Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter calls it my unicorn machine. I warned everyone that when I built this it was going to be all me. I've wanted to build myself a badass machine for a long time & it took me 2 years to save up for the components I wanted. My brother jokes with his friends that I'm such a gearhead. I can't wait for Pierre to get home & see what I did to it.

Showing the lights with a better matching color scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
mbmbmb

And here's my "BeDustled" computer...

Side's been off it forever, though I did vacuum it out a couple years ago.
And if it looks bent, it is: the cat knocked it onto the floor awhile ago, so now it's screwed to the desk!

To be fair, this is actually my old WinXP box, that I keep around just cuz there's a couple old programs on it that I use, and I'm too lazy to install on the new Win7 box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that you call it your "new Win7 box". Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
glsonn wrote:

W7 works, and it works well. It's all we use at my client site. My contracting company game me a brand new W10 machine this week, and I haven't even fired it up once. No point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
glsonn wrote:

W7 works, and it works well. It's all we use at my client site. My contracting company game me a brand new W10 machine this week, and I haven't even fired it up once. No point.

I used to love both XP and 7. (I'm Mac now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
mbmbmb
glsonn wrote:

Actually a typo... should be "newer Win7 box"... it's a few years old now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has gone through lots of changes in the 12 or so years since I first built it.

the only thing now original is around 85% of the case itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Keep in mind Win7 support ends Jan 2020. I wouldn't worry too much as an individual but if you do ANYTHING business related on it you are opening yourself up to ransomware attacks. Right now I am doing a good side business on rescuing small businesses on ransomware and helping them prevent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have the 1st computer I built. It's a blue beast running xp that I keep in my jewelry workshop. I play music on it & some of my older games like Starcraft. After I upgraded to win 7 I gave the blue box to my Mom. When she wanted me to build her a new machine I got the blue back. Too bad the eyes don't light up anymore but the side flame stills blazes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
mbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
Keep in mind Win7 support ends Jan 2020. I wouldn't worry too much as an individual but if you do ANYTHING business related on it you are opening yourself up to ransomware attacks. Right now I am doing a good side business on rescuing small businesses on ransomware and helping them prevent it.

I keep thinking it, but really, it's time for Linux. I am so sick of this kind of random upgrade shit just to keep us spending money. Especially since there's really no added functionality (often just the opposite!)

Sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
I am bedazzled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

I keep thinking it, but really, it's time for Linux. I am so sick of this kind of random upgrade shit just to keep us spending money. Especially since there's really no added functionality (often just the opposite!)

If you think switching to Linux will stop the random upgrades, think again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
mbmbmb
radynski wrote:
kswingruber wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

Oh, I know there will be random (and stupid) "upgrades" to Linux as well, but at least I won't feel like I'm getting screwed over by having to pay for them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Linux is too much work for my home computer. All my games just work in Windows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
radynski wrote:
kswingruber wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

Oh, I know there will be random (and stupid) "upgrades" to Linux as well, but at least I won't feel like I'm getting screwed over by having to pay for them...

To be clear, updates are free on Windows. MS just is not going to release them anymore. So your complaint is that MS doesnt want to provide support to an 11 year old product?

Feel free to keepvusing win7 for personal use. Your odds of being ransomed are small just take some basic precautions and spend a little money on backing your stuff up.

Now if you are complaining about this and youvare a business owner than I have no sympathy. It coats money to make money and tovuse all the new cool technology out there comes with a price. And anyone who has ever dealt with RedHat knows, Linux aint cheap either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.