18Chesapeake» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Palmer Eldritch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of backing this on KS, but I only play games at the 2 player count. I played a lot of 1846 2 player variant and liked it a lot. Then I got 18CZ and I think that's almost the perfect 18XX game for someone like me.

So the thing I'm wondering about this game more than anything else is how well does it play at 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nygaard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I remember reading that 2 player gameplay was a core part of the design, not a variant stuck on at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hopelesst wrote:
I believe I remember reading that 2 player gameplay was a core part of the design, not a variant stuck on at the end.

Eh, as much as I would like to sell some more games and say that is the case, the 2p game is mostly geared toward simulating what it is like to play a multiplayer game.

That said, it works, has been well playtested, and has a totally different feel than those other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lychenus
msg tools
i would say frank nobody plays 18xx at 2p, somehow i would even dare to challenge if 1860 2p is a good idea or not. but you say you are having fun with 1846, prolly 18CH 2p is going to do miles better than 1846, at all player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I maybe worded that poorly. To be clearer, in the 2p game, you are playing one single position. The multiplayer aspect is that when the opponent buys shares from the pool, a share is removed from the game (forever). This simulates a company that is desirable and maybe another player got to it before you. The certificate limit is the same as 3p to accommodate this change. Also, this helps companies become "all sold" (price goes up) so it's not like you will want to cycle/trash shares like a typical zero-sum 2p game (snore).

The president's certificate is a triple cert as a tweak that will allow the players to sell down to their bare presidencies while still retaining enough ownership to keep a sizable stake in the company to have relevant decisions, not quite such a minimal stake that can be disregarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
@FRAHMINATOR
mbmbmbmbmb
lynnech wrote:
i would say frank nobody plays 18xx at 2p, somehow i would even dare to challenge if 1860 2p is a good idea or not. but you say you are having fun with 1846, prolly 18CH 2p is going to do miles better than 1846, at all player counts.

18xx at 2P could still be better than a lot of other games at 2P ;-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.