BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Liars and Cheats on Craiglist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all, I just purchased 3 board games from a seller on Craiglist. The price was reasonable about 50% of the retail price when grabbed as a bundle. They were labelled as LIKE NEW and PLAYED ONCE. I took a quick look at the game boards and pieces when we met. The games looked pretty good.

When I got home, upon further and a thorough inspection, I noticed there were tears and bends in rulebooks and writings on the insides of the game boxes, some corners of the game box are bent

Clearly this isn't LIKE NEW. This disgusts me. I am sick of cheats like these on Craiglist. Whenever I sell a game on Craiglist, I take pictures from all angles and show every minor ding and dent. From now on, I will only buy new games from retail or games in shrink from private sellers.

Some people need to have some decency. Going around lying and cheating trying to make an extra 10 bucks...unbelievable...

Anyways I just needed to vent and to warn others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
insulated wrote:
From now on, I will only buy new games from retail or games in shrink from private sellers.

Just because a game is in shrink doesn't mean it hasn't been opened. You can buy shrink wrap machines on Amazon, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Laissez K wrote:

Just because a game is in shrink doesn't mean it hasn't been opened. You can buy shrink wrap machines on Amazon, you know.

wow that is next level man damn.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game stores very commonly open games for customers to have a look and then re-shrink them before returning the game to the shelf.

As for the OP's games: For many people what you describe will count as "nearly new". The things you care about in the presentation of your games are not what they care about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

As for the OP's games: For many people what you describe will count as "nearly new". The things you care about in the presentation of your games are not what they care about.

Maybe acceptable or good condition. I'd be fine with most of what he describes in a used game. However, any writing should be disclosed. That's atypical usage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expected to hear a story about a craigslist seller who took your money and never delivered any game at all... not that the condition was slightly worse than advertised. The invective in your title seems out of proportion to the problem. I can’t imagine your response had you been scammed rather than just dealing with someone whose standards are a bit more lax than yours.

As a side note, this is probably why I prefer dealing with people on BGG. When you deal with people on other sites they tend to be non-gamers or more casual gamers and as such don’t obsess over game quality the same way as those in this community do.

TLDR; Buy from Ebay or Craigslist with the expectation that non-geeks have different ideas about what game condition means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
This is why you should always meet Craigslist people at their houses. That way you can go back and put dog poop on their welcome mat and in their mailbox if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Craigslist replaced newspaper classified advertisements.
The quality of goods remains the same, although you do often get to see a picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
I expected to hear a story about a craigslist seller who took your money and never delivered any game at all... not that the condition was slightly worse than advertised. The invective in your title seems out of proportion to the problem. I can’t imagine your response had you been scammed rather than just dealing with someone whose standards are a bit more lax than yours.

As a side note, this is probably why I prefer dealing with people on BGG. When you deal with people on other sites they tend to be non-gamers or more casual gamers and as such don’t obsess over game quality the same way as those in this community do.

TLDR; Buy from Ebay or Craigslist with the expectation that non-geeks have different ideas about what game condition means.

If he took my money and never delivered, i would going to the cops, considering total the value I paid for all 3 games. In addition, not once did i use the word "scammed", which does imply not receiving the product.

If you bought a LIKE NEW game with a ripped rulebook with writings inside the box and tears on the corners, and you don't feel bad at all, then you are a bigger man than me

A moderately used game has MUCH less resell value if you ever decide to sell it again, therefore is worth less. By calling a game LIKE NEW when its moderately used is inflating its value and is just plain lying.

I appreciate your comment about people having different perspectives on conditions of games. I would agree that when it comes to descriptions such as Great vs Good Vs Moderately Used, perspective tend to play a bigger role. Using perspective as an excuse may fly. However, the difference between LIKE NEW and Moderately Used should quite obvious and apparent to everyone.

I'm simply trying to warn others to be careful.

But I will try to avoid ebay and craiglist in the future and use BGG instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
insulated wrote:
Hi all, I just purchased 3 board games from a seller on Craiglist. The price was reasonable about 50% of the retail price when grabbed as a bundle. They were labelled as LIKE NEW and PLAYED ONCE. I took a quick look at the game boards and pieces when we met. The games looked pretty good.

When I got home, upon further and a thorough inspection, I noticed there were tears and bends in rulebooks and writings on the insides of the game boxes, some corners of the game box are bent

Clearly this isn't LIKE NEW. This disgusts me. I am sick of cheats like these on Craiglist. Whenever I sell a game on Craiglist, I take pictures from all angles and show every minor ding and dent. From now on, I will only buy new games from retail or games in shrink from private sellers.

Some people need to have some decency. Going around lying and cheating trying to make an extra 10 bucks...unbelievable...

