David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello team,

I convinced my tabletop group to try out a P&P version of BotC that I'll be storytelling. I've reviewed the rules and am generally prepared, but it's hard to predict how many things will actually play out in the game itself. For people who have played or run a game already, are there any tips or "need-to-know" items that are important to offer to help smooth a first play?

The group that'll be playing are mostly Resistance: Avalon veterans (hundreds of games played) with some who are "serious" gamers (e.g. Terra Mystica) who are willing to try the game out but aren't Avalon junkies.

And a related, more specific question, how have other storytellers gone about crafting the set of roles and setup they'll use? Are there general principles, preferred, combos, "nonbos", etc.?

Thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Beep! Boop!
badge
Boop! Boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with a print and play version also and tried looking for set ideas and information about what works well together but I ended up doing it myself. If there is a ressource for fun sets in the 3 base scripts i'd be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
Coconut Creek
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I made my tokens using thick presentation paper hot glued to felt.

The box is just an Amazon box with felt on the bottom and a middle divider connected by duct tape. And then the box was covered in duct tape for strength and to make it look better than a cardboard box.

The death shrouds were made by creating a shelf out of two-sided tape. The shelf was taped to the thick presentation paper shaped like a shroud. The shelf was cut with a curve matching the character tokens. The shelf sits on the character tokens.

Everything turned out well, but realize, it was a lot of work, and it took a lot of time. It was worth it though, because the game really is good.

When at the fabric store to buy the felt, I did notice that there is a big difference between the stickiness of the felt. Try all the felt to see which one sticks best.

Good luck making your game. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gjengset
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's some good advice for your first few games over in https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2180655/simplified-set-..., and the Storyteller Advice page on the wiki is also a pretty good resource!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Coles
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going the full felt route, may I suggest Scotch Felt Furniture Pads, I fould 1.5" ones to be perfect, and they are sticky backed so cardstock sticks to them nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.