Subject: Why Nemesis is 10/10 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Soller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I'm seeing lots of people trying to get in on KS backings lately and I have been paying attention to the forums. I'm bored at work so I figured I would try to make a comprehensive list of reasons why this is my 3rd favorite game of all time. I hope you enjoy!

- Theme
My favorite board games are thematic. In my opinion, theme is what separates total immersion in a different world, and people just crunching numbers and moving pieces around (Azul). This game has a solid thematic explanation for EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF THE GAME! Think you found something that doesn't make sense thematically or is unbalanced? You're wrong. try looking at it from a different angle. Awaken Realms thought of everything, seriously. For example: deciding how many cards to leave in hand at the end of every turn. My first 2 playthroughs, I just kind of ignored the whole mechanic and obviously used all of my action cards every turn because who doesn't want to do as much as possible, right? It took me 4 playthroughs and hours of constant pondering of why none of us could survive this beast of a game! Think about it, if you were ACTUALLY stuck on a possibly broken ship infested with "intruders", would you sprint around by yourself rummaging and making all kinds of noise carelessly? You could, but you would die. You would have to consider when to be careful and when to sprint. You would need to consider going with somebody else for safety even if he has his own plans or even if you need to kill him at some point. I've never had a game FORCE me to actually PUT myself IN the game before, in order to win.

- Quality
I've never played a game with such high quality components. Even the insert that comes with the game has little symbols in every compartment so that you can easily identify what goes where. Also, EACH AND EVERY SINGLE character action card has unique and beautiful artwork on it depicting that actual character acting out that actual action. Each "rest" card has art of YOUR character snoozing. Amazing.

- Interactivity
I often read about how people don't care for a game because they feel like they are just kind of doing their own thing while other people are doing their own thing on the same board and there's hardly a way to influence other players. Multi person solitaire I think it's called. I also hate this and Nemesis couldn't be farther from this. As I said before, even if you have to kill everyone, the only possible way to get that done is to work with them and gain their trust and wait until the perfect opportunity to execute your big plan. If you let someone figure out that you mean them harm to early, you will lose that game. I've never looked around the table and seen my friends looking back me in that way they do in Mexican standoffs in the movies before, but this game will make that happen every time. If you aren't into games where people have the chance to dramatically stab each other in the back then that's a shame because no other game does it better. I lost a game once which would have been my first win by getting stabbed in the back and I honestly felt hurt for a minute. Story can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2170417/crazy-ending. After I gathered myself, I realized that what just happened would make an amazing movie, truly.

- Uniqueness
In order to enjoy this game properly, I honestly suggest that you wipe everything you know about board games from your mind because this is hardly a boardgame. It's more of a simulation between you and your friends that happens to be played out on a board on the table. This "game" is one hell of a ride and you have never played anything like it, guaranteed.

- Characters
I can't think of any game where each and every character feels so dang different from each other. This is far from those games where each character has one unique ability. Each character not only has a unique starting weapon and a unique action deck, but each character even has unique mission items (I think they are called) which can only be explained as things that this person knows how to build given the right components/environment using their past professional experience. The Captain can use his Captain's log key to LOOK AT SOMEONE'S SUPER SECRET OBJECTIVE! The scientist can create mobile lab equipment to do research on the go instead of having to find the lab! How cool is that!? Going back on the unique action deck, not only do characters have unique actions such as the Soldier's "full auto" which I have seen kill the queen in one attack or the Scout's "reconnaissance" which is the one and only way to move into an empty room without a noise roll, but there are even several cards (correct me if I'm wrong) that are in some character decks but not in others. The mechanic and captain for example, can do repairs, but not the scientist or scout. Lastly, each character plays so differently that it really changes everything in terms of your strategy on how to win. Have to kill the mechanic? you definitely won't be able to trap him in a room. Have to kill the soldier? You probably won't be able to use an intruder to try and kill him.

- Future content
I have never in my life been more excited for future content (except GoT). There's a character coming up called the "convict". This character is going to "start every game in handcuffs limiting you to only one heavy item. Only other characters can remove your handcuffs for you." It gets better: The convict can make noise to attract intruders in case other players don't want to free you. If you haven't played this game yet, I don't think I'll be able to help you grasp just how BIG OF A WRENCH THIS WILL THROW INTO THE GAME!! Oh and there will 2 other types of "intruders" that will play completely different than the base "Alien" type intruders. One of them will be like the ones from Dead Space, which will allow you live out most of your space horror fantasies ALL IN ONE GAME!

- Summary
Honestly, there's probably more but I'm getting burned out and I can't think of any more at this time. Sorry if this is TLDR, this is more lengthy than I had anticipated (gigity). This game genuinely restores some of my faith in life and humanity. BUY THIS GAME AT ALL COSTS! Hope you enjoyed my silliness. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojtas
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[cut]

So it's safe to say that you're fan(boy)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the reviews I've read, and all the videos I've watched, I think I can safely say I saw nothing, mechanically speaking, that I haven't seen in other games before. As to how different and/or unique the OP claims the game to be, I think there may be a lack of diverse experience with other games, or simple over-enthusiasm.

Having said that, I am excited about the game, and look forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

DarrellKH wrote:
Out of all the reviews I've read, and all the videos I've watched, I think I can safely say I saw nothing, mechanically speaking, that I haven't seen in other games before.

I think the 'Noise' mechanic in this game is unique... i.e., when you consider that it represents the Intruders making noise - and thus an indication of their growing local threat. Typically for most games of this genre, it's the charactes who make noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Out of all the reviews I've read, and all the videos I've watched, I think I can safely say I saw nothing, mechanically speaking, that I haven't seen in other games before. As to how different and/or unique the OP claims the game to be, I think there may be a lack of diverse experience with other games, or simple over-enthusiasm.

