Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Petersen Games please do something about your customer service policy... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cathro
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The person you purchased the pledge from will get the replacements cards. You can ask them to forward those to you. They should also be able to request the missing pieces and possibly use your address as the Ship To address. It wouldn't hurt to ask them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need proof of purchase for customer service from any company. Otherwise people could freely rip them off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathslizer wrote:
Long story short, managed to snag a Yothan pledge off someone completely brand new and sealed. Found that it was missing a few items and also requested the replacement errata cards for the misprinted Masks of Nyarlathotep. Customer service denied because I acquired it through a private sale so Im pretty much stuck with a pledge that's incomplete and has misprinted erratas cards...

I'm sorry this unfortunate thing happened, but you have to ask the person who sold it to you to deal with us, because we sold it to them, not you. We cannot be obligated to cover 3rd party sales (and no company really does this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea this isn't PG's problem really...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Deathslizer wrote:
Long story short, managed to snag a Yothan pledge off someone completely brand new and sealed. Found that it was missing a few items and also requested the replacement errata cards for the misprinted Masks of Nyarlathotep. Customer service denied because I acquired it through a private sale so Im pretty much stuck with a pledge that's incomplete and has misprinted erratas cards...

I'm sorry this unfortunate thing happened, but you have to ask the person who sold it to you to deal with us, because we sold it to them, not you. We cannot be obligated to cover 3rd party sales (and no company really does this).

To be fair, lots of companies cover 3rd party sales assuming the 3rd party is a retailer. I don't think I ever went to a FLGS to ask for a parts replacement, I just contact the producers of the game.

Then again, you might be counting retailers as 2nd party, not sure if you treat the retail chain (distributor -> retailer) as 1 party or 2...
In either case, companies covering private sales does occasionally happen as a courtesy for small stuff like a missing meeple, not missing entire SKUs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Elder wrote:
You need proof of purchase for customer service from any company. Otherwise people could freely rip them off.

Not that i have a stake in any of this but that is factually WRONG. There are numerous game companies that will send you replacement parts for games without question.

existoid wrote:

Again WRONG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe some companies are nice enough to do that, at least until they lose too much money doing it, but it's really not reasonable to expect it to be part of their customer service. If I buy something from an individual and it turns out to be defective/missing parts, that's on the individual who sold it to me. If he got it from the manufacturer that way, he should have pursued replacements himself, and not represented it to me as being complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I buy a brand new something from someone and open it to find it incomplete or defective, I expect the manufacturer to make good on it.
They sold it that way.
The person I bought it from is not at fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
If I buy a brand new something from someone and open it to find it incomplete or defective, I expect the manufacturer to make good on it.
They sold it that way.
The person I bought it from is not at fault.

That's not how things work, legally. Many manufacturers will replace defective and missing parts from something you bought from a retailer, though some will tell you to take it back to the retailer for a refund.

But third-party sales? No. Replacing product in that case is a courtesy on the part of the manufacturer.

The person you bought it from is at fault for not verifying that it was complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really depends on what is missing or damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see PG's stance on this, and I think it is generally true. Some companies will replace things without question, but usually that is damaged parts, and even in a lot of those cases, you have to provide an image. It is much more rare that a company will send you a major component that you are missing without some proof of purchase.

That being said, I do think they should send the errata cards to the OP no questions asked. That is a known issue affecting every copy and likely being covered by the factory anyway since it was their fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was missing something from Onslaught 3 -- can't remember what. Mine was one of the early shipments for the US. I contacted PG, and, even though they were in the middle of fulfilling other orders, I received my missing item in days -- less than a week.

Consequently, I think PG does a great job, service wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bunny Whiskers
msg tools
n815e wrote:
They sold it that way.

And if the person you bought it from had opened it up, messed with the contents and then resealed it... should the manufacturer still bear responsibility for the actions of the 3rd party reseller?

There's absolutely no way for anyone to guarantee that the reseller had done so. In any case the person who should make good on this is the reseller, and it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for them to drop a line to PG with photographic evidence of the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBunnyWhiskers wrote:
n815e wrote:
They sold it that way.

And if the person you bought it from had opened it up, messed with the contents and then resealed it... should the manufacturer still bear responsibility for the actions of the 3rd party reseller?

There's absolutely no way for anyone to guarantee that the reseller had done so. In any case the person who should make good on this is the reseller, and it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for them to drop a line to PG with photographic evidence of the problem.

Sure and it’s also possible that the mail carrier did that before it got to you if you ordered directly from Petersen Games. Or perhaps spies did it to replace all of your plastic pieces with carefully manufactured copies that retain secret information and they are going to start a madcap chase with some zany mixups, box switching and a cute dog.

If you are going to start imagining extreme and unprovable scenarios to generate excuses for poor customer service, then this is sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
If you are going to start imagining extreme and unprovable scenarios to generate excuses for poor customer service, then this is sad.

The point is that it's not poor customer service to refuse to be held responsible for items bought from resellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the point you are trying to make and I disagree with it.

It becomes all the more apparent problem that it is a bad policy when it requires coming up with improbable scenarios to support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
n815e wrote:

It becomes all the more apparent problem that it is a bad policy when it requires coming up with improbable scenarios to support it.
You should contact the person who sold the pledge to you. That one is the person sold you a set of items different from the list you had been given and it would be their responsibility to correct this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector_Xavier wrote:
n815e wrote:

You should contact the person who sold the pledge to you. That one is the person sold you a set of items different from the list you had been given and it would be their responsibility to correct this.

