Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Berg
United States
Munroe Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Restoration Games is likely unable to get Bob Pepper's artwork for this game (https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/restoratio...), I'm guessing that they may get Chelsea Harper again, since they had her do the artwork for Indulgence.

I have nothing against her art, in fact I think it's beautiful. However, does anyone else think that Matthew Bishop's work on The Shipwreck Arcana is somehow sorta kinda reminiscent of Bob Pepper? It's very clean and abstract in a hauntingly beautiful way.

I would love to see what he could do with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It won’t be Bob or Chelsea. We’ll announce the lead artist soon, but we’re extremely excited about their style. It’s unlike anything we’ve seen in traditional games — much like Bob’s was back in his day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i am hoping it will be steve from the secret cabal..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it anyone who's illustrated games before or are they venturing into something new so therefore we might get something unique in that respect?

One reason I say that is the original Dark Tower illustrator Bob Pepper "did the art for only two games in his career, and never ventured further into the fantasy universe other than a few novels in the very early 80s." https://www.blackgate.com/2011/10/12/art-of-the-genre-dark-t...

To me they almost look like something you'd see on stained glass which is appropriate for the original backlit tower.

I'm going to have to break it out. It's on a baker's rack behind me. (you do have to run it once in a while so the 3 volt motor gear doesn't seize)

So not out of their comfort zone but just a fresh set of eyes excited to be doing artwork outside of whom and/or why they usually produce art and/or illustrations for. Or is it an artist whose not specifically commercial illustrator? Although they would think of it as commissioned work perhaps beneath them lol

I've worked with professional illustrators as a graphic designer so I know they have reps and some have different styles to the point they may they go by different names that reinforce that particular style.

The types of illustration range from corporate or B-2-B business-to-business print work and annual shareholder reports etc to mass market retail product packaging.

Some can adapt to any style. They aren't locked into one.

A good friend does it all for print work, retail, corporate and portraits and has a different name his rep can use for a specific editorial style.

Then there's illustrators who make big money on the same style over and over and that's what art directors are buying. Especially editorial illustrators.

Illustrators and reps can negotiate prices after they're quoted which is interesting because designers would never get away with that and photographers don't operate that way either.

A lot of illustrators use computer software these days and wacom tablets but some like my older friend still do it the old fashion way with pens, ink, acrylics, oil, watercolor with different brushes and colored pencils on paper, canvass, wood, art boards anything you can think of.

Those are actually general questions as how your chosen illustrator or artist approaches the work. That would be interesting to know without saying their name.

sauron

(It's funny how Vul-Kar and Dark Tower resemble the default BGG Sauron emoticon lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
i am hoping it will be steve from the secret cabal..

laugh

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not believe the artist has worked in tabletop games previously. (They aren't listed in the BGG database in any case.) They are a young, up-and-coming artist who has a dark and dreamlike quality atypical of traditional fantasy illustration. We'll have more to say once we make the announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx! sounds good. It answers my question well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinDJacobson wrote:
I do not believe the artist has worked in tabletop games previously. (They aren't listed in the BGG database in any case.) They are a young, up-and-coming artist who has a dark and dreamlike quality atypical of traditional fantasy illustration. We'll have more to say once we make the announcement.

So this is confirmation of Steve, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halborn wrote:
JustinDJacobson wrote:

So this is confirmation of Steve, right?

It's not not confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mason
msg tools
JustinDJacobson wrote:

So there will be an announcement...right?

Soonish, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soonish, yes. Unsurprisingly, we want to pair the announcement with some actual art. And we’re only in the concept stage right now, developing the look and feel of the setting, characters, architecture, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.