5 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Syster Mary vs Carolyn Fern rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kreczdos Isaac
msg tools
Hello everyone !

I make again a new survey between you all to make a choice and settle an argument between my players.

Who's the best investigator between Mary and Carolyn?

They began with fairly similar stats (22324 vs 23224) and have a similar effect (discarding Madness conditions). But those similarities make them more difficult to discern.

Sister Mary is great in the sense that she began with Holy Water, that could make her Blessed at the beginning (and thanks to her passive, she can keep it longer... except when you roll a 1 at the first reckoning (curse you, dice!)). Plus her Action allow investigators on any space to discard madness conditions. But apart from that she cannot do lot. 3 in Obs make her suitable but no more for Research encounter (Blessed aside, ofc) but she's not a specific clue gatherer nor a Gate closer.

Carolyn, on the other hand, is more versatile. Yes, she can only discard Madness from investigators on her own space. But she can also make them Rest without taking them any action and, bonus, they recover 2 sanity instead of 1. One Madness discarded plus 2 Sanity is great. Plus, thanks to her Dream Diary, she cover the board with clues easily and she fairly fitted to Other World encounters (she has basically the same Lore/Will stats as Norman, Patrice, Akachi or Mateo, four other Other World focus investigators). Plus, beginning at Rome, she can easily be Blessed (like Mary, then) or enhance her Will, making her an even better gate-closer. The Death XIII is a bonus that can save a little time from turn to turn.

We will use Mary/Carolyn in a large game (7/8 investigators) if it can help some of you to help us make a decision. We think that Mary is more useful in a low investigators game (she doesn't need to be on the same space so investigators can travel, and she can be useful on her own) while Carolyn can shine in a high investigators game (more chance to be on a same space as another one, and more portals to close).

So, I'm asking you to help us thinking about the pro and con between those two investigatress in a 8 investigators game. I know every one will have its one opinion, but it's what we seek: different opinions to enlarge our owns.

Thank you very much !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an easy decision - pick randomly and enjoy whatever you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McKay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sister Mary definitely has the higher winning % for me, although I've never played a game with a player count above four. I feel Carolyn's recover two sanity is nerfed a little with the introduction of resources. A blessed and powered-up Sister Mary rampaging around the board with the flamethrower was one of my most memorable games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game with Sister Mary she had bad luck losing her damned Blessing. She camped out at Rome a lot to keep getting it back. OTOH, in a game with a lot of investigators, her active ability becomes more useful since it works with investigators on any space.

Overall I like Carolyn better but if Sister Mary can keep her damned Blessing then she is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Rasmussen
msg tools
mbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
... can keep her damned Blessing then she ...

Only in Eldritch Horror can a blessing be damned...

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.