Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Massive kudos to grzes19 for his pdf of two player missions recast as solo.

I have been playing solo missions, NKVD Defence at Mir, and several Firefight Generator scenarios. Trying to run each as German and Soviet. Getting to grips with the system.

By all accounts and by looking at posted videos, the AI is a tough opponent. I have found that to be the case when most units are deployed on the map.

What worries me is that in scenarios where a side is moving onto the map, I find the AI to significantly worse than the player. In general, as a player I will be GROUP MOVING many units to get them into action. Often with CAPs. The AI very rarely uses group movement and so his units tend to dribble up one by one and are much less effective.

I have found several battles to be tense affairs, winning some and losing some, but all the meeting engagements have been a blow out win for me, largely due to this problem.

I want to play as written so I am only GROUP moving when the AI orders are 'largest group of AI' (or similar). I move groups of units on to the board with such orders too.

Do others find this? If so, is there a way to overcome it? I mean systematically rather than rule 42 it on each occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All command action cards are supposed to be played as Group actions, even if that group is only one unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
All command action cards are supposed to be played as Group actions, even if that group is only one unit.

Wow! Ok I had not seen that in the rules. I thought that only the cards with ‘largest group of AI...’ or similar text were group actions with a minimum group of one. That will certainly make things different.

Is there a rules reference for that one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think it was in the rules originally. It was a good idea someone here had that has been endorsed by the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:
I don't think it was in the rules originally. It was a good idea someone here had that has been endorsed by the designer.

Nice. Got any references?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

Regrettably, no.   I'm going from (my increasingly failing) memory here.

I'll do a search and see if I can find the proper forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
Brett Schaller wrote:

Here is what I do with AI Command Orders:

Rally/Attack(Fire)/build hasty defences = Group Action if possible.

Now for Move Order I may do a Group Move even if the Order does not call for one if it seems like a good play for the AI.

In any case Rule 42 is not to be ignored, it is your friend(or is it rather the AI friend?)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may rule it that off board AI use ALL move orders as GROUP moves such that they move on to the board together. Certainly for AI in the same FG card. Rather than just do that where specified as a GROUP in the order (as per rules) or only when a command order move comes up (as per suggestions here).

I don’t think I’ll play it that all command orders should be group orders. Unless I can get a designer endorsement link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
I think I may rule it that off board AI use ALL move orders as GROUP moves such that they move on to the board together. Certainly for AI in the same FG card. Rather than just do that where specified as a GROUP in the order (as per rules) or only when a command order move comes up (as per suggestions here).

I don’t think I’ll play it that all command orders should be group orders. Unless I can get a designer endorsement link.

Blue Cards in new printing says "Group Attack", so that's legit at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcuslind1 wrote:
fentum wrote:

Blue Cards in new printing says "Group Attack", so that's legit at least.

Oh? Thanks. Are these on line anywhere? Any FAQ that covers updates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I found this comment...

uweeickert wrote:
I also want to add that most group move or fire orders are on Command Order Cards and do not require spent checks.

Gunter
Academy Games

Which suggests to me that not all Command orders are for groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn’t group all off-board AI moves unless there is a good reason because it a balance of risk: risk of being spent vs whatever. Certainly command cards would group move onto the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
I wouldn’t group all off-board AI moves unless there is a good reason because it a balance of risk: risk of being spent vs whatever. Certainly command cards would group move onto the board.

If I recall then there’s no spent check after entering the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
pisqueeter wrote:

If I recall then there’s no spent check after entering the board?

Only in Third Edition. I think it is a good idea to use it for the AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.