Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategy for Second Vagabond Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willow Palecek
msg tools
designer
mbmb
We played a five player game last night- three of us for the first time, with the base factions plus a second vagabond. Just a few turns into the game the second vagabond player remarked that the first vagabond in turn order had a pretty strong first mover advantage: pretty much anytime one of the other players crafted an item, the first vagabond was able to scoop it up. The second vagabond only got a couple items the game, and was consistently behind. (In the end, the Alliance won, with Vagabond #1 and the Cats a turn behind, and the Eerie and Vagabond #2 being about halfway up the victory track.)

So my question is, in a game with two vagabonds, where you find yourself going second, what should you do?

My suspicion is you should do the opposite of what the other vagabond is doing and drive hard on that: if they are doing a lot of trading, go hostile and kill many enemy warriors, if they are being aggressive, be more peaceful. And if might be beneficial for Vagabond #2 to look for a good opportunity to shank Vagabond #1.

Anyone have experience with this situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General consensus seems to be that making sure the vagabonds don’t follow one another in turn order is the way to go. I can’t say because my group has not used double vagabonds yet.

Which gets to the reason I wanted to respond - I think the way to go is to just not play two vagabonds. The otters are a similar sort of faction in that they can help one faction over another and are reliant on other factions to some extent for their success. They’re called ‘opportunist’ factions (can’t remember if that is the language in the rule book though) but you can think of them more as political factions, where the others are more militaristic factions. Both rely on table talk and some charm to manipulate the board to their advantage, but there’s not resource overlap between the two the way there is with two vagabonds. Further, two vagabonds don’t directly interact much either, but one vagabond and the otters have opportunity to help each other just like any other faction, so I think that makes the game a bit more fun. Every faction is in competition, but two vagabonds are like a rivalry - you’ll have to focus too much on each other instead of on everyone. Try keeping it to one vagabond instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. miriku
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WillowX wrote:
We played a five player game last night- three of us for the first time, with the base factions plus a second vagabond. Just a few turns into the game the second vagabond player remarked that the first vagabond in turn order had a pretty strong first mover advantage: pretty much anytime one of the other players crafted an item, the first vagabond was able to scoop it up. The second vagabond only got a couple items the game, and was consistently behind. (In the end, the Alliance won, with Vagabond #1 and the Cats a turn behind, and the Eerie and Vagabond #2 being about halfway up the victory track.)

So my question is, in a game with two vagabonds, where you find yourself going second, what should you do?

My suspicion is you should do the opposite of what the other vagabond is doing and drive hard on that: if they are doing a lot of trading, go hostile and kill many enemy warriors, if they are being aggressive, be more peaceful. And if might be beneficial for Vagabond #2 to look for a good opportunity to shank Vagabond #1.

Anyone have experience with this situation?

I think you're exactly right, with the 2nd vagabond going opposite strategy, and I would even recommend that if the 1st vagabond is going for a points win, vagabond 2 should change plans and go "domination" victory and join the lowest player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive only seen two Vs twice, and the first was a clear case of 'don't sit them together'.

The opposite strategy sounds like good advice to try too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
msg tools
It just happened to us, and it was just as bad.

We decided that from now on, we will only place one V in turn order, and the other will be placed 'opposite'.

Ex: in 6 player, order turns out to be

Cats, Otter, Birds, Vag, lizards. So we place the other vag between cat and otter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.