Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The Gallerist» Forums » General

Subject: From everything i've been able to read and watch regarding this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it seems like it's a very good game, a harder than normal game (difficulty level)...but before tracking a copy down i'm actually more interested in if it's fun??

are you having fun while playing, or is it more just trying to beat the game/win the game/solve the game?

if i do purchase it it would normally be a 2p game, with maybe 3 sometimes...thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream can be a dream come true
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FRom everything i've been able to read and watch regarding this game...
I personally think it is an incredibly fun game. It takes a bit to get the swing of how it works, but once you have it, it's a blast! I feel like most of Vital's games are like that, honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Neuls
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Incredibly fun.
A masterpiece of design, theme, and integration of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meaty, thinky games are fun for me so this is fun in my opinion. Only played it two player and I enjoyed it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I really enjoy the game and prefer it at 2p over 4p. As a reference, we tend to like heavier euro games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
it seems like it's a very good game, a harder than normal game (difficulty level)...but before tracking a copy down i'm actually more interested in if it's fun??

are you having fun while playing, or is it more just trying to beat the game/win the game/solve the game?

if i do purchase it it would normally be a 2p game, with maybe 3 sometimes...thanks!

If you are interested in the art world, this is a very good game that is the perhaps the best overall game thematically about the art world. I think it is very fun- because I love evaluating art and markets and talking up my artists and artworks.

If you are buying it just for the game, you will not be disappointed, but I would recommend going with a different game with a theme that gets you really excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first few plays were more concerned with the game than my opponents. It was fun learning the systems. Now I'm more familiar with the game and can play more against my opponents and it's even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely a heavy Euro (so yes, "harder" than "normal"). It's also quite fun. My group has played several times and always enjoyed it. However, our last play we all seemed to get over the learning curve and really started getting into the flow of the game. We had a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cyril nicolas
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Personally, no, I won't say that the game is fun. Very interesting, engaging and excellent. But not fun. Obviously I depend on the definition of fun. For me, it's for example when there are reversals or a few unforeseen events that disrupt well-oiled strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Habelitz
Germany
Zweibrücken
Reinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gierlfriend and I usually play at 2p, of course sometimes other player counts, and we both love the game - I put it at the 4th spot of my Top 10 of all time, right behind Antiquity, Food Chain Magnate and Arkwright - yes I like pretty heavy euros.

Vitals games are always super simple at the core in The Gallerist you put your worker on 1 of 4 spots and choose 1 of 2 actions - supersimple. The actions itself are not complicated too and the playaid is a great guidance, help you through your first turns.

The complexity is to max out your turns. E.g. you need an assistant:
option 1: Buy some, look which bonuses you can acquire by buying 1 or more
option 2: Get a scoring tile and cover the assistant bonus space, get infuence by doing this
option 3: Get a contract with a action spot for an assistant, cover acontract with which you already sold some art, get an assistant back, place it with your executive action on the action space and acquire another assistant, or just take the assistant back like I descrribed above

So - yes it is a puzzle, but it's a great feeling playing this game it's pure fun every time you play and if you're not into hevy euros this is a great game to start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn’t technically call it a puzzle, because it can not be “solved”, but I fully get and agree with what you said. There are many ways to achieve your goals in The Gallerist and to me some of the fun is figuring out the best way to do something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Incredibly fun for me too. I always love games like this that have such varied avenues of play. I was in fact just discussing with a friend that my play style in these types of games is always aimed at a particular thing that I would like to explore. For example the latest play I tried creating celebrities and having claim of their masterpieces. This didn't quite work out in the end but I had fun trying to get this to work, and I think you can get it to work.

In short if you like challenges and pulling lots of levers to see what they do then games like this are perfect for that. In fact any Lacerda game is perfect for this, hence my passion and love for his designs.

Only played at 3 player thus far for note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To everybody calling it a masterpiece, how would you compare it to Vital's other titles?

My experience with Lacerda games (in order of exposure):

1. Vinhos Deluxe Edition: instantly fell in love. A bit dry, but wonderfully thinky and evocative simulation. I went so far as to track down a selection of wine from the various regions to drink while playing our first session.

2. Lisboa. This one was difficult for me: NOBODY liked it, and I found the city building side of things a bit drab (along with the graphic design). The rules were difficult to explain, took too long, yet I did enjoy the card play (ZhanGuo did it first, though, and I purchased Zhangou just before Lisboa). I'd never sell my copy as I consider it a work of art and a labor of love, but it'll forever be a solo game if it gets played at all.

3. CO2: Second Chance. Initial play of both the cooperative and competitive modes occurred only this last weekend. Fun, but still didn't top Vinhos. Both modes had issues, but the cooperative was my favorite for the player count (2 in all of these). Felt like a better puzzle in the cooperative, what with the mandatory goals (both UN cards and goal tiles), where the competitive felt less focused with two.

4. Escape Plan: still in shrink wrap.

I loath cars, so Kanban is likely out unless life sells me on it in the future... which leaves the Gallerist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my own length list of opinions on Lacerda games. In short, the Gallerist is a brilliant game I love but it's also a bit longer and heavier than games like Vinhos and Escape Plan so I don't pull it out as often as I would like.

