Luis Ramirez
Peru
Lima
Lima
flag msg tools
The Relic World reference for Automated Transport Network says that when the card is played "take two colonies from the top of the colony deck", and in another sentence it says that grants "2 additional colony support, which can be traded to other players". I understand that you only trade the colony support, and the won colonies are apart.

However, an unofficial rule reference I found had understood that if you trade this card, you also have to give the two colonies you won when the card was played. I want to confirm that this approach is wrong (and that, as I understood, when you trade the card you keep the colonies).

In such scenario, if somebody gives this card away and as a result of this, you have more colonies than your colony support, you still keep the colonies until the Economy Phase, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McSteve
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lartkma wrote:
The Relic World reference for Automated Transport Network says that when the card is played "take two colonies from the top of the colony deck", and in another sentence it says that grants "2 additional colony support, which can be traded to other players". I understand that you only trade the colony support, and the won colonies are apart.

However, an unofficial rule reference I found had understood that if you trade this card, you also have to give the two colonies you won when the card was played. I want to confirm that this approach is wrong (and that, as I understood, when you trade the card you keep the colonies).

In such scenario, if somebody gives this card away and as a result of this, you have more colonies than your colony support, you still keep the colonies until the Economy Phase, right?

That unofficial reference seems wrong. The ATN card grants its holder the ability to hold two more colonies than they're supposed to, based on their race's default colony support.

The two colonies you draw from the top of the deck are a one-time benefit granted at the time the card comes into play. You don't have to trade those away. They are yours.

Now, if you DO trade away ATN, when you get to the Check Colony Support phase (AFTER trading, BEFORE running economy), then you will have to discard down to your colony support number, as would any player. Whoever held ATN would add +2 to the number of colonies they could hold at that point (and thus would get their economic benefit).

So, yes, you only discard colonies at that stage. Even if you're the Im'Dril, you could trade for and acquire 10 colonies if you wanted (for some inane reason). But you'd never get their output, as they'd have to be discarded (since you have a colony support of zero) before you ran your economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TauCeti Deichmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Yup, you are both right. Also, I can't improve on Joe's answer, which covers all of the corner cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Ramirez
Peru
Lima
Lima
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.