Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,
I am one of the recent fans of this game thanks to the cheap base game price.

And, last week, I won an auction for the base game plus ALL of the expansions (I wanted to get Unbreakable Bonds, the rest was just a bonus, and I will soon be selling the extra base game I have now).

And now, my first world problem:
I now have 6 new heroes, 4 new scenarios, 60 more asset cards and discs, 60 more skill cards, 10 new twist cards, and 15 corruption cards, and of course the combat cards.

The combat cards are definite keepers for me, since I am playing solo. But, I'm hesitant to add in all those other cards and discs cuz I'm afraid it will add a lot of fiddliness to the set-up of the game.

What are your thoughts? Are any of the pieces of the expansions "must haves": the D deck of assets from Gilded Blade, or the E deck from Mountains Rise, or any of the new skill cards (from Gilded, Mountains, and Unbreakable).

I will be keeping Unbreakable Bonds, its 2 heroes, 2 scenarios, the twist cards (I think these look fun).

So, maybe a poll:
Poll
Which 2 or 3 parts of the Runebound expansions (not including Unbreakable Bonds combat cards) are best/funnest/must have for solo play?
Gilded Blade hero
Gilded Blade "D" asset deck
Gilded Blade 10 skill cards
Mountains Rise hero
Mountains Rise adventure cards
Mountains Rise "E" asset deck
Mountains Rise 10 skill cards
Fall of Dark Star hero
Fall of Dark Star scenario
Fall of Dark Start corruption cards
Caught in a Web hero
Caught in a Web scenario
Unbreakable Bonds heroes
Unbreakable Bonds scenarios
Unbreakable "F" skill deck
Unbreakable 40 skill cards
      14 answers
Poll created by Narrow Gate Games

I am just curious if any of these pieces are "must haves", or just nice to have for a little variety. I don't want to add fiddliness to set up unless they add to the game play experience.

I am interested to see what others think.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, any comments or ideas on how to make set-up less fiddly: keep 2 separate full asset decks: ABC, and DEF, etc.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Also, any comments or ideas on how to make set-up less fiddly: keep 2 separate full asset decks: ABC, and DEF, etc.

Thanks.

I always play this way: select which assets / skills to play with. Play with those assets a series of games, until I'm fed up and wanna change. So, instead of sorting out cards every time, I simply sort them out once every 5 or 10 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

Thanks.

When you get to know the characters you realise the skill deck selection and asset selection are especially importantly for solo play. For example Nanok of the Blade loves Charge tokens, which are not in the basic asset deck. So that is a consideration when building the asset deck. Also you would have a look at the different skill decks to decide which ones benefit you best for the current game.

So for me the game is more fiddly for setup, but having an appreciation for the importance of it makes it more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, I think the yellow skill cards from Gilded Blade features several effects involving other players, making it not very solo-optimal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
azrael67 wrote:
Off the top of my head, I think the yellow skill cards from Gilded Blade features several effects involving other players, making it not very solo-optimal

You are correct. 3 of the 10 refer to other heroes. And, 1 of out of the 10 blue skill cards from The Mountains Rise relates to other heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope they at least release a POD yellow skill deck to even them out so we can mix them all in together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies and votes, all.

After playing most of the expansions, I think I like the base game and don't want to mess with swapping out different decks, etc., so, I'm auctioning off a bunch of the expansions (including Unbreakable Bonds).

Small AUCTION OVER: Runebound, Unbreakable Bonds, D-Day Dice, and More
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.