144 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Papillon» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Kickstarter Suspended?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob
msg tools
Papillon's Kickstarter was suspended and the pledges cancelled. Anyone have any additional info?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only been 13min, and late on a Friday.

I am sure Kolossal will make a statement. Give them time.

KS reasons are:

Outstanding fulfillment issues related to a previously successful crowdfunding campaign
Running multiple, simultaneous projects.
Failure or unwillingness to clearly communicate with backers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The middle one, I am sure. Ravager was suspended a couple of days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Kickstarter - this doesn't sound
This is a message from Kickstarter’s Trust and Safety Team. We’re writing to let you know that a project you recently backed, Papillon (Suspended), has been suspended. We also want to assure you that your $47.00 pledge has been canceled. To protect our community, we may suspend projects when they demonstrate one or more of the following:

Outstanding fulfillment issues related to a previously successful crowdfunding campaign
Running multiple, simultaneous projects.
Failure or unwillingness to clearly communicate with backers

As a result, all backers will be refunded. No further action is required on your part.

We take the integrity of the Kickstarter system very seriously. We only suspend projects when we find strong evidence that they are misrepresenting themselves or otherwise violating the letter or spirit of Kickstarter's rules. As a policy, we do not offer comment on project suspensions beyond what is stated in this message.

We know this isn’t ideal. But we do sincerely hope to see you again soon, backing one or more of the amazing projects that do cross the finish line, without a hitch, each and every day.

Here’s to next time,
Kickstarter Trust and Safety

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there might be an underlying issue with Western Legends (a previous KS of theirs).

You can peruse through the comments section and see complaints about fulfillment and lack of communication. With over 7K backers, there's a bit of chatter on that page and in other forums.

I hope I'm wrong. I really wanted Papillon. But I don't see any stronger evidence for KS to suspend it than the WL fiasco.

:sad shrug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giustina Casale Morton
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's because backers are still waiting for Eclipse and Terrors of London to be delivered.
We'll see when Kolossal puts out a statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were apparently running multiple campaigns at once under different accounts (Folding Space and Hunt The Ravager). I understood the two concurrent ones getting suspended, but going after one that was already funded makes me wonder if there is more at work here.

Problems with previous unfulfilled campaigns are the next most likely culprit.

Though I also wonder if they'll apply this same policy to companies like CMON or continue to give them a pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bane
United States
Berwyn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sane_wonko wrote:
They were apparently running multiple campaigns at once under different accounts (Folding Space and Hunt The Ravager). I understood the two concurrent ones getting suspended, but going after one that was already funded makes me wonder if there is more at work here.

Problems with previous unfulfilled campaigns are the next most likely culprit.

Though I also wonder if they'll apply this same policy to companies like CMON or continue to give them a pass.

I imagine they’re looking for behavior patterns that indicate danger to hackers. CMON has never had any fulfillment issues I’m aware of. All the ones I’ve backed of theirs have been early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AgentZero wrote:

I imagine they’re looking for behavior patterns that indicate danger to hackers. CMON has never had any fulfillment issues I’m aware of. All the ones I’ve backed of theirs have been early.

Well, Kickstarter's own rules technically say they can't run a new campaign without fulfilling the last one. I know a number of companies still do it and get by, CMON more than many others since theirs tend to me larger/longer productions. They may not run multiple campaigns at once but they do have several awaiting fulfillment at any given time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Karpowitz
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had two other KS with Kolossal (Mezo and All Manor of Evil) that I thought were progressing just fine. I hope this doesn’t impact their ability to run the company, but I fear it will.

In the meantime, it’s a bummer because my wife was super excited about Papillion. I wonder what that means for the future of the project. I can’t imagine if they have to run the whole Kickstarter again that it will go as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Ross
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folding Space is a Maple Games project... not a Kolossal one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Life101 wrote:
Folding Space is a Maple Games project... not a Kolossal one?

They had listed Kolossal as a collaborator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter almost never intervenes due to customer unhappiness, no matter how well grounded. Spend time reading ...

