Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JUAN MANUEL RODRIGUEZ GARCIA
Spain
UTEBO - ZARAGOZA
ESPAÑA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The german player has played OTTO and OSTLAND...

Reviewing rule 16.2.2, I find what seems to me an inconsistency in the rules (also in the original English version) and that is not corrected in the official errata of 2014.
The clarification in step 4 refers to the "German Dependents created in step 2", but: In step 2, minor Axis countries are created, not dependent.
In step 3, dependents are created.
In step 8 all the allied units that are in the German dependents created in step 3 are interned.
In conclusion: Can the units of the Axis always be freely in the dependents?
All types of units, multi-step and one-step?
Does the clarification refer to the minor Axis countries created in step 2?
If the answer to 2 is Yes, does this constitute an exception to rule 16.1.2? or is it still affecting the multistep units in those recreated countries?

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Duce
Spain
Zaragoza
Aragón
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello.
I am the rival of frenetico (Juan Manuel).
I upload an image of the state of the game (after Operation Otto) to contextualize the question we ask you.
Excuse my English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the only error is the clarification in step 4 should read for step

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juno44 wrote:

I think the only error is the clarification in step 4 should read for step

I agree, especially as the problem is repeated in step 8, but the reference is correct (to step 3) in step 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Prowell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes, the clarification in Step 4 should refer to step 3.

Juan asks: "In conclusion: Can the units of the Axis always be freely in the dependents? All types of units, multi-step and one-step?" The answer is technically "for now." Option Card Conditional Events apply after Permanent Conditional Events, so Axis Minor units will be okay in these new German Dependents the turn Ostland is imposed.

BUT DURING THE ALLIED TURN, non-Exp Axis Minor units in German Dependents would be Interned per 16.3.8 and 16.7. This suggests I should amend Step 8 of the Ostland sequence to say intern all Allied AND AXIS NON-EXP MINORS in German Dependents. That would be easier and cleaner to understand.

Looking at the image Carlos posted, the Axis faction is gonna be in for a big headache if he imposes Ostland now. Every Polish unit on the map is going to be interned, along with all German units in Russia (outside Byelorussia, Ukraine and Donbass). That's a lot of multi-steps to breakdown and I suspect the Axis player will lose some steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Prowell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Actually -- looking closer at the map Carlos provided, the situation is even worse for the Axis player if he imposes Ostland at this time.

Because Minsk and Kiev do not contain supplied GERMAN units (required in Step 3 of 16.2.2), then Byelorussia and Ukraine would not be returned to Russia and NOT become German Dependents. All Germany would get from the Ostland settlement would be Donbass!

Fortunately for the Axis, the Ostland Conditional Event is one the Axis faction "may" apply. I'd suggest Juan wait, pull back so as to not give up so much, and impose Ostland next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.