Subject: About replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the verge of buying this game (both the rules and the app seem very nice) but I still ponder about the replayability...

It seems that the first scenario is always pretty much the same. But does the campaign really branch out from there? Are there decisions to be made that affect the rest of the campaign?

In other words: Let's say that I have already played the campaign once. Then I'd like to start again but with different heroes... should I expect to still be surprised about what's to come?
If I make same kind of decisions as what I did during my first playthrough (I probably wouldn't, but for the sake of argument, let's say I do), is the campaign going to play out the same way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main changes will be the map layout and many different tokens with different interactions than were in the same adventure previously. The same adventure replayed again will feel very different in setting and interactions.

But, the main story line goals will stay the same and win or lose will lead you to the same next adventure. The campaign seems very linear. I haven’t played through the entire campaign enough to know for sure if there are major story branches, but so far I haven’t found any.

Your heroes will develop differently though depending on your different choices and interactions and winning or losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I have come to accept about replay ability... first determine what type of gamer u are... if u are looking to own a few games... this would be very important.. if u are insane like many of us on this forum.. then u have come to terms that have a compulsion to buy as amanu games as spark your interest and $ will allow... if u play a game more than 5X after u own it.. u are one of the lucky few... and replayability is no longer a factor:)

That said... I think this game offers great replay ability as well as knowing FF will heavily support it with new expansion...

Hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The objectives and threat events in the first scenario always seem to play out the same, but I’ve seen big differences in board layout, exploration and threat tokens. Most of the trinkets and titles come from these sources that change each time, so I think there is plenty of difference.

We also know the campaign continues whether you win or lose a given scenario, so there are possible differences in future adventures depending on what happened in previous scenarios.

I think there is enough variation in an adventure to make it fun to replay, especially if you try out different heroes and roles. And you can also stry to tackle it on a higher difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
www.GameBrainPod.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also replayability in the challenge of beating the scenario in Hard mode too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
There are story branches often made clear right after the chapter is complete, with consequences spelled out in the description of Winning/Losing this chapter and hints about what it may mean for later in campaign.

I’m five chapters in and I already know I will be replaying this more than once, not just for the story branches, not just for the different characters, not just with different gaming groups, but also for the interesting choices that don’t burn my brain to cinders every single turn with nested procedure loops and abstruse rule codewords.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Arkham Horror too... but I am glad this ain’t that!

JIME is definitely a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kanakousakis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmb
FFG will release so many expansions and add ons for this game that you will not have time to replay it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.