Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Poole
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a second hand minecart pledge recently. I was curious when sorting everything if it was a big deal to mix all of the expansion/game supplement mine encounter, mine artifact, map deck, darkness, and all of the threat cards together or should I keep them separate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Dyksley
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what I/we (my group) did, I got a plano case that came with 7 plano boxes. using most of those for the bits/tokens.

maps are in a file folder bin, separated by world, then by exit points.

books are in page size sleeves, put into a binder.

minis are in the cynder and other boxes. in custom foamcore inserts.

cards in several foamcore inserts, fit to the main big boxes.

gonna have a lot of modifying and additional inserts when I get the rest of the Forbidden Fortress stuff and once S.o.B. adventures comes out next year.

Edit: reference cards are placed in a binder/card sleeves for easier reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Except for the loot and scavenge cards, and the exploration tokens, the default state is for all cards with the same back to be shuffled together.

Probably the most common exception to that would be keeping the Wild West and Forbidden Fortress threat, gear, and artifact (and possibly darkness and growing dread) decks separate.

Beyond that, it is all personal preference on how much you want to tweak and theme the various decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
shaneslunchbox wrote:
I picked up a second hand minecart pledge recently. I was curious when sorting everything if it was a big deal to mix all of the expansion/game supplement mine encounter, mine artifact, map deck, darkness, and all of the threat cards together or should I keep them separate?

TLDR: mix it all is the end game, how fast you get there is up to you.

I *thought* you were going to ask about how to store and sort all the physical content. That is a crazy challenge in SoB. If you are struggling with that, there is a 20 minute YouTube video "pimping and organizing Shadows of Brimstone". That gave me some good ideas. I use the hobby lobby art box and BGG card dividers (except I also lamented mine at FedEx Kinkos). If you use the extra Scott cards (how it's listed on BGG) this will help a lot in card sorting even as you (sort of) mix sets.

Which brings us to your real question. Should cards all be mixed? Eventually (or right away) yes. However, the Scavenge deck, Loot deck, and Encounter tokens should not though. These are each 12 count items that should remain their original 12. On the rest of the stuff, my suggestion is to slowly mix or isolate decks as you play. That is, do a just City of the Ancients map, encounter, gear, and darkness run. Then do a just Swamps of Death, then maybe one core plus Void Deluxe and a few enemy packs. You might want to mix Growing Dread super early though as just 7 cards can be too repetitive/ predictable.

This lets you do two things. First, you get to ease into content and it's associated rules. Second, you get to enjoy sort of themed missions and focused content like someone would have enjoyed as they bought (or assembled) sets in a linear fashion. Why deny yourself that experience? Eventually the end would be to mix pretty much everything though.

How to do this can be tricky. I am actually in the same process as I return to the game. I have my City of Ancients card set with several expansions attached to all decks as that is the core set I played most back when. I have Swamps of death isolated with Jargono expansions and card packs (my smaller pool now). I have them all in the Hobby Lobby Art box with dividers, but I have one set of cards backwards so that I can still toggle between them. It's like I have two collections that I alternate playing. I will add mission packs slowly into each of these over the next few missions, but soon I will mix it all as I bring in Other Worlds.

It has been thematically fun this way and let's me slowly ease into rules for Void Magic, Undead Gunslinger, Jargono Tribes, etc.

Two nights ago I had a very Jargono run. Last night I went back for a City of Ancient (but just the mines) run that focused hard on corruption as I wanted to see the Dark Stone Scorpions in action. The mission was really cool, but unfortunately I got a nasty lesson about the unpredictability of extreme corruption exposure and it cost me the main character ability on my Marshal. I am thinking I will embrace that theme and work in the Scafford Gang and Blood Money content for tonight's run before dumping it into one of my "sets".

With the exception of promo packs and core sets, you can separe content fairly easily. Even the promo stuff can be, but it is a pain looking at promo number. Core sets are really hard to divide outside of Threat cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Poole
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaplin717 wrote:
shaneslunchbox wrote:

TLDR: mix it all is the end game, how fast you get there is up to you.

I *thought* you were going to ask about how to store and sort all the physical content. That is a crazy challenge in SoB. If you are struggling with that, there is a 20 minute YouTube video "pimping and organizing Shadows of Brimstone". That gave me some good ideas. I use the hobby lobby art box and BGG card dividers (except I also lamented mine at FedEx Kinkos). If you use the extra Scott cards (how it's listed on BGG) this will help a lot in card sorting even as you (sort of) mix sets.

Which brings us to your real question. Should cards all be mixed? Eventually (or right away) yes. However, the Scavenge deck, Loot deck, and Encounter tokens should not though. These are each 12 count items that should remain their original 12. On the rest of the stuff, my suggestion is to slowly mix or isolate decks as you play. That is, do a just City of the Ancients map, encounter, gear, and darkness run. Then do a just Swamps of Death, then maybe one core plus Void Deluxe and a few enemy packs. You might want to mix Growing Dread super early though as just 7 cards can be too repetitive/ predictable.

This lets you do two things. First, you get to ease into content and it's associated rules. Second, you get to enjoy sort of themed missions and focused content like someone would have enjoyed as they bought (or assembled) sets in a linear fashion. Why deny yourself that experience? Eventually the end would be to mix pretty much everything though.

How to do this can be tricky. I am actually in the same process as I return to the game. I have my City of Ancients card set with several expansions attached to all decks as that is the core set I played most back when. I have Swamps of death isolated with Jargono expansions and card packs (my smaller pool now). I have them all in the Hobby Lobby Art box with dividers, but I have one set of cards backwards so that I can still toggle between them. It's like I have two collections that I alternate playing. I will add mission packs slowly into each of these over the next few missions, but soon I will mix it all as I bring in Other Worlds.

It has been thematically fun this way and let's me slowly ease into rules for Void Magic, Undead Gunslinger, Jargono Tribes, etc.

Two nights ago I had a very Jargono run. Last night I went back for a City of Ancient (but just the mines) run that focused hard on corruption as I wanted to see the Dark Stone Scorpions in action. The mission was really cool, but unfortunately I got a nasty lesson about the unpredictability of extreme corruption exposure and it cost me the main character ability on my Marshal. I am thinking I will embrace that theme and work in the Scafford Gang and Blood Money content for tonight's run before dumping it into one of my "sets".

With the exception of promo packs and core sets, you can separe content fairly easily. Even the promo stuff can be, but it is a pain looking at promo number. Core sets are really hard to divide outside of Threat cards.

I have the hobby lobby box and have sorted all of this minecart and my shogun pledge. I am keeping the FOFO stuff separate. I have not combined the loot, scavenge, or encounter tokens. I appreciate the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.