Subject: How many UK backers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Holden
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how many UK backers there are, given that if there is no Customs Union (and that is the default status for any plan proposed by the current government) this is going to arrive with an additional bill for at least $40 (VAT + handling charge - the latter based on the Post Office, who I believe are cheaper than most courier companies), and probably additional admin charges from the shipping company who will have to fill out all of their side of the customs docs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
358 according to the Community page,but who knows how many are at the $1 level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swales
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm currently at the $1 but will probably cancel due to the tax uncertainty. This would've been my first Lacerda game and love the theme (I'm a physics teacher) but not willing to take the risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmb
I'm taking the "all games will be more expensive post Brexit so just buy less games" approach to this. So I'm just accepting that as a possible cost and moving on. After all, I still expect to be a gamer then so what choice do I have?

The bigger risk is going to be shipping chaos. With so many more things needing to be taxed and an infrastructure not set up for it there's going to be period of extensive queues. But absolutely no way of knowing when that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just pre-order the French version (as the game itself seems language independent) from Philibert to avoid any threat of Import duty ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philibert is in France and so will be subject to import fees once/if we leave the EU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
Banker Of The Gods
badge
Designed Banker Of The Gods
mbmb
Don't worry.

If Australia is taken care of so will the UK. Unless the UK is a smaller market than Australia, which I don't believe it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swales
msg tools
mbmbmb
RandomGraham wrote:
I'm taking the "all games will be more expensive post Brexit so just buy less games" approach to this. So I'm just accepting that as a possible cost and moving on. After all, I still expect to be a gamer then so what choice do I have?

The bigger risk is going to be shipping chaos. With so many more things needing to be taxed and an infrastructure not set up for it there's going to be period of extensive queues. But absolutely no way of knowing when that is.

You may be right. However many other games are doing fulfilment from within UK and therefore not passing extra tax and handling onto us. For example the current terraforming mars kickstarter has guaranteed no extra tax cost to U.K. (The shipping fee includes taxes). This could of course change in the future if games companies are footing large fees. I don't know enough about the details but in theory if after Brexit there was a favourable deal with the U.S some games could be cheaper! I suspect we may end up in a customs union with EU though and we'll have been worrying about nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fenton
msg tools
I'm backing this game from the UK. I'd note the following:

- There's a lot of confusion around about VAT. To be clear, you will pay VAT on this whether or not the UK leaves the European Union. VAT is a tax on consumption and applies to sales of board games to end users in the European Union. The VAT is normally collected by the seller and in the case of this kickstarter, it has already been factored in to the price (or postage amount) charged to European backers. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal then the UK would presumably introduce its own tax on consumption to replace VAT. However, if there was no arrangement between the UK and the EU then the seller (EGG) could reclaim any VAT incurred (because sales to consumers outside the EU are exempt from VAT). I'm assuming the games are being shipped from within Europe. That being the case, the amount of consumption tax should be broadly the same even if the UK left the EU without a deal. The potential issue with VAT/consumption tax is an administrative one; at what point in the supply chain would the VAT be collected and handed over to the UK government? If it's collected from EGG then the UK consumer should be unaffected. The problem arises if it is collected from the recipient at the time of delivery, in which case EGG has basically pocketed the VAT they no longer have to collect, and the consumer has picked up the bill instead.

- A separate issue is customs duties. Upon leaving the EU without a deal, it would be up to the UK to decide what level of customs duty to be applied to board games. The recipient is likely to wind up with the bill for the customs duty, as well as a potential admin fee from the delivery company. There's some information to suggest that in the early stages of No Deal the UK might refrain from levying any customs duty on board games. Were that the case, the UK consumer might get away without any additional charge. Of course, in the long term, the UK is likely to impose wide ranging customs charges on imports from the EU if a trade agreement cannot be reached.

- The bookmakers are currently offering 11/2 odds on the UK leaving the EU without a deal in 2019. That implies a probability of 15%, which is fairly low. I am personally satisfied that those odds are about right, and I'm willing to take the risk of paying additional taxes when the board game arrives. However, anyone uncomfortable with the risk of additional taxes could, if they so chose, place a bet of ~£5 on the UK leaving the EU without a deal before the end of the year. That should largely hedge the risk of additional taxes, as the payout in the event of no deal would be £32.50, which would broadly offset any unwelcome additional fees. That is of course an individual decision, but I offer it as a potential solution to anyone worried about this issue.

The above explanations should not in any way be taken as an endorsement of the UK leaving the EU without a deal (or at all). In fact, should it happen, I think a a chunk of additional tax on a board game will be the least of our problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can’t see Brexit happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Will never happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sweeney
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geroid wrote:
Don't worry.

If Australia is taken care of so will the UK. Unless the UK is a smaller market than Australia, which I don't believe it is.

Ireland is piss ant devil And we do not have anything like VAT here. VAT stands for how to kill an economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uksweeney wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

I'd want out if some foreigners were telling us what to do. Never quite understood how they can control immigration from outside of the EU. Daft to say the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
Uksweeney wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

I'd want out if some foreigners were telling us what to do. Never quite understood how they can control immigration from outside of the EU. Daft to say the least.

We Europeans don’t consider ourselves foreigners and work together to create legislation. It’s not an ‘us’ and ‘them’ situation.

But not everyone sees it that way.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.