Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
66 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

On Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Neoprene mat. Are you getting it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure this will add to the game all that much, hesitating to get it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a 2mm thick 24x14" mat with cover art. No game function, but it looks good. If you have a use for it in another game or want to hang it on your wall, go for it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Don't want something that doesn't fit in the box and doesn't do anything particularly useful.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s just game art, it has no gameplay function. Definite pass for me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Wonder why they wouldn't put an image of the game board on it instead? Seems more practical, and would probably sell a lot more?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, not use for this, or even a larger game mat in that I have a dedicated game table... so...
If they had included the game board, I imagine it would have needed to be much larger, and more expensive. (It would have been more useful, though.whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Helbig
msg tools
mbmbmb
Won't buy it. The mats I know have a certain smell I dislike and don't need them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

Backed out of the KS campaign too.

The hypocrisy of "We want to support FLGS by giving them a retail only promo that you as an average pledge type person can't have right now but can pick up for more money from somewhere after retailers have had them for 60 days ... But we don't want to support retailers that much! I mean really look at all the KS monies you're giving us and we don't have to cut in a middle man!" made me uncomfortable so I cancelled my pledge.

Sad really. Looks like a great game. And finally a Vital game with a theme that resonates with me.

But my conscience won't allow me to support Eagle-Gryhon on this particular venture. I mean hey ... If they are devaluing my money and contribution, why should I bother?

I really need to unsubscribe from this game and forget about it.

Apologies for derailing this thread.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you care about FLGSes that much? If so, why are you begrudging them getting 1 promo card to boost sales? Or maybe if you examine deep down perhaps you value your own interests over the FLGSes and don't care that much about them after all.

All of that over a single card--a silly complaint IMO. But hey, it's your money so do what you want with it.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
NO QUEDAN PINGÜINOZ
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The mat imho is only for polygamers, I’d use it to play MTG, for example, but I have plenty of them, and for another one I’d rather command custom art I like than purchase this mat from EEG, a fortiori knowing it does not even support SGs (and I don’t want to open a Pandora’s phial on the topic of SG contingence and nature; there’s an active thread on the topic in this game).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fish
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it’s useless
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fish
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NingaubleOTSE wrote:
Nope.

Backed out of the KS campaign too.

The hypocrisy of "We want to support FLGS by giving them a retail only promo that you as an average pledge type person can't have right now but can pick up for more money from somewhere after retailers have had them for 60 days ... But we don't want to support retailers that much! I mean really look at all the KS monies you're giving us and we don't have to cut in a middle man!" made me uncomfortable so I cancelled my pledge.

Sad really. Looks like a great game. And finally a Vital game with a theme that resonates with me.

But my conscience won't allow me to support Eagle-Gryhon on this particular venture. I mean hey ... If they are devaluing my money and contribution, why should I bother?

I really need to unsubscribe from this game and forget about it.

Apologies for derailing this thread.


It is definitely not cool that backers will have to pay extra to get it later.

The thing that annoys me is the ridiculously contrived justification for the absurd price for EP add on. They’re trying to pretend as though it’s some altruistic policy to reward EP backers when it’s really simply price gouging current backers.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Not getting it. Vital's games boards are normally huge, really thick and really good quality. I don't think I'll be needing this nor I think it'll fit his games designs/components.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
Do you care about FLGSes that much? If so, why are you begrudging them getting 1 promo card to boost sales? Or maybe if you examine deep down perhaps you value your own interests over the FLGSes and don't care that much about them after all.

All of that over a single card--a silly complaint IMO. But hey, it's your money so do what you want with it.


Silly to you perhaps - which is sad because I tend to agree with the majority of your posts. But like I said, Eagle-Gryphon saying they want to support retailers yet still running a KS camapaign is hypocritical.

Eagle-Gryphon telling me as a first day (within 10 minutes of the campaign start) backer that I can pay for a promo later, not because I missed some sort of early bird bonus but because I'm not buying 6 copies of their game at a wholesale price and running a brick and mortar store is insulting. It sends a message that my money and contribution is not important to them. But hey, my lost $89 is just a drop in the bucket.

