Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Sarah Sanders: I told the Special Counsel I was lying, but I wasn’t rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
“Sarah Sanders, the White House press secretary, has defended claims she repeatedly made to reporters in 2017 regarding Donald Trump’s firing of then FBI director James Comey – despite admitting to investigators for the special counsel Robert Mueller that they had no basis in fact.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/19/sarah-sander...

We are all used to pols lying, but this is some next-level shit right here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot wait until she is gone. She's so horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:

Its not just her. His flunkies and advisers feel reporters and the press (and by extension the public) have no right to any basic truth. They want to guide the truth by what they want it to be, in some bizarre manner that will make it real.

It only works if you've bought into the cult.

Now, if that newTruth is going to put you into jail, that's another thing entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then h her in for perjury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:

If she's not treasonous, we need to redefine treason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This stuff from SHS makes me wish the reporters would go back to those jokes Sarah Sanders took such offense to... about ‘burning facts’ and using the ash to get a smokey eye. That comedienne was on target.

The Republican politicians all disgust me. They think it’s the high ground to refuse an illegal order from the President but still support Trump’s presidency. Their definition of high ground is the swamp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
LolaGranola wrote:

I’ve heard from countless FBI agents that she did all of the treasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:

She has accomplished the impossible by making me miss Sean fucking Spicer. That toad looks almost honest by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's repulsive and vile, but smart on her part. It's ridiculously sad that we've reached a point in time where one can invent their own facts and spew them without worries that it will negatively affect you or your chosen narrative. Let's face it, Trump's lies and exaggerations are very well documented at this point. And yet his approval numbers have remained pretty steady at between 40 and 45 percent of those polled for at least a year now. Since being fact checked ad infinitum and being called out for lying has not affected their approval ratings at all, they see no reason to stop. Why have someone else control the narrative when you can attempt to do so and face no negative consequences as a result, and maintain your core base while doing so.
I suppose we can take some comfort in the fact that his approval ratings are hovering below the 50 percent range for now. If that continues to be the case it may bode well for his removal through the election process if the Dems can get a reasonably solid candidate on the ticket. If his approval numbers start hovering above the 50 or 55 percent range then it's time to worry even more.
People also have to vote smart. You've got to actually vote instead of staying home, and no goofy third party voting for someone who has a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning the election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
You know, her lying on ABC again with that giant sneer on her face is almost singlehandedly convincing me this administration needs to be spanked with an impeachment. Obviously they are going to keep doing what they are doing. She can't even stop lying after she was caught doing it.

She lies except when doing so might end up with her ass in jail, i.e. talking to Mueller's people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
jonb wrote:
It's repulsive and vile, but smart on her part.

It's not smart at all. I think it may be the thing that breaks the camel's back on impeachment.

Between that and Barr's sugar coating of the report as Trump just being frustrated. FFS. That's bullshit. It's the nature of the Presidency that you will be exposed to conflict and be frustrated a lot in your agenda.

Impeachment will at best happen in the house and not in the senate. It's a ceremonial statement at that point and they realize that. And at the moment, even the Meuller report doesn't seem to be changing Trump's approval rating much. Sanders and all other Trump cronies will continue to lie as long as they perceive it's not changing their approval rating negatively. It may do so at some point, but that doesn't appear to be the case just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
You know, her lying on ABC again with that giant sneer on her face is almost singlehandedly convincing me this administration needs to be spanked with an impeachment. Obviously they are going to keep doing what they are doing. She can't even stop lying after she was caught doing it.

She lies except when doing so might end up with her ass in jail, i.e. talking to Mueller's people.

Can we just start swearing the press secretary in at the beginning of the now bimonthly press meeting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
jonb wrote:

It's not smart at all. I think it may be the thing that breaks the camel's back on impeachment.

Between that and Barr's sugar coating of the report as Trump just being frustrated. FFS. That's bullshit. It's the nature of the Presidency that you will be exposed to conflict and be frustrated a lot in your agenda.

Impeachment will at best happen in the house and not in the senate. It's a ceremonial statement at that point and they realize that. And at the moment, even the Meuller report doesn't seem to be changing Trump's approval rating much. Sanders and all other Trump cronies will continue to lie as long as they perceive it's not changing their approval rating negatively. It may do so at some point, but that doesn't appear to be the case just yet.

Pelosi has this right, unfortunately. Impeachment without conviction will give them sympathy, like Clinton's failed conviction did. We, sadly, must grin and bear it, so that in 2020 they will have hoist themselves on their own petard with lies and idiocy. (With continuing pressure by legislative oversight and investigations.)

I was against Pelosi being reelected Leader again. I was completely off base. She's got a clear and present strategic mind, and good enough tactics to keep the rank and file in line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit torn on impeachment. On the one hand, its pretty obvious that Trump attempted to obstruct the investigation on several occasions and in several ways so there is strong evidence to run with it. On the other hand since the senate won't impeach it reduces impeachment to a merely symbolic gesture practically speaking.

Part of me would like to see them impeach because it's technically the right thing to do. But part of me is also aware that the right thing is not always the most politically expedient or that the right thing would bring about more positive results than if the right thing is not done at all.

