Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I game everyday, (we are retired), so I am constantly looking for great games that play well at 2. We have over 100.

OUR CRITERIA: Must be beautiful to look at
No games where you can destroy what your opponent has built
Plays under 90 minutes
Must be interesting, not just pushing cubes around

We have all the top recommendations for 2, but we have also found some fantastic hidden gems. Please post yours too.

Adventure Land Fun , interesting movement system. Pick up weapons to kill monsters. Several variants included. Expansion is superb.
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy You are the patriarch[matriarch of a strange family.
Traders of Osaka Set collection and selling goods while advancing boats to get max points.
Artifacts, Inc. Laukat art, finding and selling artifacts. Cool game.
Circle the Wagons Very interesting, quick game. Tons of replayability.
Cathedral Cool wood castle pieces. Area control. Gorgeous game.
Famiglia Opposing gangster families. Beautiful art.
Last Will Tableau building with wacky characters. Spend money to win.
Martian Dice Fun, fast, killing time, dice chucker.
First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express! Fantastic train game, lots of variablity in the box and great expansions.We love it.
Shadows in Kyoto Interesting chess, stratego, mix. Extras in the box.
Mystery Rummy: Escape from Alcatraz We LOVE all the mystery rummy games for 2.
Ulm Hits all our favorite things about gaming.

Don't let a review on one of these great games steer you away. These games are A BLAST for me and my honey! FUN 2 player overlooked gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League Too few people who like two player games and pick up and deliver games know about this. I'm not going to try to sell you on it, you can click the link and let some reviewer do that, but it meets all four requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play The Castles of Burgundy most often. At least 50 times in the past year. We also enjoy Cribbage and Sprawlopolis.

None of these exactly fit your criteria, but they're fantastic two-player games, and they're ones I know we'll be playing a lot when we retire in ~10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League Too few people who like two player games and pick up and deliver games know about this. I'm not going to try to sell you on it, you can click the link and let some reviewer do that, but it meets all four requirements.

Yes, yes a thousand times yes! My wife hasn't played this yet, but it's one of my favorite two-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur

A friend introduced me to this game a few weeks ago. We've been having a fun time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How funny, I was going to list Perry Rhodan and Jambo, but did not because they are out of print. We really enjoy both, find them if you can.
By the way, in Perry Rhodan, we play you can counter an 'attack' card by discarding any passenger from your hand. Semi-softens the blow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Williams
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Fleet: The Dice Game? This has become one of our most played 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Og
msg tools
Batt'l Kha'os

Fun, strategic tile-laying game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities
Targi
Patchwork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming we're going for "somewhat obscure, great for couples"...

mb Karmaka
mb Seikatsu
mb Letter Tycoon
mb Mottainai
mb Longhorn
mb Sobek

And another vote for Perry Rhodan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Phillips
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also like 7 Wonders Duel and Duelasaur Island (2-player version of Dinosaur Island)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trambahn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, looking for titles for 2 that may have been overlooked. Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn’t find your collection so I couldn’t check what you have but I have listed a couple of thoughts below.

Specific for 2 players
Akrotori

Works well with 2
Five Tribes
Carpe Diem
Seasons
Santa Maria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I will retire in a year or two, and we've been avid gamers for 20 years. In addition to gaming with our friends, we also go out at least once a week for coffee and games. We've created and maintain this geeklist of 2-player games we have enjoyed, adding to it whenever we've tried something new to us. There are over 90 games in on it thus far, and there many that meet your criteria. Only 5 games mentioned on this thread thus far are on the list.

You and me . . . and coffee make three
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1qwerty wrote:
How funny, I was going to list Perry Rhodan and Jambo, but did not because they are out of print. We really enjoy both, find them if you can.
By the way, in Perry Rhodan, we play you can counter an 'attack' card by discarding any passenger from your hand. Semi-softens the blow.

Nice house rule, I plan to try it on my next play or two at least.

I get what you're saying about not wanting to put forward out of print games, but when a small game is still available new for about the same price I paid when in print and used copies are widely available on the secondary market for less it'd be a shame not to put it forward. Something like Indonesia or KriegBot or some grail game, probably not a good choice but I've got a number of second games on my shelf and they play just as well as the ones bought new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
War Chest

This game is soooooooo good. Just got it two weeks ago and it’s quick become a staple two player game for my buddy and I. Super strategic, super tactical, easy to learn but a true challenge. Almost like a modern day chess, in a sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing Akrotiri, Rivals for Catan, Blue Moon City and Sanssouci for the light to med maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We did not like Sansouci or Seeland. Another less known game we like is Arkadia nice art and cool minis. Plays great at 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1qwerty wrote:
My wife and I game everyday, (we are retired), so I am constantly looking for great games that play well at 2. We have over 100.

OUR CRITERIA: Must be beautiful to look at
No games where you can destroy what your opponent has built
Plays under 90 minutes
Must be interesting, not just pushing cubes around

Ulm Hits all our favorite things about gaming.

Can you elaborate on how well this plays at 2 players? It's been on my radar for a while but I've not been convinced enough by any of the reviews to pull the trigger.

Also, have you tried Grand Austria Hotel? Absolutely brilliant at 2 and fits all your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rajas of the Ganges

First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express!

Kodama Duo

Sagrada

Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra

Santorini

Honga

Shakespeare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These may not be hidden...

My goto 2 player games are

Jaipur
Targi

I try to always have a spare copy of those two to give away to friends to discover the joy of gaming

Santorini

Is also a great 2 player game in my book cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Gottardi
Italy
Lavis
Trento
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play:

Patchwork
Jaipur
Onitama
The Castles of Burgundy
Hanabi
Santorini
Quarto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the lists on this thread are *not* of overlooked games. Great games, yes, but they're the usual recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parry Pollock
Canada
Whistler
BC
flag msg tools
Family Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
Many of the lists on this thread are *not* of overlooked games. Great games, yes, but they're the usual recommendations.

Agreed, soooo very true!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.