Of course I value my own interests over the LGS that has repeatedly told me that they have no intent to back a KS project ever. Your mileage may vary.

It's not the value of the item in question, it's the fact that it's happening at all within the current KS campaign. If I missed out before or after? Oh well, too bad for me.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NingaubleOTSE wrote:
But like I said, Eagle-Gryphon saying they want to support retailers yet still running a KS camapaign is hypocritical.

Lots of publishers do retailer tiers. Are they all hypocritical? After all, those tiers always provide something that normal backer tiers don't, i.e. lower prices per unit. If you can pay extra for this card later, what's the difference?

Would it make any difference to you to know that they would offer the card for "free" as part of the expansion Kickstarter? I read that somewhere but don't know if it's an official statement from EGG or speculation from backers.

Quote:
Eagle-Gryphon telling me as a first day (within 10 minutes of the campaign start) backer that I can pay for a promo later, not because I missed some sort of early bird bonus but because I'm not buying 6 copies of their game at a wholesale price and running a brick and mortar store is insulting. It sends a message that my money and contribution is not important to them.

I disagree. I think it sends the message that they don't want to completely alienate FLGSes and are providing them with a way to boost retail sales with a very minimal impact to individual backers in the form of a single card.

Proportion matters, IMO. If they had given retailers a whole free expansion that backers couldn't get I'd be on board with your complaint. Principle doesn't have to be black and white--it can be a sliding scale, which in this case I believe it is. YMMV and as previously stated you're welcome to your opinion too. I just happen to strongly disagree with it and consider the elevation of the omission of a single card to the status of a principle stance as an overreaction.
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that it's a single card.

It's the fact that it's something ... anything ... that any backer, other than a retailer, is being excluded from.

Within the same campaign.
That is not a EB that I missed.
That is not a pledge tier option available to me that I am actively not choosing.

Retailer pledges? Not a problem.

"We value retailers" but still want all that sweet non-retailer money? Hypocrisy.

Good business? Surely.
But hypocrisy nonetheless.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NingaubleOTSE wrote:
Nope.

Backed out of the KS campaign too.

The hypocrisy of "We want to support FLGS by giving them a retail only promo that you as an average pledge type person can't have right now but can pick up for more money from somewhere after retailers have had them for 60 days ... But we don't want to support retailers that much! I mean really look at all the KS monies you're giving us and we don't have to cut in a middle man!" made me uncomfortable so I cancelled my pledge.

Sad really. Looks like a great game. And finally a Vital game with a theme that resonates with me.

But my conscience won't allow me to support Eagle-Gryhon on this particular venture. I mean hey ... If they are devaluing my money and contribution, why should I bother?

I really need to unsubscribe from this game and forget about it.

Apologies for derailing this thread.


I'm not gonna be as drastic as you, cause I really want the game and I'm not that much of an activist, but I also don't like that, as a backer, and particularly getting a signed copy, I'm not getting all the content available.
I think it's a really low move from EGG.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
Just my two cents, but I don’t get why people are upset about a promo card. They said you can get it on their website after the exclusivity period for those that really want to have it.

But it’s just one card out of literally hundreds in the box.

Perhaps I just have to realise that I live in the age where people are completionists and got to complete all the achievements in a video game or something to that effect.

As for the neoprene Mat, no I’m not getting it.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway -

The point of the mat is for people who want the art on a game mat for other games. Magic the Gathering and such. The point isn’t to replace the board, like the mat for Rising Sun does.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arbok26 wrote:
Just my two cents, but I don’t get why people are upset about a promo card. They said you can get it on their website after the exclusivity period for those that really want to have it.

But it’s just one card out of literally hundreds in the box.

Perhaps I just have to realise that I live in the age where people are completionists and got to complete all the achievements in a video game or something to that effect.

As for the neoprene Mat, no I’m not getting it.