I think we can always get back to the "original thought" debate, but I personally feel the way all of the rules fit together creates a truly unique and immersive gaming experience.

I've been playing board games for 40+ years - probably a couple thousand games ranging from simple party games to things like High Frontier and Panzer (and ASL back in the day). I've played 25ish games of Nemesis so far (solo, coop, and semi-coop) and the 5-6 player semi-coop games I played recently were the most fun I've ever had in all of my years of gaming - it's that good for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
That's....a long read.
Haven't had my coffee yet. I'll try again later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Soller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
vojtasass wrote:
[cut]

So it's safe to say that you're fan(boy)?

You ain't wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Soller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
DarrellKH wrote:

Can't wait till you play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Soller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
ron42na wrote:
I've been playing board games for 40+ years - probably a couple thousand games ranging from simple party games to things like High Frontier and Panzer (and ASL back in the day). I've played 25ish games of Nemesis so far (solo, coop, and semi-coop) and the 5-6 player semi-coop games I played recently were the most fun I've ever had in all of my years of gaming - it's that good for me.

I admit I don't have nearly that experience but I couldn't agree more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yprum Davalinor
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old_Sol wrote:
...this is my 3rd favorite game of all time.

So, what are the other two? if this is only the third and that's how you describe it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Soller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
yprum wrote:
Old_Sol wrote:
...this is my 3rd favorite game of all time.

So, what are the other two? if this is only the third and that's how you describe it...

Number 2 is Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition and 1 is Star Wars Imperial Assault
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

I think we can always get back to the "original thought" debate, but I personally feel the way all of the rules fit together creates a truly unique and immersive gaming experience.

I've been playing board games since 1962, and I cannot count the times I've heard (or, on BGG, read) that this or that game is "the best", "perfect", "10 out of 10”' and so on, only to find that it isn't, and this is more often the case with kickstarters. The best games I've found are those for which nobody shouts unbridled enthusiasm, but instead simply says something along the lines of, "this is a solid game design".

I have several games ranked 10 out of 10, but that always came only after playing the game repeatedly. Allow me my skepticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hiner
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I play the bigger a fan I am. I haven't played as much as you but I've played about 6 times and have loved it every time. In all those games we've had about 2 or 3 players survive and only 1 player win the game. It's brutally hard, especially if you don't play selfishly. To win I think you have to move fast, finish your objective and get out. Unless your objective requires it then let everyone else die. Some people I play with seem to dislike games that are this hard to win but I love it because my first victory is going to be all the sweeter.

I agree that it's not the most original game but the execution in the way the rules fit together with the theme makes for a heck of a lot of fun. I'm very much looking forward to the other enemies and Aftermath since they should put a new spin on the game that will give so many options for what kind of a game we want to play and how long we want to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Soller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
CodeMercenary wrote:
The more I play the bigger a fan I am. I haven't played as much as you but I've played about 6 times and have loved it every time. In all those games we've had about 2 or 3 players survive and only 1 player win the game. It's brutally hard, especially if you don't play selfishly. To win I think you have to move fast, finish your objective and get out. Unless your objective requires it then let everyone else die. Some people I play with seem to dislike games that are this hard to win but I love it because my first victory is going to be all the sweeter.

Yea I am 0/8 now but I don't even care, still an awesome game. Also, I have only even seen 2 people win (same game). This game definitely punishes you for being too altruistic which understandably could be hard to handle. A guy just got airlocked out yesterday while in the fire control room putting out 2 fires lol. He took it like a champ. We needed those escape pods open though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the enthusiastic post!
I agree with you - this game does something really, really well - creates a thematic space horror experience through just the gameplay itself. And AR did a superb job on the components also.
Of course it’s only a 10/10 for those of us who enjoy this immersive, Ameritrash style of game.. but for gamers like us, it’s quite a ride.

Hopefully your post encourages like minded gamers to pick up this gem.
It’s definitely a keeper for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Soller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
VillainousEye wrote:
Thanks for the enthusiastic post!
I agree with you - this game does something really, really well - creates a thematic space horror experience through just the gameplay itself. And AR did a superb job on the components also.
Of course it’s only a 10/10 for those of us who enjoy this immersive, Ameritrash style of game.. but for gamers like us, it’s quite a ride.

Hopefully your post encourages like minded gamers to pick up this gem.
It’s definitely a keeper for me!

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it! I love all board games but Ameritrash seems to be my favorite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epaka Andronica
msg tools
mbmb
I'm way into a good theme as well. Without it i personally feel that there is almost no reason to play anything other than chess, which, let's face it, has a war theme too. My gaming group finally got Nemesis to the table recently. We had to wait until I finished painting everything. We loved it. We played the fully cooperative mode so that we could get a handle on the rules without the added layer of stress and suspicion that I'm certain will really change up the game. We all lost as the ship burned up, one turn away from victory. Before that though, there were some incredibly exciting events; emptying a clip into the Queen and forcing her to retreat into an airlock and then killing her, dramatically nabbing an egg from the nest before it burned up, setting new coordinates, repairing an engine, etc.

The word that comes to mind is CINEMATIC. The game told an exciting story, and we had a blast.

Now I have a plan to build a tricked out version of the game board and really ratchet up the theme. I expect we will get many many hours of joy from this game. Kudos Awaken Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Schutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also adore the game. Unfortunately, my gaming group does not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.