So this was covered earlier in the thread.
If someone buys a brand new, shrink wrapped copy of a game from another person and the game came with manufacturer defects, how is it the responsibility of anyone other than the manufacturer to make good on the problem?

As the manufacturer, why would I ever refuse to honor replacements for the defective parts?

I am lucky enough to not have had many problems with needing game part replacements, but when I have the companies involved never even asked me the source of my game. They sent me the parts. This is good customer service, this is the kind of behavior that engenders loyalty.

What is the cost to Petersen to replace the parts whether they send it to the original buyer or the current owner? The same amount.
What is the cost to Petersen to have customers see a bad policy in action? Lost pledges.

And every super fan that thinks they are coming to the defense of Petersen are making things worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to get in the way of a good internet argument, but people are assuming different premises:

One side assumes that "missing items" in the OP means missing entire SKUs, e.g. Ancients was supposed to be included, but is nowhere to be found in the shipment.
The other side assumes that "missing items" means missing parts of SKUs, e.g. the Ancients expansion is missing the power tracker or an acolyte.

In the latter case PG should obviously just send the part. I don't think anybody really disagrees with that (though I'm not sure what their legal obligation is, it's simply good customer relations)

In the former case it really isn't PG's responsibility to simply send out a new box of Ancients to somebody that they have no business with.
Obviously they could do so to build goodwill, but that would be going way above and beyond and it is quite understandable that they won't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know in the US, but certainly in the UK, the manufacturer basically has no responsibility to the end consumer. The *shop* on the other hand needs to put right defects or provide a refund. This comes from the days when on the whole you bought things from a nearby shop, so that was the best solution to fixing the problem. (The shop may well have come back on the manufacturer, but legally that's not the consumers problem.)

Where an item is new, this applies also to private sales. As soon as its second hand/used, then its all on the buyer to make sure everything is fine before parting with cash.

Having said that, many manufacturers do offer far better service than they're legally required to, including many games companies - Rio Grande spring to mind as one I've had good experiences with.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
Thomas Elder wrote:

Not that i have a stake in any of this but that is factually WRONG. There are numerous game companies that will send you replacement parts for games without question.

existoid wrote:

Again WRONG.

Which companies give free replacements without proof of purchase? Name them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Carroll
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Cthulhu Wars Homebrewers Unite!
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who buys and sells things for a living; if I sell my customer a single SKU that is itself a kit, similar to a faction box from CW, and there is something missing from it, it is my responsibility as the merchant to make the customer whole, and then I, as the seller, go to my supplier (PG) and have them make me whole.

This is assuming something was missing and/or broken from the box. If there's a whole freakin' SKU missing, that's wholly on the seller.

It's also worth pointing out that shrinkwrap isn't a terribly difficult thing to get a hold of. Most GameStops have a shrinkwrap machine in their stock room, and they're not exactly large places. Any warehouse worth it's salt is going to have a shrinkwrap machine on hand in case wrap is damaged in transit.

As for the cards, yeah, you need to get them from the person who sold it to you. I went through the exact same thing with Vanguard of War and the item cards that didn't ship with the initial KS run. I ended up having to get them off eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:

You can disagree all you like. Law and custom say you're wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bunny Whiskers
msg tools
n815e wrote:
Sure and it’s also possible that the mail carrier did that before it got to you if you ordered directly from Petersen Games. Or perhaps spies did it to replace all of your plastic pieces with carefully manufactured copies that retain secret information and they are going to start a madcap chase with some zany mixups, box switching and a cute dog.

I'm completely flabbergasted, I've suggested a plausible scenario where a person bought a product, opened but later resealed it and sold it on, claiming it as new. Whether there are parts missing because they dropped, or were intentionally removed.

Shrink wraps, and wrap machines with a heater are widely available in any stationary or DIY store, as a service no less. You don't even need to buy the machine or the wraps.

You're so adamant that the PG is in the wrong here and should bear all the responsibility for any faults (regardless of whether it was rightly their's or not), that you're not only thinking illogically, you're digging in doubly to support your point.

As it has been highlighted, you're entitled to your opinion. However; you will find that business practice and the legal system doesn't agree with you.

All we're saying is for this situation is:
1. Yes; someone is responsible for this, and should put it right, and that is the reseller.
2. PG, is responsible to someone if the issue was there, that person is reseller.
3. This is no more complicated than taking a photo, forwarding it on to the person, asking if he could get in touch with George to settle this. Which I'm sure OP has or should have done in the first place.

I'm quite sure no one else lives in your world where spies are around every corner, or where there are "madcap chase with some zany mixups". No one is suggesting such an absurd scenario to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mekon
Australia
Dysney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... out of idle curiosity, I looked up the original (now deleted) post's user history, and came up with a prior thread (also with a deleted OP):

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31590204#31590204

Is this thread a repeat of the original con whereby money was paid to Boarders, but the order was never placed?

Or is this a purchase of another Yothan pledge to a private seller, where items were missing?

Either way... Deathslizer never paid a cent to PG! I get that it's frustrating when you get screwed over, but I really fail to see why these negative posts should keep appearing, attacking PG's good name. For shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.