tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Humble opinion JJ, this is on you. You had every opportunity to inspect the games it sounds like to your hearts content before paying.

You admit you did a cursory look through only. The seller only succeeded in "scamming" you because you allowed it. I agree wholeheartedly that stuff like this shouldn't exist/happen. That people shouldn't be scam artists etc (If this seller truly was that), but that's not how the world works.

Humbly, take this life lesson to heart and proceed with more awareness/carefulness in the future for yourself. There's a reason we have the Latin phrase: Caveat emptor (The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made), what you've described is a story as old as time.

I should've checked more thoroughly, but I'm just pissed that people even do this shit with board games. It's not like we are dealing high grade heroin here.

Lesson learned: will never buy a used board game again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolkster
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
insulated wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Humble opinion JJ, this is on you. You had every opportunity to inspect the games it sounds like to your hearts content before paying.

You admit you did a cursory look through only. The seller only succeeded in "scamming" you because you allowed it. I agree wholeheartedly that stuff like this shouldn't exist/happen. That people shouldn't be scam artists etc (If this seller truly was that), but that's not how the world works.

Humbly, take this life lesson to heart and proceed with more awareness/carefulness in the future for yourself. There's a reason we have the Latin phrase: Caveat emptor (The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made), what you've described is a story as old as time.

I should've checked more thoroughly, but I'm just pissed that people even do this shit with board games. It's not like we are dealing high grade heroin here.

Lesson learned: will never buy a used board game again

Pssssst... I've got a copy of Pandemic Legacy 1 I'll sell you for 75% off. It's only been played to completion once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
the tl,dr:
OP bought games from muggle, upset he paid half price but can't resell them for full price

I see people selling used board games on Craigslist for the same price I could buy the game new online. I will never understand those people.
(Not saying the OP was going to do this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi JJ
What you describe should in no way harm the playing of the games. For most people it would also not impair their enjoyment of the games.

It sounds like you got a great price and objectively still a good bargain, but that these minor problems are potentially going to ruin your enjoyment of the games. If that builds into resentment, then you'll lose out even more on the deal, so worth thinking about either selling them on ASAP (and yes, be the good person who very fairly/accurately describes the condition), or accept that the deal was still a good one, and enjoy those games.

There are a (significant?) minority of people in this hobby, who take great pride in keeping games in 'as new' condition. From sleeving cards to refusing to allow any food to be eaten whilst games are being played, to wrapping the box in bubble wrap and/or cardboard to transport them. For them a crease in the rule book would upset them, likewise a dent in the side of the box or a scuffed corner of the board.

Looking forwards, I'd suggest either buying new, or only from people you know to be this obsessive. Otherwise there will be many further disappointments in buying second-hand games.

Regards
Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spanna wrote:
What you describe should in no way harm the playing of the games. For most people it would also not impair their enjoyment of the games.
This. If the only issue is with some writing on the inside of the box and the rulebook, I wouldn’t particularly care. If the board, bits and cards are intact and in good condition, then that’s all I need.

Most of the time you don’t need the rulebook. Once you learn the game it’s largely superfluous. And how does writing inside the box, which you’ll mostly never see, really make a difference.

Honestly, it sounds like a mental hangup to me. Just the fact that you know the game isn’t “pristine” is going to tweak you and destroy your ability to enjoy the game. The best solution here would be to let go of your need for everything to be perfect. Failing that, if you need perfection, pay for it. You want a “new” copy of a game... then don’t risk buying used. Pay full price and get an actual new copy of the game.

Also, the person selling the game isn’t scamming you. They just have different standards. From their perspective the game, at least the important bits, are like new. They probably don’t even think about what the rulebook condition is like. And they probably can’t even imagine that the writing inside the box matters. If they were really planning on scamming you, they wouldn’t have met you in person and given you the opportunity to inspect the game to your heart’s content. Maybe they didn’t give the best description of the game they could have, but that sounds more like an error rather than a deliberate attempt to hoodwink you. Never attribute to malice what can be explained via incompetence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
darthain wrote:
So you met this person, you LOOKED AT THE GAMES, then decided to pay for them as they were acceptable at the time. Then you went home and whined in the internet about the condition?

This is 100% on you, if you were being particular you should have completed a thorough inspection at the time of transaction. You had the chance, you passed on it.

I'm pretty sure the buyer didn't want to be a jerk and sit there for half an hour in the stranger's home inspecting all the components. It was advertised as like new and he trusted them, taking a quick look and then giving them the benefit of the doubt. So you would sit on the floor in their home and spread everything out inspecting it all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Response to removed post
Ryan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
darthain wrote:
So you met this person, you LOOKED AT THE GAMES, then decided to pay for them as they were acceptable at the time. Then you went home and whined in the internet about the condition?

This is 100% on you, if you were being particular you should have completed a thorough inspection at the time of transaction. You had the chance, you passed on it.

I'm pretty sure the buyer didn't want to be a jerk and sit there for half an hour in the stranger's home inspecting all the components. It was advertised as like new and he trusted them, taking a quick look and then giving them the benefit of the doubt. So you would sit on the floor in their home and spread everything out inspecting it all?

Sales are usually final in situations like this. You can choose to trust people with your money or not at the expense of a little extra time. Sometimes it works out, but sometimes it doesn't. This time it didn't and it was the buyer's choice.

So to answer your questions, yes, if I'm spending some money on a game, I will inspect it (if possible) to make sure the condition is what I expect. That takes time - that's life, and it's my choice. I do that so situations like this don't happen to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy and sell off of Craigslist all of the time. It really depends on the seller as to how nice the games will be. Some will discount deeply for something as silly as a box lid bowing in, and others would ask full price for the same.

One person sold me Carcassonne "played only once" and I did a cursory inspection and it looked fine. When we went to play it, we found out they wrote the word "inn" on all of the cloisters. For $10 we found it funny, it hasn't bothered us at all.

Other games say they've been played once and they're a great deal, but the rule book tells another story (completely crumpled like the game's been played dozens of times). Another time I tried to see if a game was complete, but the seller had everything in such a mess I didn't bother and just bought it. It was Catan with the 5-6 player expansion, and some of the numbered pieces were missing, but for $25 for both I just made the missing tokens myself (there were also odd numbers of roads, but enough extras of some player colors to re-paint them for the colors that were missing).

The one that annoyed me the most was someone trying to sell Via Nebula for close to retail. I finally (with a few other games) got the price of that one down to something reasonable, and knowing this was a BGG user and someone from Instagram I trusted it - turns out it was a demo copy from a store, with a demo copy sticker on the rule book and the insert missing. That was the only time I felt truly "ripped off."

And yes, when I sell games there are sometimes people who painstakingly sit there for half an hour counting every piece and whining about a dent in the box. I'm not trying to make money off of the sales, and while I won't haggle at that point since I post photos of everything I sell, sometimes people walk away because of it. That's fine, someone else will buy it later.

That's just how it goes on Craigslist and Offerup. I can understand the OP not wanting to deal with this and just wanting to buy new if all he cares about is a game in pristine condition, but for me I prefer to be able to actually play the games and enjoy them, without having to pay retail. When I sell them later, I don't mind losing a little $, because I got enjoyment from the game. To each their own, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.