United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

After getting our butt kicked in our 4 player game tonight by 2 side quests straight we realized it is not worth it to even try.

People on the FFG forum said just start, loot as much search token as you can and get out before getting knocked out and losing one morale.

To me this sounds like bad game design. Your thoughts?

Btw we are playing Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend with the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let me guess, it's that prison break mission right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prison break was the 2nd one yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmb
I mean, what's the opportunity cost on your team? A re-roll in the shop? If you have no money you might as well do the side quests. I don't find them that hard at all. Usually we don't lose a single person, and either way you're gonna go back to town and get the morale back anyways.

Some harder side quests are the one with the respawning zombies where the wizards backstabbed the townsfolk, the deephall side quest, and the prison one is hard to COMPLETE but you can leave early and take whoever you freed (that's how designed, it's not counted as a loss to leave early). Although we did end up getting every prisoner one time, fresh off a bigg powerspike.

Also, you need the fame for end game. If you wanna roll up to the finale with an Iron Battle Axe that's fine..but I prefer Grinding Axes, Lightning Strikes, and Ironbound Glaives. An Obsidian Mail wouldn't hurt either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you restore morale when you go to towwn plan your sidequest before going to town. In the beginning the side quests are hard, but get easier as you level up (until Act 2 and then they become hard again for a while). Also some are definitely harder than others. So at the start plan to do one sidequest between main quests. Later, if you feel stronger and you get out of a main quest with high moral, you can attempt two side quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I played that one, rescued two prisoners and then ran out. It feels like a push your luck mission and I went as far as I felt comfortable. I gained 2 fame (or whatever they call it) and continued on. I benefited a little and lost nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
One thing you have to keep in mind is that this game was designed with the idea that the heroes don’t always win. The side quests are there for loot and fame and you don’t lose anything by losing them. But the game is about having fun and the experience of adventuring through the quest so if your group of gamers doesn’t like the side quests then I would suggest that you skip them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.