still be obtained fairly easily from other sources.

I personally enjoyed the game so I picked up a dirt cheap set when everything was liquidated. Along with that I grabbed a cheap 7" Fire Tablet during a Black Friday sale and that just lives in the box with the game.

In addition the community made physical cards that I had printed for all the units / knights / upgrades in the game so the game can be played completely without the app (though I'll admit this was totally overboard )

All that said, I don't think JIME or any of these other FFG games will suffer the same fate. Golem Arcana was ONLY available on iOS and Android and never had a PC release. In addition they were never able to publicly release the source code for the game as it contained other 3rd party license software within it, so the game completely died. I also highly doubt FFG will ever release the source code for these games for various reason but again the PC app isn't going anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattamd wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Golem Arcana is interesting...After they stopped production the app development ended as well. The existing version of the iOS and Android apps stayed in the app stores, but after a few iOS updates the app was no longer compatible on modern devices. Android lasted a bit longer but I believe it is also unavailable on the Play Store but can still be obtained fairly easily from other sources.

I personally enjoyed the game so I picked up a dirt cheap set when everything was liquidated. Along with that I grabbed a cheap 7" Fire Tablet during a Black Friday sale and that just lives in the box with the game.

In addition the community made physical cards that I had printed for all the units / knights / upgrades in the game so the game can be played completely without the app (though I'll admit this was totally overboard )

All that said, I don't think JIME or any of these other FFG games will suffer the same fate. Golem Arcana was ONLY available on iOS and Android and never had a PC release. In addition they were never able to publicly release the source code for the game as it contained other 3rd party license software within it, so the game completely died. I also highly doubt FFG will ever release the source code for these games for various reason but again the PC app isn't going anywhere.

The posts here prompted me to look further into this, and I think you are right, there is far less chance of something similar happening here. Firstly FFG is a much larger company and is a subsidiary of an even larger one and so have quite a lot to lose by alienating customers in this way. Secondly the technology here was more elaborate in that they were using some sort of light pen to transmit information to the app, so I suspect that this extra complexity might have contributed to the difficulties in maintaining the app.

It is interesting that the community provided support that enables people to continue to play the game should the company in this case fail to provide support for the app. Something that I suggested might happen if FFG eventually withdraw support for the LotR:JiME app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you go to the app store and look at the other FFG apps for board games. There is also plenty of evidence that FFG support the app side of their board games to the same level as the physical products. Plenty of updates for all their apps, plus its ultimately a 2nd revenue stream via DLC purchases. Not to mention with X-wing 2 they moved towards an app based solution for squad management and to make value adjustment for organsied play. Considering X-wing is one FFG’s flagship products its more evidence that they take this digital side of the product line serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Xenoshyft app on Steam by Asmodee Digital was unplayable for some month before it was fixed. So don't be too sure that everything will stay smooth only because Asmodee is involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.