Subject: Question about raiding and Box 4 (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Faucheux
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
So it appears my group screwed up the rules big time.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We somehow missed the fact that enmity on the island of Patmos applies across the board. So we didn't experience the crippling effect that happens when Ker is in the hands of the old emperor.

Then, when conquering Ker, two things happened that are apparently against the rules:

1.) The conquering player took damage, yet still took the card. We could find no rule that explicitly says the player MUST take no damage. I can see how reading "if you take no damage" to mean you can't do it if you do, but we couldn't find anything that explicitly says what to do when you do take damage. If a player must take NO damage to conquer, where is this stated?

2.) We didn't count island enmity towards the raid, because we were going by the raid rules which say you use the governor's enmity, not the island's. But I've seen other people on this forum say that the governor of Ker IS the ruler of Patmos, so the island enmity is the governor's enmity. But is that explicitly or even implicitly stated anywhere in the rules?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, enjoy!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1606358/captains-log-unoffi...

Several sources of clarity for these questions. First is the rule regarding
(Box 4)
Conquering a Colony on p. 20, which states that you must "take no damage".

In addition, there is a link in the "Box 4 Spoilers" section of the Captain's Log FAQ (above) to a designer clarification that states that
(Box 4)
when trying to conquer Ker,
(a) 6 successes are required (which matches the "take no damage", given that the difficulty is 6), and
(b) enmity and garrison on Patmos applies to the roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Faucheux
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
As to the first one, I'm not so sure the rules are that explicitly clear. They say what you do "if you take no damage", but not what does or doesn't happen if you do. But I guess I can see how that's implied.

What bothers me is the second one. Is there anything at all to indicate that this is the case without referring to materials available apart from the rules the game comes with? I mean, the rationale makes sense, but how is anyone supposed to arrive at that conclusion apart from post-hoc rules from the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll likely find more cases of rules ambiguities as you continue your campaign. Great game, but some of the rules introduces via legacy mechanics could be clearer (or even included, in some cases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.