Pearson Giaume
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Each new Dungeons and Dragons board game release looks great with the minis and tiles but I'm wondering if there is any significant change in gameplay from the original. Considering they were based on 4th edition rules and we are deep into 5th edition now I had hoped the gameplay might be updated to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neonops wrote:
Considering they were based on 4th edition rules and we are deep into 5th edition now I had hoped the gameplay might be updated to.
What are the changes from 4 to 5 D&D that you would expect to see in this ultra-simplified board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several changes since Ravenloft so I'm probably going to miss a few...

1. New "advantage" "disadvantage" "stunned" and "weakened" conditions.

2. Ally cards can be summoned at certain circumstances to assist either you or the monsters.

3. Some monsters have unique abilities that can change the rules in subtle ways.

5. Also some can "level up" into more powerful variants of the same enemy during the course of a campaign.

6. Some villains use a spell deck that lets them cast spells at you at random.

7. You can now level up to level 4, and in the process acquire special expert powers.

8. There are a number of differences to the tiles you draw, which I'll list below.
8a. There are now two types of tiles, which affect the monster/encounter ratio.
8b. There is now a variable number of monsters on each tile ranging from none up to four.
8c. There are special "trap" tokens that if you step on (or fail to disarm) can do damage or give you a random effect from the trap deck.
8d. Some tiles have treasure chests you can open to get loot.
8e. Some tiles give special effects to things on the tile (e.g. one prevents you from having to draw an encounter if you end your turn on it)

9. The adventures can now be played as a campaign!
9a. Gold is now a thing, and it can either be used to level up or to purchase special upgrades that can be used once per adventure.
9b. Treasure can now be sold or given to another teammate.
9c. You unlock more treasure rewards the more adventures you complete, and unlock more treasures (or earn more gold) whenever you complete an adventure without using a healing surge.
9d. The more powerful monsters and encounters don't show up until later on in the campaign where they get periodically added to their respective decks to scale up the difficulty.

10. New bane and boon cards, but I've haven't actually played the game yet so I'm not exactly sure how they work.

11. New "complex traps" tokens. (same applies here)

12. A minor change but rolling a natural 20 now inflicts an extra damage instead of causing you to level up.

13. You now longer get exactly three copies of every monster, the numbers of each now seem to range from 1 to 6.

... and that's all I can think of for now! I'm sure someone will let me know if I missed anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pearson Giaume
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
EverywhereGames wrote:
neonops wrote:
Considering they were based on 4th edition rules and we are deep into 5th edition now I had hoped the gameplay might be updated to.
What are the changes from 4 to 5 D&D that you would expect to see in this ultra-simplified board game?

Exactly that, something a little less video gamey/ultra-simplified and a bit more of a fleshed out rpg campaign style board game like Gloomhaven or Decent. Something to make me want to buy this one rather than the previous 5 versions of the same exact game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pearson Giaume
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you for this! Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played these two in the series. While the differences noted above are true, overall those are minor compared to the fact that these are very simple games (not meant as a knock) and play very similarly. They felt by and large the same to me.

Waterdeep has a campaign; Ravenloft doesn’t. That’s the biggest difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Lee
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
neonops wrote:
Exactly that, something a little less video gamey/ultra-simplified and a bit more of a fleshed out rpg campaign style board game like Gloomhaven or Decent. Something to make me want to buy this one rather than the previous 5 versions of the same exact game.

If you want something like GH, you're gonna have a bad time. OK, maybe not necessarily a "bad time", but GH pretty much stands alone when it comes to "RPG campaign style board games". If you want that much depth, GH, and possibly only GH, is the game you want.

The improvements/changes listed by Robin are pretty much it. IMO the last couple games play a lot nicer than the first ones, though each game brought something to the series that I really like. This is still the same game system, however. Don't expect DMM to suddenly feel like the D2e series or GH more than it does CR. For the record, I love both this system and the D2e system (never had a chance to play original Descent, unfortunately), and some day when I have time to play a massive campaign (sad but hearty LOL at the thought that that will ever happen) I really want to get into GH, as well. I feel like each system fills a different niche. I happen to enjoy each niche, but you may find that you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.