Is there anything, ever, even the slightest thing, related to gaming that, on this site, doesn't generate controversy?


EGG is in a damned if they do, damned if they don't position at this point. I thought it was a generous nod to FLGSs to add this. It won't change my pledge. I'll get the promo eventually, and probably not from a local retailer. Yes, Kickstarter cuts out the FLGS and the middle man. Always. That's the business model. So, to at least throw them a bone, EGG creates ONE promo card exclusive to retailers for a short period of time, and now they hear cries of "hypocrisy" as a result?

Seems pretty ridiculous [to me]. It's almost like we're just looking for a reason to be outraged. But hey, each is entitled to his own opinion (and purchasing power) - so vote with your wallet. I just think this is an odd choice for a hill to die on.

*edit: Oh yeah, back on topic - not getting the mat. I don’t really see a use for it.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge1000 wrote:
arbok26 wrote:
Just my two cents, but I don’t get why people are upset about a promo card. They said you can get it on their website after the exclusivity period for those that really want to have it.

But it’s just one card out of literally hundreds in the box.

Perhaps I just have to realise that I live in the age where people are completionists and got to complete all the achievements in a video game or something to that effect.

As for the neoprene Mat, no I’m not getting it.


Is there anything, ever, even the slightest thing, related to gaming that, on this site, doesn't generate controversy?


EGG is in a damned if they do, damned if they don't position at this point. I thought it was a generous nod to FLGSs to add this. It won't change my pledge. I'll get the promo eventually, and probably not from a local retailer. Yes, Kickstarter cuts out the FLGS and the middle man. Always. That's the business model. So, to at least throw them a bone, EGG creates ONE promo card exclusive to retailers for a short period of time, and now they hear cries of "hypocrisy" as a result?

Seems pretty ridiculous [to me]. It's almost like we're just looking for a reason to be outraged. But hey, each is entitled to his own opinion (and purchasing power) - so vote with your wallet. I just think this is an odd choice for a hill to die on.

*edit: Oh yeah, back on topic - not getting the mat. I don’t really see a use for it.


Not looking for a reason to be outraged. I've been looking forward to this game for months.

It's hypocrisy because if Eagle-Gryphon was so concerned with the FLGS retailers why are they running a Kickstarter campaign?

Yes, it's only ONE promo card but it sets a poor precedent. You're saying "It's OK to exclude me from something and charge me for it later."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really struggle to understand this "is just one card, don't be upset" argument.

I wonder if they would feel the same if the they were to buy something and the seller removed one item from that something, and sold the very same thing to someone else with that item included.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
I really struggle to understand this "is just one card, don't be upset" argument.

I wonder if they would feel the same if the they were to buy something and the seller removed one item from that something, and sold the very same thing to someone else with that item included.


Yes. YES! YES!!!

My gods. If EG was offering "Free Promo card only to continental United States backers" people would be losing their minds!

Offering something to one set of backers, regardless if they back the project in the first 10 minutes or the last ten minutes, sets a horrible precedent.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like to
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So that I can play netrunner on the box art of on mars? Nah.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
NingaubleOTSE wrote:
It's hypocrisy because if Eagle-Gryphon was so concerned with the FLGS retailers why are they running a Kickstarter campaign?


Video game publishers have offered store specific promos for years now, so in terms of the list of questionable business and marketing practices by EGG, this ranks pretty low to me. However, I do take issue with comments that are making this to be some grand gesture to the FLGS, do people seriously think that a 1 card time limited exclusive in any way can make up for thousands of lost sales to the Kickstarter? And exactly how does this promo boosts sale? It’s not as if people would double dip on the game just to get that card, so the only thing I can come up with is it offers a small incentive for a late comer to buy On Mars from a retailer that has the promo than one that do not, and that only lasts until their initial stock runs out.

I personally am not going to lose sleep over this, but let’s not kid ourselves and give EGG credit for a half bake idea that neither serves their backers nor the retailers in any real meaningful way.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.