Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: I painted my Castle Ravenloft Minis! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Good day, all!
I just learned of the D&D Adventure System a few months ago. I lurked the boards, researched the crap out of it (and to my wallet's dismay, a few other games too ), discovered NinjaDorg, GeckoTH and ChromaticDragons awesome decks and took the plunge. IMHO, with the custom content it is D&D Lite, perfect to "scratch that itch" as well as being accessable for the (slightly) less nerdy wife and kids.
At any rate, it took me about a month, but I painted all the minis, and am super happy with the results. The splashes of colour are a small but POWERFUL improvement to the game, I will be painting every mini in every board game I get moving forward cool.
I was inspired to/taught by these forums, and thought I would profess my appreciation and post my results.
This was my first ever effort at mini painting, did not think I was an artist, but I now have a new hobby ... Good thing there are at least 4 more games worth of minis as well as the ones for the custom heroes/monsters for me to collect and paint!

All figures primed with multi surface primer (some Rona crap, not sure)
Painted with dollar store acryllics
Dipped with Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut (only used 1/8th of can!)

I was a little apprehensive/doubtful of my skills, but my wife and I were in the process of making a Steeplechase game for her parents (recreating an old one they used to have). We thought we'd make the figures from dollar store animals and practice the technique on them...
Primed/Painted

I was so pleased with the results I went for it!
I tried to do a similar-but-different on most of the 3 packs, the exceptions being the Kobolds (soldiers), Wraiths (generic ghosties), Gargoyles (aside from the "moss" drybrushing, they WOULD be the same if actually on a building, right?) and Blazing Skeletons (wanted to keep the opacity of figure as much as possible and was also one of the first I did. I was not ready to experiment yet modest), they all ended up 99% similar (on purpose lol)

DISCLAIMER: most of the colour schemes are based on ones found on google image search, still working on the colour pallet skills.

Ravenloft figures primed

Heroes Front and Back

Rat Swarm

Zombies

Kobold Skirmishers

Skeletons

Spiders

Wolves

Ghouls

Gargoyles

Wraiths

Blazing Skeletons

Werefolf, Strahd, Howling Hag and Klak

Flesh Golem (My favourite paint job, the staples turned out awesome! I used a home made brush, 3 bristles on a toothpick)

Zombie Dragon

Gravestorm

Phew, that was a lot!
100% would recommend, thank you to BGG! I'm looking forward to getting Wrath of Ashardalon, and will post those in a few(!) months when done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spendoza wrote:
I painted all the minis
You did a nice job! I love the spider colour schemes and the wolves are phenomenal! I also like the different hair colours for the zombies.

If you want to get rid of the shine, use some Testor's Dullcote to put a matte coating on the figs:
https://canada.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Michae...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EverywhereGames wrote:
You did a nice job! I love the spider colour schemes and the wolves are phenomenal! I also like the different hair colours for the zombies.

If you want to get rid of the shine, use some Testor's Dullcote to put a matte coating on the figs:

Thank you for your kind words. I like the finish as is, though... It's less shiny in person

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.