The Hunters A.D. 2114» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Hunters A.D. 2114 - first impressions from the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2111, the darkest predictions of scientists became a terrible reality in Earth hit a meteorite of an unprecedented size in the history of our planet. Survived by few who face a new threat to the survival of the species. Thinking machines, mass-built before the Strike, released from embarrassing management systems, as the only ones on the surface survived the effects of the cataclysm. Now, using their inhuman intelligence, they constitute a deadly threat to their former masters. Only Hunters - outstanding individuals are able to face them.

The Hunters A.D. 2114 board game is a cooperative adventure game in which 1 to 4 players try to survive in the dangerous world of the future.

Story

Hunters like Gloomhaven focus exclusively on the campaign, the game does not offer an option to play independent scenarios. Our team travels between locations along the way creating their own story. An important element of the game is the story located on the cards of events. The choices that these cards put before us, not only allow us to get to know the next fragments of the story, but also often lead to one of almost 50 missions. The scenarios are different from battles with bandits, to attacks on machine convoys on the defense of human settlements. The whole campaign can last only a certain number of rounds, and the lack of completion of the main storyline before the end of time ends the game with a failure.

Missions

The mission consists of rounds during which each of the heroes and enemies performs 2 actions. In addition to 3 basic actions such as movement, melee attack or interaction, you can also use 1 of 5 action cards with a unique waist. Such a solution increases the uniqueness of individual characters, because the possibilities from the cards are closely related to the character's class. Attacks regardless of the type are resolved by throwing dice with modifiers that are affected by action cards and equipment statistics.

An interesting element of the mission is the fact that some of them are affected by the time of day and weather conditions. During night missions it is more difficult to find a situation that can be additionally complicated by heavy rain or fog.

Development and level up

In the intervals between missions, we're expanding the base, developing characters and gaining better equipment. The base consists of 5 rooms: a smithy, a workshop, a furnace workshop, a gunsmith's workshop and a laboratory, each of which produces a different type of equipment if we have the appropriate diagrams. After each mission, the heroes gain experience points that they can spend on promotion. The development of heroes is based on the purchase of new action cards for your deck or skill cards that affect your hunters' attributes permanently.

First impressions

The Hunters is primarily a game for campaign fans and aspects such as expanding the base and crafting. For some people, the disadvantage of the game may be, above all, quite time-consuming preparation of the game and missions (a lot of different tiles). Although the author has predicted the option to save the state of the game on a special card, however, the need to note the status of spread Location Cards along with Event Cards can be burdensome especially in the later stages of the game. As in most co-ops, there is a high susceptibility to the leader's syndrome compounded by the lack of confidential information and time pressure on the decision.

There are too many different icons on the board as well as on the character cards, which are associated with various modifiers, but after a few games you can get used to it. As for the fight itself, I personally do not like the mechanism in which it is quite easy to block the attack (a 50% chance of dodge is a lot), because it leads to "empty rounds".

Equipment was unveiled in an interesting way. All items are on the tiles, and special notches in the cardboard boxes allow you to attach a variety of accessories such as sights, additional magazines or special types of ammunition.

Fans of post-apocalyptic world genres eill appreciate Hunters, particularly if they are interested in guiding the historical evolution of their faction. The tales from the cards themselves are interesting and draw into the campaign while the game gives a lot of team development opportunities (new cards to the deck) and a variety of equipment to get. I hope that by the time of the premiere, the author will increase the level of difficulty (he is already working on it) and will reduce the micromanagement related to the fight (number of icons and micro rules) because at the moment the missions are often in the background of the campaign and are not always a satisfying challenge.

Originally published (Polish) https://boardtime.pl/2019/04/the-hunters-a-d-2114-trailer-i-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draxon Bailo
Australia
Uranquinty
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did ya get to play the gae? Is there a reviewer proto type out?
From my understanding it is hardly finished yet, even the polish ks thing is still going.

Just wodering is all.

I for one am really looking forward to this game quite a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxonfly wrote:
How did ya get to play the gae? Is there a reviewer proto type out?
From my understanding it is hardly finished yet, even the polish ks thing is still going.

Just wodering is all.

I for one am really looking forward to this game quite a lot.

I'm a reviewer who really like games with post-apocalyptic theme and I got a polish prototype make for Zagram to (polish crowfunding platform) from autor to take a look at it.

From I soon will be also late pledge open for the Hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But KS was already done, I can't really see them doing another ks while 1st had not been delivered at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As we announced in the last few updates on KS (and FB), we use Zagramwto and Kickstarter for the crowdfunding campaing for the Polish version. On Zagramwto it takes 3 weeks, and during the last week we'll open the possibility to use also KS. So during these last 7 days you can order Polish or English version (as the late pledge option). All the new SG will be added to all the copies of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.