4 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Colony ship rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Lundqvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
”An optional power (such as a Colony Ship) must be used if it is needed to place a development or world which a player has selected and then revealed.”

I dont understand. The card text says ”may” but the rulebook ”must”? Help <3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have revealed a world during the settle phase, you must play it if you can. If Colony Ship enables you to play the world, and you can’t or don’t want to pay for it, you cannot decline to use Colony Ship (this assumes it’s not a military world.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colony Ship is optional ("may" on the card) in that you do not need to use it if you can afford to pay for the selected world with cards from your hand.

In that case, you may choose whether to pay with cards or discard Colony Ship.

If you have a world that you cannot afford (not enough other cards in hand), you can, of course, simply not select it in the Settle phase.

But, if you select such a world, and you cannot pay for it with cards in hand, then you must discard Colony Ship to pay for the world.

(None of this applies to Alien worlds or military worlds, for which Colony Ship does not apply.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think that this is simply saying that if you choose to reveal the card you are building (e.g., a non-Alien world) and you cannot pay for it in any other way you must use the Colony Ship power to complete the build.

If you choose not to reveal a card or if you have an alternate way of paying for the build, then you may select to not discard the Colony Ship and to pay for the World by the alternate method.

In most cases, if I play Colony Ship it is with an eye to using it to place something better, but at or near Game end it might make sense to retain the card in your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.