Anyways I just needed to vent and to warn others

really? IMO, the OP had the opportunity to inspect the items prior to purchase, so this is 100% on him. "LIKE NEW" is a completely subjective description. "Played Once" is impossible to verify and in actuality makes no claim to condition of the game, its components or its rulebook. at 50% off full retail, a bent rulebook and some writing on the inside of the box that wasn't noticeable at first is not a big deal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
SuperGLS wrote:
This is why you should always meet Craigslist people at their houses. That way you can go back and put dog poop on their welcome mat and in their mailbox if needed.

HAHAHAHAH brillant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
glouie wrote:

really? IMO, the OP had the opportunity to inspect the items prior to purchase, so this is 100% on him. "LIKE NEW" is a completely subjective description. "Played Once" is impossible to verify and in actuality makes no claim to condition of the game, its components or its rulebook. at 50% off full retail, a bent rulebook and some writing on the inside of the box that wasn't noticeable at first is not a big deal...

LIKE NEW shouldnt be subjective....Only people that sell a moderately used game and labelling them as LIKE NEW would call it subjective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread promised something different than what was delivered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:
insulated wrote:
From now on, I will only buy new games from retail or games in shrink from private sellers.

In high school, a friend of mine worked for Babbage's (yes, this was a while ago). He could borrow new releases for up to a week from the store. If he liked it, he could buy it for 25% off retail. If he didn't like it, they shrinked it back and sold it as new.

(I got Strider that way for the Genesis/Mega Drive when it was first out - saved 25%)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:
This thread promised something different than what was delivered.

woah. thats deep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this sounded like a good idea for a game. Disapointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
Laissez K wrote:
insulated wrote:

In high school, a friend of mine worked for Babbage's (yes, this was a while ago). He could borrow new releases for up to a week from the store. If he liked it, he could buy it for 25% off retail. If he didn't like it, they shrinked it back and sold it as new.

(I got Strider that way for the Genesis/Mega Drive when it was first out - saved 25%)

To be fair, Babbage's return policy meant that you could do this as a customer as well. You could return any game no questions asked for a 100% refund as long as it was within a week of purchase. I'm sure they just reshrinked them for resale.

This was not a matter of scamming at all, I remember returning Streets of Rage 2 for the Genesis and explaining that I had beaten the game repeatedly in the week I had it and had no reason to keep it. I also "rented" many 3DO games this way, as it was impossible to play them prior to purchase.

On a related note: I know Barnes and Nobles also has a very lenient employee lending policy as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"Old does not mean dead! New does not mean best! No hard feelings I'm tired of being right about everything I've said! Yours does not mean mine! Kill does not mean die! We are not your kind! No excuses I CHALLENGE YOU TO ALL OUT FUCKING LIFE!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Humble opinion JJ, this is on you. You had every opportunity to inspect the games it sounds like to your hearts content before paying.

You admit you did a cursory look through only. The seller only succeeded in "scamming" you because you allowed it. I agree wholeheartedly that stuff like this shouldn't exist/happen. That people shouldn't be scam artists etc (If this seller truly was that), but that's not how the world works.

Humbly, take this life lesson to heart and proceed with more awareness/carefulness in the future for yourself. There's a reason we have the Latin phrase: Caveat emptor (The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made), what you've described is a story as old as time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sequella Deville
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
insulated wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

If he took my money and never delivered, i would going to the cops, considering total the value I paid for all 3 games.

And they would laugh at you, tell you to fill out a report, and then forget about it. No cop is going to waste time on that.

You were blessed to buy it in person, rather than online where you would have no insight into the contents and state of the purchases you were making until it arrived post-payment.

Instead, you were in the perfect position to physically evaluate all contents prior to the transaction. You didn't. "Case closed".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
insulated wrote:

I feel your pain, bro, really I do. But in all fairness, this isn't a problem that's limited to board games. This is a general issue for anything being sold on the second-hand market. Hence the age-old adage: let the buyer beware.

If you're going to do business on the second hand market (for any product), make sure you don't take anything for granted. Also, keep in mind that you get what you pay for, so if the asking price is remarkably lower than you'd expect, there's probably a reason, right? "Like New" for half MSRP is probably not going to be exactly like new, no matter how good the seller makes it sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you contact the seller afterwards with your concerns? It might help to calmly present your case. Maybe they would be willing to refund a portion of the purchase price.

I'd try that instead of venting on a site that can't do anything for you except either support your views or mock you for your predicament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
the tl,dr:
OP bought games from muggle, upset he paid half price but can't resell them for full price
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
insulated wrote:
If he took my money and never delivered, i would going to the cops...

They have cops in Canada? I thought everyone just followed the law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
So you met this person, you LOOKED AT THE GAMES, then decided to pay for them as they were acceptable at the time. Then you went home and whined in the internet about the condition?

This is 100% on you, if you were being particular you should have completed a thorough inspection at the time of transaction. You had the chance, you passed on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
So you met this person, you LOOKED AT THE GAMES, then decided to pay for them as they were acceptable at the time. Then you went home and whined in the internet about the condition?

This is 100% on you, if you were being particular you should have completed a thorough inspection at the time of transaction. You had the chance, you passed on it.

Thanks for saving me typing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.