Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deluxe Edition. Played first two turns with two friends.

First impression not good. Wild East Front with no ZOC on turn 1, and rapid stalemate on West Front with GE unable to take Antwerp or Brussels.

Rules were somewhat difficult to navigate.

Game was playable but not fun and felt unreal, mostly due to unrealistic 3x speed use of enemy rails in the East, the extremely low unit density on East Front on turn 1, and the no ZOC for non-entrenched units.

Game seems tilted heavily in favor of CP, as they have equal MP (resource points), their armies are superior, and they have the advantage of central position. So after Turn 1, Germany builds a wall in the West and throws every thing at Russia to knock-out Russia ASAP. Predictable and not very interesting.

Especially unrealistic was making the Austro-Hungarian armies equal to France's and superior to Russia's armies. The AH 5 & 6 armies were really ill equipped Balkan troops who were whipped by the Serbs in 1914. The Russians badly beat Austria-Hungary in 1914 and 1916. That does not seem possible here.

The chrome (National Will, Strategic, Tactical, Naval, Plan markers) adds a lot of work but not a lot of fun.

I'll tackle this again, but only after some major house rules work, which is the real fun of these games anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Without giving us an AAR, it is impossible to figure out if you are playing legally let alone tactically correctly or not to reach the conclusions you do.

I agree on turn 1 the Germans have some advantages. The CP needs to try to make hay while the sun shines are the Allies have more resources.

When first learning a game, I first want to make sure I am playing it legally before considering trying to change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.