11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Next big Board Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Miranda

North Carolina
msg tools
In about a month. Plan on getting a big medium Heavy Euro. I need some suggestions. Having do some research I wanted to get your thought in the community. Here’s what I’m thinking and like.
1. Must have a great solo experience.
2. Scales well to up to 4 players
3 I like worker placement and Engine builders but do not own any.
4. Nothing Crazy complex
5. Keep it under 100.00

I have 4 games in mind I am really interested in.
1. Anachrony. This game seems to have it all. Is it too complex? I played Scythe 2 player and Dinosaur Island 3 player
2. Mage Knight. Everybody puts this on their number one list. Dormant seem too complex but I could be wrong.
3. Too many Bones: Undertow. Only plays 1-2 players
4. Gloomhaven for obvious reasons but actually on my bottom of my radar. Not sure I will like it all that much.
5. Feast for Odin- Just looks like fun
Runners up- Caverna, Spirit Island, Gaia Project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaia Project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panupong Chotiveschakarn
Thailand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:

+1 on Gaia Project
PS. If you want to play up to 4 I would not recommend Mageknight, TMB, Spirit Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siford
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is an awesome experience for 1 or 2 players. Tried it once with 3p and even with a short scenario it was loooong. Best solo game I have tried.

A Feast for Odin has all the criteria you are looking for. I have never played it solo though.

Anachrony was pretty good with 2p and I suspect may be better with 3p. I found it harder than AFfO to learn. It has a lot of symbology but once learned it makes the game easier to read. The hardest thing is figuring out that is that there is one more step in the worker placement chain - how many exosuits do I need/can I afford for my workers this/next turn? Is is under $100 these days? The factions also drive you towards a particular points strategy which is either great (if you like being pushed) or not so great if you prefer doing what you want to do (my preference).

I don't think the other games on your list fit your criteria. I prefer AFfO over Anachrony but they are both very solid medium heavy games for the WP genre.

Terraforming Mars is the engine builder everyone will recommend - but it isn't really worker placement. You may also want to look at something like Kanban: Driver's Edition which has a very interesting take on the Worker Placement genre (you have 1 worker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bowen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anachrony fits a lot of what you're looking for but I wouldn't play without the miniatures personally (not a big mini guy they just had a fun factor and function too) and you'd want to get the upcoming expansion for improved solo play so it wouldn't be under 100 when done (base game is though). Also it can get complicated as you try to make sure your time traveling plans actually work. It offers work placement and engine building.

Gaia project comes in under 100 and isn't as complicated to me (though both involve a good deal of planning). It's not really a worker placement but definitely has a lot of engine building.

Mage Knight is a great solo game but it's not really a worker placement or engine builder.

I'm not going to comment on the others as haven't played them yet.

I'd say watch a play through of Anachrony and if it doesn't seem too complicated it fits your criteria best. If not I'd go with Gaia project. Both are fantastic games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess Peyton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s a really good list.

I have played too many bones and too many undertow. These are character builders. Too many bones is only a 1-2 player game. Too many bones can play 1-4 players but it’s $129. These are awesome campaign games with complex character development decisions. Learning the characters takes some time. There are you tube videos put out by chip theory to help learn each character. They are cooperative games. You choose your final boss so you can control game length. I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
As I wouldn’t consider your options #2-4 as Euros, it sounds like you’re not that attached to requesting only medium-heavy Euros but also interested in more Euro-y dungeon crawl type games. Personally, I don’t find the solo variants of most Euros (eg Caverna/Anachrony/Feast for Odin) to be that replayable. WP games in particular feel very artificial in solo mode. I just prefer to save them for when I have friends to play with.

I haven’t played it yet, but I think Spirit Island would be a great choice, as the solo mode is not fundamentally different than the normal co-op game.

For me personally, the perfect medium-heavy Euros (Euro used loosely) for both solo and 4-player are the COIN games, but those might not be to your taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
From your list of "potentials":

1 Gloomhaven
2 Gaia Project
3 Spirit Island
4 A Feast for Odin
5 Mage Knight Board Game
6 Caverna: The Cave Farmers
7 Too Many Bones: Undertow
8 Anachrony

Gloomhaven is a BIG, thematic game with a lot of replayability. Many consider Gloomhaven to be fairly complex but oddly enough, it might be the least weighty option of all the games on the above list... or at least no more difficult than any of them. Gloomhaven plays well solo and with 2-4 it really shines.

Gaia Project is an excellent game as well. Good solo game and again really shines with 2-4. I wouldn't call it "crazy" complex... but it certainly will take a while to wrap your head around the gameplay options. Rulebook is 24 pages but well laid out and explained.

Spirit Island... great co-op which again will take some time to wrap your head around all the options in the game. Plays great as a solo game and excellent with 2/3 but many will say it's a little too long with 4... but that's obviously debatable when it's such a great game and everyone is enjoying the experience.

A Feast for Odin is (arguably) Uwe Rosenberg's biggest game in terms of the options you have in the game... but the complexity of the rules and gameplay isn't overwhelming. Great game from 1-4 but again some would likely say it gets a little long with 4 (...but again at the full player counts... most games are at their longest.)

Mage Knight Board Game... here's a game with some pros and cons. Excellent solo game... regularly gets quoted as being THE best solo game in existence and while obviously that's debatable, the very fact it gets mentioned so often as an outstanding solo game shows that it is truly one of the very best. The downside is that with 3 or 4 it plays LONG... and many won't even play it with 4 because of the downtime/length. It's also maybe the most complex game on your list in terms of rules and gameplay complexity and many will say there's a lot of little rules to remember that are easy to forget. So basically it comes down to how much you'll play solo and how often you'll play with 4... because that's the biggest pro and con respectively for the game.

Caverna: The Cave Farmers... great game that many consider the "better Agricola"... but that's again debatable. The solo game isn't particularly well loved (39% don't recommend the game solo).. but at 2/3/4 players the game plays great and scales well at all those player counts. As a bonus it plays all the way up to 7 but again plays much longer at those max player counts. Complexity is reasonable as well.. certainly lighter than Mage Knight and Gaia Project.

Too Many Bones: Undertow... excellent game for 1/2 players but that's where it stops until you add in more characters to play with 3/4 players. To play the game with 4 you'd definitely be over the $100 mark because you'd need either Too Many Bones (plays with 4) or Too Many Bones: Undertow + 2 more characters at ~$25 each. The game itself is moderate in complexity compared to the rest on this list. I think a reasonable comparison for complexity would be Spirit Island. Too Many Bones scales very well from 1-4 as well. Biggest knock obviously is the price to play with 4 but there's a lot of great and varied gameplay in the box.

Anachrony... Plays well solo and even better with 2-4 and has reasonable rules complexity (in comparison to everything else on this list... none of which are simple obviously). I think Anachrony is slighter harder to get repeat plays of though... ie the replayability isn't quite as good as the higher games on this list. Certainly this isn't a bad game, but I would just rate the others overall higher based on the variety of gameplay and replay value overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want Anachrony. It's worker placement AND engine building, but not crazy complex.

Scythe is also excellent! It's definitely engine-buildy, not technically worker placement, but has a lot of reply value, especially if you start incorporating any of the 3 expansions.

Feast for Odin, but there is a lot of moving parts (at least, that's how I remember my single experience with it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.