Hey there, just got the game and am delving into my first scenario.

One thing i was wondering is how i should go about the information given about a monsters action when you draw its card for the round during initiative determination.

For instance, the card could show the monster isnt intending to move, which could lead to me opting for a ranged attack to evade its actions, or similar adaptations in strategy.

I was wondering if this is the correct way of going about things, or whether i'll have more fun just glancing at the initiative number in an attempt to be more surprised by the monsters actions when their turn to act comes round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmb
You want to know what the monsters will do before executing your actions. Often after the cards are revealed you'll do something very different from what you've planned.
And that's fun.

Looking just on the initiative may be a bit too hard at first, but eventually you'll learn those cards as there's just couple of them per monster type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we play, first we pick our action cards and declare our initiative. Then we flip the monster action cards. So if we see the monster isn't able to move, YES, we will try to take advantage of that. But we can't go back and change our cards, so if we decide that we need a ranged attack but didn't pick action cards that have them, it's too late - we have to do the best with the cards that we selected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks to both of you!

(And sure, adapting you strategy after initiative is determined only goes so far, there's only four combinations of actions you can play after you've committed your two cards for the turn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Definitely look at and know make sure your party knows too, what the monsters are going to do. You may be able to prevent them from taking any actions/ position your party so the actions are unefective depending on how you play your cards and initiative. Generally, and in early scenarios, we find it's best to light the monsters up kill them before their turn, if we can't do that, at least we know what they will do on their turn so we can position to get out of harms way or mitigate damage. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are going to get wrecked if you can't plan against their actions.

However, I see this as a possible handicap to add when you go to 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmb
Toverkol wrote:
Thanks to both of you!

(And sure, adapting you strategy after initiative is determined only goes so far, there's only four combinations of actions you can play after you've committed your two cards for the turn)

Umm two combinations as you use one top and one bottom actions (unless you're counting the always available Attack 2 / Move 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
Toverkol wrote:
Thanks to both of you!

Umm two combinations as you use one top and one bottom actions (unless you're counting the always available Attack 2 / Move 2).

It took me a second to figure it out, but I can see how there would be 4 combos...

Card A
Card B

Attack with Card A and the Move with Card B
Move with Card B and then Attack with Card A
Attack with Card B and the Move with Card A
Move with Card A and then Attack with Card B

Those are combos before using the Basic Attack 2 Action or Basic Move 2 action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
fizolof wrote:
Toverkol wrote:
Thanks to both of you!

It took me a second to figure it out, but I can see how there would be 4 combos...

Card A
Card B

Attack with Card A and the Move with Card B
Move with Card B and then Attack with Card A
Attack with Card B and the Move with Card A
Move with Card A and then Attack with Card B

Those are combos before using the Basic Attack 2 Action or Basic Move 2 action.

Not every top action is an attack, and not every bottom action is a move. but you raise a good point (just substitute "top action" for "attack" and "bottom action" for "move"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so there are 16 different possible ways you can play the cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Berro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I enjoy this aspect of strategy of the game. I would dislike playing with a rule variant in which you were not allowed to see what the enemies will do until it is their turn in the round, because that would significantly reduce the amount of strategy involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Devlin
Canada
Clayton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We pick our two cards, using the top card for our initiative. Then we all reveal our cards and flip the monster cards at that time. So we don't know what the monsters are going to do before we select our cards and our initiative number.

If we knew ahead of time what the monsters were going to do, the game would become too easy. The challenge for us is having our characters adapt their 8 possible actions (2 special top actions, 2 standard top actions, 2 special bottom actions, 2 standard bottom actions) to counter what the monsters are going to do this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules:

You are supposed to pick which two cards you play, face down, selecting which is the 'leading' card for initiative purposes. Then all the players reveal the cards and you draw a card for the monsters.

What you actually do with the two cards you've selected, you can choose at the moment it comes to your turn, with full knowledge of what cards other players have chosen and what cards the monsters have (and thus, what the monsters will do.)

(This is what most people in this thread do, but for some reason most people have phrased it as just "this is what I happen to do" rather than "this is what the rules allow").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ftl_ftw wrote:
(This is what most people in this thread do, but for some reason most people have phrased it as just "this is what I happen to do" rather than "this is what the rules allow").
I happen to follow the official rules in that regard. That's not always the case for everyone in every instance (especially where Advantage is concerned, it seems), as some people implement house rules.
But in this instance, people seem to follow the rules. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.