7 Posts

Enemy Action: Ardennes» Forums » Rules

Subject: GS Dispersed and Improved Position rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Sewell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have just got this game and am attempting my first playthrough of German Solo.
I have attacked an Allied Unit which retreated 2 hexes and as I understand it it gets a dispersed marker. However the hex it ended in had an existing allied unit with an improved position. I now have the 2 units one with an improved marker and one dispersed in the same hex. I think I must have done something wrong.

Can anybody please guide me.

Many Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Bones32 wrote:
I have just got this game and am attempting my first playthrough of German Solo.
I have attacked an Allied Unit which retreated 2 hexes and as I understand it it gets a dispersed marker. However the hex it ended in had an existing allied unit with an improved position. I now have the 2 units one with an improved marker and one dispersed in the same hex. I think I must have done something wrong.

Why do you think you must have done something wrong? There is nothing inconsistent or illegal about the situation you described, as far as I understand it. E.g. nothing prevents a retreating dispersed unit from ending up in a hex with another friendly unit with an IP.

PS: I highly recommend checking out Enemy Action: Ardennes German Solo FAQ to enhance your learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sewell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think I read somewhere that if a unit goes into a space where another unit already has an IP that it also benefits from the IP.

That means the unit that just retreated into said Hex has an IP and a dispersed marker at the same time, this somehow seems wrong to me.

I will take your suggestion and look at the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Bones32 wrote:
I think I read somewhere that if a unit goes into a space where another unit already has an IP that it also benefits from the IP.

That means the unit that just retreated into said Hex has an IP and a dispersed marker at the same time, this somehow seems wrong to me.

Trust the rules, not your preconceptions.

That unit will gain the benefits of the IP (just like e.g. it gains defensive benefit of terrain which it is in), but it also continues to suffer the problems of being dispersed.

Have fun, EAA is a cool game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sewell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What you say makes sense.

I agree it seems a great game, as it is my first go I am spending a lot of time in the rulebook, but I think I will enjoy this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules are well written but the solo rules are a lot to take in at once. I did it in 2 stages. First I learned the 2 player rules and played both sides. This reduces by about half the rules to learn. After playing through a full 2 player game I had internalized all the 2 player rules. The game is actually pretty easy.

Next I learned the German solo rules. The additional bot rules are not that hard but I found them more difficult to learn than the 2 player rules. In particular I find them hard to internalize. So I am still constantly having to refer to the rules.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, I also soloed both sides of the 2-player game first to learn the core mechanisms (movement, combat, activation, etc), and only then moved on to the German solitaire game, which adds in the complication of the AI systems.

This seems good general advice for all such complicated games which have human-vs-human and human-vs-AI modes, e.g. Fire in the Lake, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) + its solo expansion, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.