1. Vinhos Deluxe Edition: one of my favorite games of all time. I remember waiting for the original version to be released in NA, which took forever. I eventually sold it to upgrade to the Deluxe Edition on KS. I love this game because it is fairly easy to teach people, but has lots of depth and options of a heavier title. Best of all it can typically be played in 2 hours or less. A heavy game that is also easy to get to the table makes it a win for me. Plus I happen to really like the theme which others seem to find dry.

2. Lisboa: Only Lacerda title I don't own. I honestly think it's his best game, however, it is also his heaviest and most complex rules-wise PLUS it's a longer game. I unfortunately passed it over because I'd rarely get a chance to play it. Really loved my one play though.

3. CO2: I bought this one long after it was released as there was a period of time it seemed impossible to find. I still have the original version and didn't get Second Chance because I still really love the watercolor art-style of the original. I haven't played this one in a while but have played it a fair bit in the past. My wife and I really love this as a 2p game. I love it because it's relatively simple rules-wise, but everything is so tightly weaved together that the heaviness comes from those interlocking needs/requirements/mechanisms. Plus the mix of competitive and cooperation I think works really well. Great game.

4. Kanban: Unfortunately, this is the Lacerda title I play the least due to how noisy the game looks visually and the tons of tiny bits that make for long set-up. That being said, when I do bring it to the table, I'm always reminded how great it is and why I still have it in my collection. This game is heavier than CO2 but still has that feeling that your one action affects everything which affects everything. I also like the tons of different ways to get seats plus scoring opportunities throughout the game. This is a very fun and rewarding game about production efficiency that you don't have to really care about cars to enjoy.

5. The Gallerist: This is my second favorite Lacerda title I think. The game has the 1 action with many consequences I love in all his games, gorgeous artwork and style, plus it's fairly easy to teach. The only reason I play it less than CO2 is I find it a bit on the long side. I love the bumping, love the theme and how well it is implemented into a Euro game. Everything about this game is solid and probably the best example I like to bring out to show why I love Lacerda games as a whole.

4. Escape Plan: While my current top two Lacerda titles are Vinhos and Gallerist, I think Escape Plan is very rapidly shooting to the top of the pile. I've already played it 7 times since I got my copy a couple weeks ago which for me is a LOT of play...especially for a Lacerda game. This is definitely his lightest game but the unique theme and how he once again manages to brilliantly combine theme with a Euro playstyle really win me over. Still lots of great decisions to make, lots of great moments and surprises can happen, the race to escape at the end, plus once again a beautiful production and art style.

The game is easy to teach, easy to play, and can be played quite quickly which I think makes it his most accessible and appealing game so far. Also set up is quite quick and easy as well. All this means EP is the easiest game for me to get to the table and introduce to new players who may be turned off by heavier games. Don't let the "simplicity" of it fool you. Every game I'm really wracking my brain over how to best maximize my money and avoid cops while also managing notoriety, items/contacts and planning to get out before cash-in-hand gets too tight. The game is very tense and whenever I'm done a game I can't wait to sit down and play again because you can never really do everything you want in any given game. There is always compromises to make, but they usually are not bad compromises in most cases. Just not as great as you may like.

I really love this one and I feel it will become one of my favorite games of all time. For my own tastes and enjoyment of games I ask what are they trying to accomplish, do they succeed, what do I want to get out of this game and does it provide that experience. If a game connects on all those levels, it's a winner for me. My favorite game of all time is Dead of Winter because I feel that one knocked it out of the park regarding these categories. I so far think Escape Plan knocks it out of the park as well in terms of intent, delivery, and exceeding my expectations.

Now I just have to wait until October to see where On Mars fits in all of this. My initial impression is it will be another beautiful looking, thematic, heavy Euro (some are saying Lisboa heavy)...but likely a bit on the long side for my own purposes. Can't wait for it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:

2. Lisboa: Only Lacerda title I don't own. I honestly think it's his best game, however, it is also his heaviest and most complex rules-wise PLUS it's a longer game. I unfortunately passed it over because I'd rarely get a chance to play it. Really loved my one play though.

Just to offer a counterpoint, Lisboa IS a work of art, but I honestly found it to be a horrible game. Part of it is the somewhat bland, though stylistically coherent and beautiful, board layout - it doesn't really evoke anything concrete like his other titles do.

The biggest issue is the subject matter, however, as MANY of the mechanisms in the game lack a sense of thematic coherence due to how oblique the subject is for many gamers. For example, There are definite historical reasons for why the Church and King had antipathies, and this relates to some of the mechanisms like gaining influence if you abandon church tiles during the Church scoring phase. However, without the historical background, much of this feels arbitrary and mechanical.

The same criticisms could be said for all his games, honestly, but most have a frame of reference for the theme, whether that's running a wine business, or acting out the end game of Reservoir Dogs. Not so much for this obscure nugget of Portuguese history.

I never plan to sell my copy, so there is that. However, I'm also not likely to find people to play my copy with any time soon (and everybody I've introduced it to found it a slog).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.