Controversial or Fraudulent Kickstarters.

The only time they are likely to intervene is if there is potential negative legal exposure to them. IP issues or something like allowing a creator to run too many concurrent campaigns, where they could be accused of not doing due diligence according to their own rules. Whatever the email says, remember, KS is only in it to protect themselves. I am not saying that is a problem but be aware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelica
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They have the same investors. They are like sister companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolossal Games
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Hello everyone.

This Wednesday, over 1500 passionate backers helped us at Kolossal Games successfully fund a Kickstarter campaign for Papillon. Designed by J.B. Howell and illustrated by Whitney Rader, Papillon is an excellent game for families and the more hardcore gamers alike.

Unfortunately, we've been notified by Kickstarter that the campaign was suspended and our backers pledges have been refunded. Our team is currently working to understand these issues and we hope to resolve the situation very soon.

We at Kolossal Games are passionate about the games we’re bringing to life through crowdfunding with your support. We want to assure all of our supporters, fans, and backers that we remain excited about Papillon and will do everything we can to bring it back to Kickstarter in the near future. We'll announce a new campaign date as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience, and your continued support!

Travis Chance
President, Kolossal Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Culbertson
United States
Monroe
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Kickstarter has been on a roll these past 24hrs by suspending 3 games I backed from what I feel are 3 reputable campaigns/publishers (Papillon, Hunt the Ravager and Folding Space). I appreciate KS trying to look out for "shady" campaigns but in all 3 cases I trust the publishers' ability to manage multiple simultaneous KS campaigns and still deliver. This could really disrupt how publishers use KS going forward as they will need to wait much longer between product launches. I think they should allow a publisher to have multiple concurrent campaigns once a publisher has a proven track record. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Culbertson
United States
Monroe
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
Kickstarter almost never intervenes due to customer unhappiness, no matter how well grounded. Spend time reading ...

The only time they are likely to intervene is if there is potential negative legal exposure to them. IP issues or something like allowing a creator to run too many concurrent campaigns, where they could be accused of not doing due diligence according to their own rules. Whatever the email says, remember, KS is only in it to protect themselves. I am not saying that is a problem but be aware.

I agree that KS is just following the rules that they created which is the fair thing to do and protects them legally....but I would suggest they revisit their rules and see if a change is needed. Perhaps any publisher that has delivered "X" number of campaigns successfully then they are allowed to have up to 2 simultaneous campaigns which could subsequently be increased "if" they are able to successfully manage. If they can't maintain good communication, deliver on-time projects then they would lose the ability of having multiple simultaneous campaigns.....or something along those lines. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Ratz

Tuscaloosa
Alabama
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I saw a list of fulfilled KG games vs funded but unfulfilled, and it wasn't pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JPRatz wrote:
I saw a list of fulfilled KG games vs funded but unfulfilled, and it wasn't pretty.

Do you know where you saw this list, would be interested to see it ? This was my first game by the company, really disappointed how it's turned out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locherbread wrote:
JPRatz wrote:

Do you know where you saw this list, would be interested to see it ? This was my first game by the company, really disappointed how it's turned out.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31777911#31777911
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Chamblee
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
locherbread wrote:
JPRatz wrote:

Unfulfiled - 7 fulfilled -4. Doesn't seem *too* bad. Although if they got Hunt the Ravager and Papillon funded that would be 9 to 4. I can see where Kickstarter could be concerned. I wonder how many other companies have had so many kickstarters going at once, and got away with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lopz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:

Well put.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
locherbread wrote:
JPRatz wrote:

Thanks, that is a rather large list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ LeBar

Bainbridge
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if using multiple accounts could be a contributing factor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
argel1200 wrote:
Wonder if using multiple accounts could be a contributing factor?

That seems like a possibility. Too many running concurrently is NOT a reason. Just look at CMON. They had 6 running concurrently. However, making different multiple aliases to sell stuff is a big no-no on KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.