A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Core Set, Stand Alone, Worth It? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse N
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Sorry I just saw this card game second edition at a great price and was wondering if the game is fun as a stand alone. I don't really want to accumulate a lot of different sets but I do really enjoy GOT. Is the main set that comes in the box a fun game on it's own? Also I don't have much experience in CCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jessfrogger88 wrote:
Sorry I just saw this card game second edition at a great price and was wondering if the game is fun as a stand alone. I don't really want to accumulate a lot of different sets but I do really enjoy GOT. Is the main set that comes in the box a fun game on it's own? Also I don't have much experience in CCGs.

I would say yes, the game that you get in the core set is a good game, you don't need to collect expansions to make it fun.
BUT I would also say that a single core set only contains enough cards for a 'demo version ' of the game, so I would recommend that even a casual player needs to buy 2 core sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't reccomend it if you only want to get 1 core set. There are too many cards you will only have one copy of, and it makes games ready swingy and depending on if a player draws their good characters or the right answer. The gameplay is significantly improved with a second core set, that would give you some flexibility in really making decks and enjoying some of the game's depth. And it is a very good game.

If you really want a good gaming experience from a single box you will be better served by other options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If its consolation, the contents of two core sets will fit in a single core set box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, if it's a great price, then yeah, I think it's worth it to get one core.

Then again, if it's a great price, that's all the more reason to buy an extra copy or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Along these same lines, I'd love to put together a standalone box set similar to the Summoner Wars box, where inside are pre-built factions/decks ready to go. I know they don't sell this for Game of Thrones, but is there anyone who has put together purchasable prebuilt decks? I know there are websites where people post lists for decks, but I have zero interest in tracking down, purchasing the cards, and building decks myself, as that stage of my life passed long ago.

My ideal scenario is to be able to purchase maybe 20 different decks across all Houses that are relatively balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
VicDigital wrote:
is there anyone who has put together purchasable prebuilt decks?

Yeah, FFG has.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/2/call-the...

Also:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/24/lion-an...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/5/fire-and...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/20/taste-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:

Thanks. This is a good start, I'm especially interested in decks built using expansions and alternate takes on each house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Also on a note I live in Oklahoma and was at Barnes and noble today they had the cores in a clearance bin for 1/2 off. I had no intention of buying this game but that pushed me to it lol. May be worth checking out if you have a B&N nearby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.