The Dems do need to be careful to not be perceived as vengeful and trivial. Trump's approval numbers are hovering too close to the 50 percent mark to be blase about losing another three or four percent of voters to his side. Tough decision either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
jonb wrote:

Fuck approval ratings. Right and wrong have nothing to do with polling numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
jonb wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
jonb wrote:

Fuck vengeance. That reduces us to them. Our priority has to be to making a 2020 win a certainty and a crushing defeat of Trumpism and its merry band of counter-revolutionaries. No maybes. No we might be able to get both. He must go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
jonb wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
jonb wrote:

Agreed, ideally speaking Sanders should be more truthful and not make shit up out of thin air and spout it off as if it is truth. But at this point in time they've been lying for so long with no ill effects to their polling numbers that it doesn't really pay for them to speak truth and risk losing some of their base. From their viewpoint, continuing to lie and maintain their own narrative and be on the offensive rather than defensive is the politically smart thing for them to do until they see evidence that their lying is detrimental to their polling numbers. It will certainly maintain their base better. Personally, I think that if their lying continues it WILL hurt their numbers in the long run before the next election because it likely will turn off a small percentage of people who did vote for Trump last time around but may be persuaded not to do so next time. And they can't necessarily afford to lose another 3 or 4 percent with their current numbers being what they are. But that loss in numbers doesn't appear to have happened YET. Hopefully, it will happen before November 2020. There is a possibility it may not. As we've already seen quite amply, some people don't see Trump and company as being liars, and some don't give a crap that they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albatros28215 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
jonb wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
jonb wrote:

Fuck vengeance. That reduces us to them. Our priority has to be to making a 2020 win a certainty and a crushing defeat of Trumpism and its merry band of counter-revolutionaries. No maybes. No we might be able to get both. He must go.

Just as right and wrong have nothing to do with polling numbers, it also has nothing to do with vengeance. Do what is right. If cohorts intercede and enable by not convicting, then there's all the more to hold them accountable for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
jonb wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
jonb wrote:

Agreed, ideally speaking Sanders should be more truthful and not make shit up out of thin air and spout it off as if it is truth. But at this point in time they've been lying for so long with no ill effects to their polling numbers that it doesn't really pay for them to speak truth and risk losing some of their base. From their viewpoint, continuing to lie and maintain their own narrative and be on the offensive rather than defensive is the politically smart thing for them to do until they see evidence that their lying is detrimental to their polling numbers. It will certainly maintain their base better. Personally, I think that if their lying continues it WILL hurt their numbers in the long run before the next election because it likely will turn off a small percentage of people who did vote for Trump last time around but may be persuaded not to do so next time. And they can't necessarily afford to lose another 3 or 4 percent with their current numbers being what they are. But that loss in numbers doesn't appear to have happened YET. Hopefully, it will happen before November 2020. There is a possibility it may not. As we've already seen quite amply, some people don't see Trump and company as being liars, and some don't give a crap that they are.

Impeach. If you want to see people be held accountable for their lies, let it happen under oath. We've already seen her lie, then tell the truth under oath, then lie once more about what truths were told. The only remedy is to make this all official, all under oath. You are still looking at this through the lens of elections. And that takes law and order and continues to play politics with it the way the other side is doing. With the evidence at hand, impeachment is right and necessary. Putting it off in hopes of shedding 3% off the GOP is to be complicit in the travesty against justice that has already started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly wouldn't object if they decide to impeach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
failing to start the impeachment process for political reasons is IMO a mistake and turns this all into a political game. The job of the legislature is impeach the president if he deserves it. In this case an investigation is extremely clearly warranted and should begin ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borowitz:

Quote:
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Accuses Media of Anti-Liar Bias

Reacting to the journalist April Ryan’s call for her to be fired, the White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said, on Friday, that she has been the victim of the media’s “widespread anti-liar bias.”

“From their obsession with fact-checking to their relentless attacks on falsehoods, the media have made no secret of their bias,” Sanders said. “It’s open season on liars in America.”

“This is media hypocrisy at its very worst,” she added. “The same journalists who advocate freedom of speech want to take that freedom away from anyone whose speech consists entirely of lies.”

“This is nothing more or less than a direct attack on the lying life style,” she said. “You take away my right to lie and you take away my ability to earn a living.”

Kellyanne Conway, the White House senior counsellor, spoke out in support of Sanders, telling reporters, “An attack on one liar is an attack on all liars.”

“Our country has seen some dark days, from the Bowling Green Massacre to the bugging of the White House microwave,” she said. “But this might be the darkest.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Valuable bathroom real estate!
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:
Terwox wrote:
LolaGranola wrote:

I’ve heard from countless FBI agents that she did all of the treasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is admitting to lying under oath a crime?

Is it a crime if you were only telling the truth under oath?

This is starting to feel like "there are three knights on an island, and one always tells the truth, one always lies, and one flips a coin and then operates a trolley where one hitler is tied to the tracks but you can push a large man onto the tracks..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Is admitting to lying under oath a crime?

Is it a crime if you were only telling the truth under oath?

This is starting to feel like "there are three knights on an island, and one always tells the truth, one always lies, and one flips a coin and then operates a trolley where one hitler is tied to the tracks but you can push a large man onto the tracks..."

Lying to the FBI is a crime. I think they should take her public statements at face value, thus proving she lied to them when she said her initial “countless FBI agents” statement was a lie. The only way she doesn’t go to jail is by admitting that she is now lying about having lied about whether she lied in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.