Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Cry" skill - is it free to use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This skill says it can be used "once per turn" but there's no mention of using energy cubes. Does that mean it's a free action? I'm guessing it was not intended to be a free action but a literal reading of the rulebook suggests that it is. Seems kinda broken.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Mentor
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:

This skill says it can be used "once per turn" but there's no mention of using energy cubes. Does that mean it's a free action? I'm guessing it was not intended to be a free action but a literal reading of the rulebook suggests that it is. Seems kinda broken.



If it doesn't mention a cost, typically skills and traits are free actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Free but only once per turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


So you can use it while resting then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
Glic2003 wrote:


So you can use it while resting then?


As long there is no FAQ/Errata preventing it, I would say yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would tend to say No because you don’t get to the Perform an Automatic Manipulation step.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:


So you can use it while resting then?

Probably not. From another thread:

warriorban wrote:
...all free action are clearly specify as free action no matter if it's cost eneergy cube or not. If you want to know which action are free reead the description if it's not clearly state as a free action it's not a free action.


So regardless of whether it costs a cube to use or not, it will be specifically called a ‘Free Action’ if it is one.

Monolith once described free actions to me as things like ‘Retaliate’, which is very different from actions like ‘Cry’.

If an action sounds too good to be a free action, or doesn’t quite fit with the notion of a ‘resting’ character, it probably isn’t a free action.

Edit: Looking in the rulebook, ‘Retaliation’ (for example) is described as a ‘free ranged attack’. (It may be worth noting that it still requires dice to use). Nothing about the description of ‘Cry’ describes it as free.

Edit 2: I think we need to move away from the idea that a free action just means it doesn’t cost anything. Rather, it’s a specific category of action, and is labeled as such in the description.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
I would tend to say No because you don’t get to the Perform an Automatic Manipulation step.


That's what I thought. But when I looked at the definition of a Free Action, it seemed to meet that definition. And Free Actions can be used while resting.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having said all that, I can understand why such a powerful attack isn’t a free action, but I’ve got no idea why they decided to make ‘Cry’ an action with zero cost.

I’d’ve thought it was at least an automatic ‘something’ with a cost of one cube.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
Having said all that, I can understand why such a powerful attack isn’t a free action, but I’ve got no idea why they decided to make ‘Cry’ an action with zero cost.

I’d’ve thought it was at least an automatic ‘something’ with a cost of one cube.


Yes, exactly. I would almost rather house it to require one cube so it doesn't create disputes.

In any case, I don't think I would allow its use while resting, even if a literal reading of the rules seems to imply it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony berart
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:
I would tend to say No because you don’t get to the Perform an Automatic Manipulation step.


That's what I thought. But when I looked at the definition of a Free Action, it seemed to meet that definition. And Free Actions can be used while resting.







Cry is not a freee action and you can seee that it's not a free action beacause in tthe description of cry thee rules don't tell you it's free action.
The term "free" in the rules is not for the cost, it's a specific wording for the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
warriorban wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:
I would tend to say No because you don’t get to the Perform an Automatic Manipulation step.


That's what I thought. But when I looked at the definition of a Free Action, it seemed to meet that definition. And Free Actions can be used while resting.







Cry is not a freee action and you can seee that it's not a free action beacause in tthe description of cry thee rules don't tell you it's free action.
The term "free" in the rules is not for the cost, it's a specific wording for the game.


Ah, I think that's confusing though. In every other game that I've played, when there are "free" actions it generally refers to the cost or that the action can still be performed when regular actions cannot. But if Cry is the only instance of this weird wording, an easy fix would be a line added at the end of the skill "Cry is not a free action."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony berart
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:
warriorban wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:
I would tend to say No because you don’t get to the Perform an Automatic Manipulation step.


That's what I thought. But when I looked at the definition of a Free Action, it seemed to meet that definition. And Free Actions can be used while resting.







Cry is not a freee action and you can seee that it's not a free action beacause in tthe description of cry thee rules don't tell you it's free action.
The term "free" in the rules is not for the cost, it's a specific wording for the game.


Ah, I think that's confusing though. In every other game that I've played, when there are "free" actions it generally refers to the cost or that the action can still be performed when regular actions cannot. But if Cry is the only instance of this weird wording, an easy fix would be a line added at the end of the skill "Cry is not a free action."


True for the weird wording but at the begining we think about automatic but allready use in the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The problem is that page 43 of the rule book has a very vague - and probably far too generous - definition of what a "Free Action" is.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Solka
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am only read the rules and not played yet. but one Thing i dont understand. what ist the diffrent between cry and blast skill? If cry is not a free Action. thanks, and sorry for bad english
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gambit Rogue
msg tools
mbmb
Free actions are defense, rerolls and skills that are ‘responsive’ or ‘reactive’ to an opponents actions (like counter attack). The cry skill may not cost a cube to use, but it is an active action and cannot be used while resting. I think of it as aggressive driving vs defensive driving.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joke82 wrote:
i am only read the rules and not played yet. but one Thing i dont understand. what ist the diffrent between cry and blast skill? If cry is not a free Action. thanks, and sorry for bad english


Blast costs a cube while Cry doesn't cost anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.