Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Any fun playing solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello

Some people have referred to playing RFTG solitaire. How much fun is it as a solo game? Are the solitaire rules just pasted onto the base game, or are they well thought out? How much replayability does the solitaire game have? How complicated it is?

How many expansions would I have to buy to play this game solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race + Gathering Storm = solo and 2 player perfection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony M wrote:
Hello

Some people have referred to playing RFTG solitaire. How much fun is it as a solo game? Are the solitaire rules just pasted onto the base game, or are they well thought out? How much replayability does the solitaire game have? How complicated it is?

How many expansions would I have to buy to play this game solo?

It's a great game solo, actually. You have to buy the first expansion (Gathering Storm) to get the bot to play against - but that's all you need to start playing solo. And the bot has varying difficulty, which makes it continually challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Any clue as to how long we need to wait for 2nd edition update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The other two Arc 1 expansions, Rebel vs Imperium and Brink of War are not required for solo play.

However, they do include new start worlds and expanded support for the solo robot if using those start worlds.
(Robot logic varies by its start world, in order to keep things challenging.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Perry
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 100 Solo - #17
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you've made your mind up by now but I'll be the dissenting voice. After hundreds (maybe thousands?) of games of Race I don't recommend it solitaire when the app exists. The app is pretty much perfect and hits the piece that's missing for me in the physical solo game - predicting your opponent's role selections. Playing with the physical version always left me feeling a little underwhelmed but the app AI is great. Even better, there are still active players so you can get a two-player (the only way I like Race) game going most any time.

OK, everyone can attack me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
Yeah, I agree. Solo is good maybe to test some possible combos or engine-building, but with the app or online play against others it doesn't make it very appealing in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend it solitaire. For me the app is something else entirely, not really comparable to the experience of a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Gabriel. While I do enjoy playing solo vs the A.I. on the app, playing vs the bot is a totally different beast, which I actually prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.