flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MODULE 1: BATTEFIELD TILE

English & French version 1.0

FAQ

- "BEFORE A BATTLE CONDITION"
must be replaced by:
"CONDITION: WHEN PLAYERS ENGAGE IN COMBAT"
wich mean that all faction's "Before combat" and other "Before you engage in combat" abilities triggers first
only after the players' power is counted to know if it is greater than or equal to 7

- As long as the Battefield is placed on a territory with a tunnel (printed on the board), this tunnel is unavailable.

pdf file https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/179914/battefield-mini-ex....

MODULE 1: BATTEFIELD TILE https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31788349#31788349
MODULE 3: ELITE COMBAT CARDS https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31793916#31793916

Feel free to add your feedbacks & suggestions !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Interesting, that functions in a similar (but admittedly still different) way to a mechanic in my expansion I'm working on.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2173183/scythe-roaring-revo...
I still need to get some more play testing in and update the post with more graphics and better formatting, but I'd be curious to see what you think about what I'm trying also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticalNinja wrote:
Interesting, that functions in a similar (but admittedly still different) way to a mechanic in my expansion I'm working on.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2173183/scythe-roaring-revo...
I still need to get some more play testing in and update the post with more graphics and better formatting, but I'd be curious to see what you think about what I'm trying also.

I'll take a look at it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Rocha
Brazil
Nova Lima
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Putting this here while I try to think of something really clever...
badge
Just smile, no one gets out alive.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This mini-extension sharpens the offensive and "take that" fear side of Scythe without making it a hot wargame.
Players can no longer allow the military aspect to be neglected even in the late part of the game.
It's also renforce the crescendo military power feeling.

Lassimer wrote:
I like it!

Thanks, design goal here is simple & quick but effective rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Galbraith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite fan-variant yet. Simple to add in and doesn't change the essence of the game, but gives the game a little extra flavor. I especially like the concept of having a tile that can't produce anything, which adds incentive to battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Alecincr wrote:
This is my favorite fan-variant yet. Simple to add in and doesn't change the essence of the game, but gives the game a little extra flavor. I especially like the concept of having a tile that can't produce anything, which adds incentive to battle.

I don't understand this "adds incentive to battle" sentiment. I would argue (playing devil's advocate here) that this could very well discourage combat, as the Victor in a now desolate hex can't do anything with it. Thus making the fight less worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herschel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. It certainly makes structures (and to a lesser extent traps) a riskier proposition, hard to say to what extent.

To clarify, it doesn't matter how much power players spend, only that one of them has 7+ power on power track?

And finally, in the end game scoring section, I'd edit it to say "The player who controls battlefield territory removes one of these star tokens from the triumph track before his scoring." More generally, I'm troubled how many rulebooks talk about players as though they're all male.

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate the creativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticalNinja wrote:
Alecincr wrote:

I don't understand this "adds incentive to battle" sentiment. I would argue (playing devil's advocate here) that this could very well discourage combat, as the Victor in a now desolate hex can't do anything with it. Thus making the fight less worthwhile.
It depends on what the objective is. I would argue that it would be useful in denying an opponent a hex that they really wanted. Enter the space, destroy it, and then leave. The space would remain desolate until the next major battle takes place. If your opponent attempts to avoid this possibility by leaving only workers in a hex, you can still deny them the hex by occupying it.

This reminds me very much of the robber token in Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Enter the space, destroy it, and then leave. The space would remain desolate until the next major battle takes place."
Ok, assuming you use this logic, would you really want to give somebody a combat victory star to deny them resource production?

I'm just saying that I wouldn't, and it feels odd to me that this "punishes" the winner of a combat, regardless of what stage you are in of the game. Very thematic, but discourages combat and going above 6 power to some extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticalNinja wrote:
"Enter the space, destroy it, and then leave. The space would remain desolate until the next major battle takes place."
Ok, assuming you use this logic, would you really want to give somebody a combat victory star to deny them resource production?

