Hyperspace» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Starspawn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilberto Guillen
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmb
O the Starspawn, the conquerors of Earth, they kicked humans\terrans out, this guys are powerfull and have some defensive capabilities, Cthulhu, Cthulhu and Cthulhu is what I always look for, they have the offensive similar to the vengue, let;s check them out in a shell

Plunge: It gives a strong pump to their movement, jumping (ignoring the first tile) on to a second tile.

The Stars are Right!: you get a secret for building Cthulhu, this is the pit of all strategy

Slumber: you get of this and for any you still have you lose 1 point, it is not so bad as you can spend it to gain 1 of each resource.

Cthulhu: his powerful and omniscient presence makes his tile unreachable, unless they pay you a hyper then they can enter your planet where Cthulhu is located.

Regenerate: paying 1 atomic you can make your salvage an extra action instead

Devour: on pre battle the oponent most destroy a ship prior to the battle

We can see that Starspawn has 2 abilities centered on the Cthulhu, 1 for salvaging which is quite good.

Normally when I play Starspawn I look to build Cthulhu quickly to start getting extra secrets, this will work as well as defensive system as enemies more likely prefer not to pay a hyper to enter that tile, plus i Cthulhu is destroyed is even better cause i will build it again for another secret devil

Starspawn strategy for me is like Vengue, you want to send Cthulhu to the front where the battle heats up, you need to get metals, you barely start with 1 which hurt them a lot, so even do Starspawn is very strong in the attack and defense they need metals to make it happen, so explore and get metals as possible, citizens are a needed element to produce organics to make for for the lack of metals if that happens

Don't be afraid to attack, and make sure Cthulhu is always removed, you want to build it back devil and get an extra secret in the process, you can include 1 or 2 corvettes so you always makes sure Cthulhu will be attacked.

Good tech for Starspawn:

Terraforming: colonizing some juicy metals

Mass Production: If you can get your hands on good planets you can have this so build 2 corvettes with each Cthulhu

Designer Genes: a great way to produce your organics so placing several citizens or all are great.

Logistics: thanks to Cthulhu Secrets, this can be a great weapon as the secrets will make up for some of the hypers you will use, but don't over do it.

Robotics: as you need metals you will then require the atomics for moving and attacking so producing both is awesome specially to plungue whistle

Core Mining and Breeder Reactors: an option if you can't get robotics and your needs

Chameleon Screens: as you want your Cthulhu fighting all the time but building it means he stays back for a turn, this can make sure your Cthulhu is always in the battlefront

Recycling: this way your corvettes and Cthulhu can give you some metals, plus all you destroy

research as needed and move to the attack plungue is a great weapon with Cthulhu on the front for attacking further planets in between, in overall you will be hated , it may sound worthless but losing an entire round just using all 3 Slumbers is not a bad choice sometimes, be sure to use them properly and right timing to make sure you have none at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilberto Guillen
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmb
As Enemies

They are dangerous, can move 2 spaces, devour makes you kill a ship prior to the fight and if you kill or remove Cthulhu he then can build it back for a secret.

hard choices in deep, one thing they lack are metals, so if they find good planets with metal production is a drag, if not citizens will give them good organic production to replace the lack of metals.

the 3 Slumber tokens makes them lose an action, some players use them 3 times in a row to lose and entire turn, which is the perfect time to attack of something to them, sometimes they do this in their first turn which then is not a big of deal really

Entering Cthulhu space cost you a hyper, plus if you remove it he can build it back for secrets, o my, I normally try to ignore Cthulhu and enter his zone ONLY if necessary and if my damage I know for certain is enough to hurt the rest except him, I focus on his planets where Cthulhu IS NOT THERE, primary the ones giving him metal and Citizens, without this they won't have enough to re spawn Cthulhu o plunge for an attack.

For any fight you do with them make sure you have an expandable ship (corvette)to sacrifice for the Devour tech.

a good strategy is to go small ship amount for hard hits, corvettes and Cruisers can be a great asset together if you get Proton Batteries

Precognitive Software: can ruin their day, if you see they do a slumber action, after that one use precog, they will slow them down heavy

Psychic Scream: I am not a big an of it, but against Starspawn is quite useful if the go Fleet attacking. after they attack you, you can scatter they ships around all adjacent systems, if he builds Cthulhu, no matter, has to pay to many Atomics to reorganize.

Recycling: he will attack yo,m so having a way to get something in return from battle is always a good friend

Radium Bombs: If you ignore Cthulhu systems and attack other system, then to always destroy a colony with left over damage is a must

I normally prefer to ignore Cthulhu systems, will hurt me in the run but I make sure to destroy important colonies and reduce his production and slow him down, this will help in not seeing that much Cthulhu on the board, adding this to the Slumber tokens he can get behind a little.

They are strong with very good mobility and their salvage will be pretty much extra when used, so exploit they openings and hit them hard

Ever had the Starspawn as enemies??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.