Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

On Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Neoprene mat. Are you getting it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
I really struggle to understand this "is just one card, don't be upset" argument.

I wonder if they would feel the same if the they were to buy something and the seller removed one item from that something, and sold the very same thing to someone else with that item included.

Not the same. They’re not removing anything. Retail copies get something extra. There’s a difference and hopefully this distinction helps people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Goldman
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also worth pointing out that they say the card is very powerful, on the verge of being over powered, so it might not even be a good inclusion anyway. You can see it pretty clearly in the preview - unless I'm misunderstanding it lets you build or upgrade as an executive action? So it's like having Metal Deposit, Wind Turbines, Moisture Vaporator, Hydroponic Farm, Concentrator, Gymnasium, and Construction Yard (and possibly a bit of Builder Drone AI600) all in a single card, with the tradeoff being you can't spend workers to make the action stronger?

I really don't know how to evaluate it, maybe it's even placeholder art, but if they're saying it's very powerful/on the verge of OP and it sure looks that way to me... I don't feel like increasing the card total from 24 to 25 to add a potentially game warping ability is something I even want to do.

I understand it's the principle of the matter, but what if the promo card's ability was to give you 20 OP when you activated it? Or it removed an opponent's scientist from play, or destroyed an opponent's upgrade, or something else similar? Some abilities make games worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lee
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not adding the mat or anything else that doesn't fit into the box.

Imagine if the play mat is a free bonus just for the retailers. I think that may swing some backers here rather than a card though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Fielding
msg tools
mbmb
NingaubleOTSE wrote:

Not looking for a reason to be outraged. I've been looking forward to this game for months.

It's hypocrisy because if Eagle-Gryphon was so concerned with the FLGS retailers why are they running a Kickstarter campaign?

Yes, it's only ONE promo card but it sets a poor precedent. You're saying "It's OK to exclude me from something and charge me for it later."

Have Eagle Griffon explicitly said that the promo card option is there to benefit the FLGS?

I see it as a way of encouraging FLGS to preorder like everyone else. That way EG can keep their costs down and make sure that shipping is handled efficiently. Which I will always support.

*edit - On the topic of the mat, is it only available for the people that have backed the project on kickstarter? I'm still waiting for the Chinese version to become available before I put my money down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Goldman
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohanesYamakawa wrote:

Have Eagle Griffon explicitly said that the promo card option is there to benefit the FLGS?

Yes, they have. Read what they say here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglegryphon/on-mars-by...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator - Personal attack
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said the mat adds nothing to the game and doesn’t seem a good fit with any other game, so I won’t be getting it.

I’ll get the promo later, as it will be included FREE in the forthcoming expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the mat.

I’ve been considering getting it. 15 is a decent price for a mat (usually they’re 20) and I like playing my card games with mats that represent things I really like. This would be a fun one to bust out at a future Keyforge meetup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Hallfin
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a 1300 dollar gaming surface called my dining table. I wouldnt say no to a free one, but I've never gotten a mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat FR
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
There’s a difference and hopefully this distinction helps people.

Not particularly. The end result is the same: One is paying an awfully large amount of money for something which is not the complete, ultimate, edition. Not because it couldn't be but because the company asking for your money and support has decided it won't be.

Either way, silly or not, it was enough to make me pull my pledge. I still have two EGG/Lacerda games on a truck coming toward me that will need playing and, if I can't live without this one, well hey, it is good to know I'll be able to get it at my FLGS.

When I was backing I wasn't planning on getting the mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Bronson
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put in enough in my pledge for the mat but then later found out that it provides no game play value. So I reduced my pledge.

And now the promo issue...

I am about ready to pull my pledge entirely as I read the campaign several times to make sure that the promo was included. They are claiming they haven't changed the wording on the campaign but they definitely have. I am on the same side as everyone else who is feeling like they are doing a bait and switch on us. The promo should be included in the campaign for the backers. The FLGS can offer them in-store for people who didn't back the project for sales. I haven't canceled my pledge yet but I think I am going to... also because they keep claiming that the wording hasn't been changed. I wouldn't have assumed I was getting it with the way it is worded now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E F
msg tools
As long as the mat isn't the game board I will pass on it. The promo situation shouldn't be that big of a deal, however I still wasn't excited about not receiving it unless I back another of their games. If the card or cards were an alternative art version of cards in the base game, I wouldn't care even if I could never get them if that were the case. I still don't believe retailers should get something the backers do not, as we are both
helping fund this game. In my opinion, if the current promo really needs to be 60 days exclusive then mail us the promo after 60 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
You don’t want that card that much. It replaces the Radar blueprint. Its not better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
You don’t want that card that much. It replaces the Radar blueprint. Its not better.

I appreciate the incite, Vital.

You should know, however, that the following was given out as information in update #6.

"A big reason this card is a promo instead of being included in the game is its very strong (and possibly overpowered ability)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
NingaubleOTSE wrote:
newrev wrote:

You should know, however, that the following was given out as information in update #6.

"A big reason this card is a promo instead of being included in the game is its very strong (and possibly overpowered ability)."

So you want a overpowered card in your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
NingaubleOTSE wrote:
newrev wrote:

So you want a overpowered card in your game?

I didn't say that I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E F
msg tools
newrev wrote:
This actually does make me feel much better about the promo, I didnt know it replaced one of the really good blueprints. Thank you for commenting Mr Lacerda, I really appreciate it when I see designers like you and David Turczi talk to us about your games in the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If it's not important, why offer it at all, and why make obtaining it so convoluted (timed exclusive, then cost money, then offer it as a part of the expansion)? The promo was advertised as something you shouldn't miss out, then we're told it's not really that big of a deal, a lot of mixed messages, just really weird decisions on a poorly thought out idea. I wonder if people would even want to see more of similar store exclusives in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Leigh
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arbok26 wrote:
Just my two cents, but I don’t get why people are upset about a promo card. They said you can get it on their website after the exclusivity period for those that really want to have it.

But it’s just one card out of literally hundreds in the box.

Perhaps I just have to realise that I live in the age where people are completionists and got to complete all the achievements in a video game or something to that effect.

It's like "pics or it didn't happen," only "BGG post declaring I shan't purchase this game, good sir" or it didn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matfr wrote:
Not particularly. The end result is the same: One is paying an awfully large amount of money for something which is not the complete, ultimate, edition.

If a promo is needed to consider a game as 'complete', the publishers have seriously dropped the ball at some point and I don't think EGG fall in to this category in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalasta wrote:
If it's not important, why offer it at all, and why make obtaining it so convoluted (timed exclusive, then cost money, then offer it as a part of the expansion)? The promo was advertised as something you shouldn't miss out, then we're told it's not really that big of a deal, a lot of mixed messages, just really weird decisions on a poorly thought out idea. I wonder if people would even want to see more of similar store exclusives in the future

Is it really that convoluted though? You can get it from a retailer, wait 60 days and get it from EGG, get it free in a future expansion or track EGG down at events to get it. I don’t really see that as convoluted; I see it as ample opportunity to get the promo in the future. It’s really not that difficult.

Promos for games are an extremely common occurrence in this hobby. They’re often much more difficult to obtain. That’s probably not any consolation for those disappointed enough about this one card to pull their pledge though, but I think this has been blown way out of proportion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator - Personal attack
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.