Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is Sprint a free move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Sprint X let a hero move X spaces in addition to its two actions, or does it add spaces onto a travel action? Could a character Sprint and then attack twice?

The rules seem to imply yes, but do not clarify...

Sprint is a keyword that allows a hero to move extra spaces.
89.1 When a hero is taking a turn during the action phase, that hero can discard a card that has the “Sprint X” keyword to move X additional spaces.
89.2 A hero can perform other actions and resolve other game effects between each movement that is provided by the “Sprint X” keyword.
89.3 A hero can only discard a card to use the “Sprint X” keyword if that card is prepared.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, Bryan.

The Sprint text on a skill card appears like this:

Sprint 1 (During your turn, discard to move 1 space.)

By the Golden Rule, card text overrides the Rules Reference and Learn to Play books.

To me that says that it does not require an action, and does not need to be appended to a travel action. It says "discard" and "move 1 space".

This costs a prepared skill card, so giving us something like sprint over 1 space to attack twice in that space seems like a fair exchange.

I bet this one is in the first FAQ.




2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Keywords are not actions.

Even when their effect looks like an action.

Though be sure to realize that Sprint Keyword lets you Move (same as Travel Action would) and it also can provoke enemies (because it’s the moving that provokes, not the action.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas B
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
I've been playing as if it didn't cost an action. Sprint cards are actually really powerful in journey scenarios, as you're very short on time. I also don't think it counts as a travel action when it interacts with the "Tireless" card, which allows you to perform an action you did not perform after your turn ends.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Lethargus wrote:
I've been playing as if it didn't cost an action. Sprint cards are actually really powerful in journey scenarios, as you're very short on time. I also don't think it counts as a travel action when it interacts with the "Tireless" card, which allows you to perform an action you did not perform after your turn ends.
I had assumed you need to take a travel action and use Sprint effects to modify it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
Lethargus wrote:
I've been playing as if it didn't cost an action. Sprint cards are actually really powerful in journey scenarios, as you're very short on time. I also don't think it counts as a travel action when it interacts with the "Tireless" card, which allows you to perform an action you did not perform after your turn ends.
I had assumed you need to take a travel action and use Sprint effects to modify it.

The "Strike" ability lists it must be used during an attack, so you have to first start an attack, i.e. use an action.

"Sprint" just says "During your turn", so the only condition to use Sprint is that your turn is currently underway - no need for a move travel action first. Otherwise, they would just have stated "During a move action, discard..."
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, there is no “move” action. There is a “travel” action that allows a hero to move up to 2 spaces. Sprint is not an action and is not linked to a travel action.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Petilli
msg tools
mbmb
Gregaria wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:
Lethargus wrote:
I've been playing as if it didn't cost an action. Sprint cards are actually really powerful in journey scenarios, as you're very short on time. I also don't think it counts as a travel action when it interacts with the "Tireless" card, which allows you to perform an action you did not perform after your turn ends.
I had assumed you need to take a travel action and use Sprint effects to modify it.

The "Strike" ability lists it must be used during an attack, so you have to first start an attack, i.e. use an action.

"Sprint" just says "During your turn", so the only condition to use Sprint is that your turn is currently underway - no need for a move travel action first. Otherwise, they would just have stated "During a move action, discard..."


This is exactly right.

Honestly given how important action economy is in this game I'm halfway tempted to call Sprint the most powerful keyword in the game. And Legolas is a top pick for me both because his innate ability is so good (sprint for an inspiration every turn? Yes plz and thank you) and Tireless is one of the most amazing cards I've seen. Pathfinder Legolas is an action economy machine and I love it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There would be no confusion if they wrote in the Rules Reference for Sprint simply "When a hero is taking a turn during the action phase, that hero can discard a card that has the "Sprint X" keyword to move X spaces."
However, it's not the case. It says "to move X additional spaces". So either it can be discarded only for additional movement after Travel action, or it's written really badly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
There would be no confusion if they wrote in the Rules Reference for Sprint simply "When a hero is taking a turn during the action phase, that hero can discard a card that has the "Sprint X" keyword to move X spaces."
However, it's not the case. It says "to move X additional spaces". So either it can be discarded only for additional movement after Travel action, or it's written really badly.


I vote poorly written.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Field
United Kingdom
Leicester
England
flag msg tools
In addition to that, rule 2.2.3 adds more weight to the fact that this didn't need to be part of the journey action:

"If an ability allows a hero to move, attack, or interact, these
abilities are not actions even though the effects are identical to
those granted by performing actions."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.