Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Combat section under Fleeing, the rules say that the attacker may attempt to flee the combat.
In the Victory section of the rules where it describes how to get HP during the game, it says "Players conquering a territory with an inhabited area gain 1 HP. Conquest means the players remain with at least 1 army after their opponent’s army has been destroyed, has fled, or has surrendered."
This seems to imply that defenders can flee as well (if they saved an MP or two) and I really don't see why not.

All the play aids I've read seem to stick to the rule that only attackers can choose to flee.

Any thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dennis
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mb
"The attacker can choose to flee a battle, but has to declare this before the dice rolls. Then, the player’s army fights using half its normal attack value (rounded up, calculate it after any modi- fication), while the casualty value gets increased by the same amount as the movement points spent fleeing away. After this, the army can move normally (obviously, it needs sufficient MPs to move)."

- This is from the rulebook on page 20.

The way this is worded certainly implies that only the attacker can choose to flee. However, I completely agree with you regarding the wording relating to the conquest of territories, it suggests that an attacked army can have fled, relinquishing an inhabited area to the conqueror. we've always played that only the attacker can choose to flee, since the attacker can set aside MP's to allow for this.

I also agree that it's unsatisfactory for the option to flee to be available to one side only.

I think the whole rules surrounding MP's, unit exhaustion and Stop Tokens are hopelessly confused.

If both attacker and defender had the option to flee, the following scenarios could be true:

Player A,B and C are taking their turns in the combat phase in that order.

Player B attacks an army belonging to player A. Player A's army has moved already and has a stop token. So, player A can't choose to flee (because, under the rules for full movement, when you choose to stop moving, you get a stop token), but player B can choose to flee (if he keeps some MP's in reserve).

Player B's army attacks an army belonging to player C. Player C's army hasn't moved yet. So player B and C both have the option to flee, but if player C flees then does the army have a stop token put on it? Or is that movement is deducted from its allownace next turn?

The problem with the whole issue for me lies here:

"Full movement: units move until all their Movement Points (MPs) are exhausted. MPs can be exhausted for 3 reasons: because the unit(s) used all MPs available, because the player chose to stop there (thus exhausting the MPs) for a strategic reason, or because the units made contact with an opponent and battle ensues.
Note: a player can add units or remove units to/from the moving group during the itinerary. Added units must be found in a crossed territory and must have MP available to move. Removed units remain exhausted in the territory where they are dropped."

- This is the definition of a full movement. (page 14)

So, by this definition, the attacking group exhausts all of it's MP's when it makes contact with an opponent and battle ensues? So, how are there any MP's left with which to flee?

I remember a debate about this on here months ago, the consensus being that attackers with remaining MP's can choose to retreat. Just make sure you keep a note of how many MP's you have. That's what went on the play aid. But it's unsatisfactory to say the least.

I've said on here many times that Giochix need to provide an updated version of the GX rules. They are very poorly executed, and do no justice to the good ideas behind them. In particular, the rules governing movement of units on the map - pretty important for a 'dudes on a map game"!

Anyone from GX want to add to this?

Nicola or Michele?

There hasn't been anything (I'm aware of) posted regarding a comprehensive errata of the GX rules or further development of the prototype rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm that only attacker can flee.

A rule update will be released as soon as possible, but I will require time as it will be linked to the next game development. As soon I will have news I will inform you all.

ciao!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dennis
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Michele, thanks for your response to this. Look forward to future developments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.