I'm just saying that I wouldn't, and it feels odd to me that this "punishes" the winner of a combat, regardless of what stage you are in of the game. Very thematic, but discourages combat and going above 6 power to some extent.

To be accurate! On one hand it discourage battle with (production shortage) on the other hand it encourage battle (by moving the battelfield elsewhere)

High battle level is like a dangerous weapon which mean to be used carefully, if your goal is to invade a territory to extend your production possibility you must manage do it at low power leve when your opponent is weakened... good timing planning and clever manipulation & diplomacy helps a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticalNinja wrote:

Who said anything about giving a combat star? The tile is desolate whether the attacker wins or looses. So, enter, win the combat, take the combat star, then leave later. The only penalty for the attacker is the inability to produce on the tile, which might be a non-issue depending on their personal reasons for initiating battle in the first place. Seems like an interesting method for punishing players who turtle too much. Plus, the -1 star penalty is for controlling the battlefield, not for creating it.

If you need a combat star, why not twist the dagger a little more while doing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lassimer wrote:
AnalyticalNinja wrote:

Who said anything about giving a combat star? The tile is desolate whether the attacker wins or looses. So, enter, win the combat, take the combat star, then leave later. The only penalty for the attacker is the inability to produce on the tile, which might be a non-issue depending on their personal reasons for initiating battle in the first place. Seems like an interesting method for punishing players who turtle too much. Plus, the -1 star penalty is for controlling the battlefield, not for creating it.

If you need a combat star, why not twist the dagger a little more while doing it?

Ok, but in this scenario you have to use two move actions on the same combat unit just to get 1 combat star (and make sure it counts at the end of the game), thus making combat even less efficient than it already was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no constraints at low battle level (less than 7 power), nothing changes. At a high battle level it is no longer a question of doing battle nonchalantly you have to be even more ready for opportunistic manoeuvres and even more clever in modeling profitable conditions for your battles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Konigsberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metadna wrote:
BATTEFIELD MINI-EXTENSION (PnP + Rules)

English & French version 1.0

pdf file https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/179914/battefield-mini-ex....

Feel free to add your feedbacks & suggestions !

Very clever. There's a small bit of language missing from the description. "Place all the remaining pieces" ... place them where?

I assume place them on top of the battlefield tile, but can you please confirm that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkonigsberg wrote:
[q="Metadna"]BATTEFIELD MINI-EXTENSION (PnP + Rules)

Very clever. There's a small bit of language missing from the description. "Place all the remaining pieces" ... place them where?

I assume place them on top of the battlefield tile, but can you please confirm that?

Thanks ! correct
you place all remaining pieces on top of the Battefield tile.

In any case I will publish a v2.0 more polished version once enough feedbacks has been received.

Other clarification to be added

"BEFORE A BATTLE CONDITION"
must be replaced by:
"CONDITION: WHEN PLAYERS ENGAGE IN COMBAT"

Now I invite you to combo-complete this first module with the 2nd module there https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31788364#31788364

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dixon
United Kingdom
Middlesbrough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of this, have you thought about 'producing' on the battlefield afterwards. This could be workers 'regenerating' the hex and so it could be 'removed'. I haven't played yet with this mini-extension though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxo88 wrote:
I like the look of this, have you thought about 'producing' on the battlefield afterwards. This could be workers 'regenerating' the hex and so it could be 'removed'. I haven't played yet with this mini-extension though!

yes I thought about that but does it really enhance the gameplay? what are all the consequences ? etc... before diverting the production action from its main function (i always try to avoid official rules changes as much as possible, only if the gameplay profit for such change weight enough i'm fine with it) i need to dig further the tile core mechanic, as first introduction of a new gameplay element I wanted to expose the basic mechanics first and i invite you to playtest it too i'm still playtesting the tile alone to frame all his limitations & usages, according to the playtests & your feedbacks some evolutions/variantes will be proposed for version 2.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nelson
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this, read it, and wanted say I think this is great for all the same reasons posted above. Doesn't break the game, but it does add an interesting bit of flavor. Nice job!

LAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.