Mark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I recently got a chance to play BATMAN GOTHAM CITY CHRONICLES and had a blast with it.

The game was released via a very successful Kickstarter, which ended with over $4.4million pledged. As part of the Kickstarter there were no less than 4 additional expansions available (Wayne Manor, Arkham Asylum, Batmobile and a Versus mode), but I only played with the base game. That said, the base game is still huge, with 150+ high quality miniatures, four large maps and more.

There’s a huge variety to the miniatures, from well known characters such as Batman, Robin, The Joker, Penguin etc, to some much more obscure characters gleaned from the depths of the comics (there’s even a Batcow).

There can be no doubt that this is an excellent presentation. Very high quality miniatures: dynamic and well sculpted with lots of personality. The boards themselves are extremely high quality with great artwork, featuring varied locations from the inside of a chemical plant to a rainy Gotham street. Even though each board is flat, there are a number of different elevations within the level, so on your turn you might climb on to a car, then up on to a building, before jumping across an alley to another building, etc.

One thing that became quickly apparent is that there is a huge amount of content included in the game. There is a mission book which contains 21 or so scenarios, each of which can be tackled by a number of different heroes. As the rules are written you can’t use every character in every mission (but it’s your game, after all, so there’s no reason why you couldn’t bend this rule), but they still give a great variety. In the first mission that I played, I got to choose between one of the four variants of Batman included in the game (which all differ slightly), and a couple of the variants of Robin. Later, in a different mission where I controlled two heroes, I used a different Batman along with Nightwing, but I could have chosen Batgirl and Robin, say. Leafing through the missions booklet, it was great to see that there’s also some missions where you use some of the more mundane characters, like Commissioner Gordon.

Once you’ve picked which heroes you want to use, you’re given a card which shows their abilities and strengths (some characters are better at fighting than others as you’d expect, some are more agile and able to parkour around the map, etc). Then comes one of the toughest, and coolest parts of the game: choosing which gadgets you take with you.

Of course, Batman is renowned for his gadgets, and that is well represented here. Each character has an allowance of points from which to choose a number of gadgets to take with them on the mission, each gadget costing a different number of points. It’s a compelling choice because it makes you predict how you’re going to approach the mission. Do you take the grappling hook and move through the level more quickly, or do you take the explosive gel which lets you blast a hole through a wall?

In my first game, where I had no real idea what I was doing, I decided to be as Batman as possible, picking a Batarang (which lets Batman attack from a distance), a grappling hook (which allows him to quickly scale obstacles and walls) and his Batcape (which gives some added protection against ranged attacks).

The villainous Two-Face and his goons had taken over a chemical plant and were threatening to poison Gotham City’s water supply. My mission was to go in and stop them before the time ran out and they released the chemicals. I had to hack three computer terminals (there were 4 in the level) to deactivate the release valves and save Gotham City.

Starting on one of the gantries above a vat of chemicals, I was attacked by one of the goons, which I quickly subdued. I then dashed along the gantry, knocking out another goon and positioning myself ready to hack the first terminal. The henchmen moved to take up positions below me as Two-Face moved to shoot, but his bullets were deflected by my cape. In the next turn I jumped down to cover, out of sight of Two-Face where I was attacked by two goons. The Batman that I was playing was a bit more combat focused than the others (being based on the hulking Batman as portrayed by Frank Miller in his Dark Knight comics), and so was able to take out both goons in one combo attack.

From there I fired my grappling hook into the roof of the plant, swinging to an elevated position atop a pile of barrels, before using my Batarang to take out a guard. I jumped down to where the second terminal was, took out another goon at close quarters and hacked the terminal, all the time trying to avoid shots from Two-Face’s gun.

Time was running out, so I grappled up to the gantry where the final terminal was, pushing my way through the last few guards. I reached the terminal… but it was too late. I was unable to stop the valves being released and the chemicals poured into the river. I had failed.

If it wasn’t obvious from the above, this all felt incredibly evocative. Deflecting bullets, beating up goons, throwing Batarangs, swinging from grappling hooks: it all came together to create a real sense of feeling like Batman.

The game mechanics are very reminiscent of publisher Monolith’s previous game, Conan. You are given a number of cubes which represent your available actions, but also your health. You activate various actions by moving those cubes to various parts on your player board. Want to move? Put a cube in your movement section. Want to attack? Put one in your attack section. Want to make REALLY sure that the attack hits? put more cubes in for that same attack, allowing you to roll more dice, increasing the chance of success. It’s a really fun system that works very well. You only recover a small amount of cubes per turn, so there is a real balance between going all out and doing something amazing in a big flourish of action, or being more conservative and saving your actions for when you might need them most. It is a system that gives each turn a great sense of momentum, with lots of interesting decisions to make, and it works very well.

After my failure in my first mission, I decided to have another go, this time taking different equipment and going for different terminals. I lost the Batcape and the Batarang, this time taking explosive gel. I managed to blast my way through one of the walls into a room with one of the terminals, but again I failed by running out of time. This was due to me dithering about and not being entirely sure how to approach the level. It was clear that efficient use of actions and proper planning is key to success.

In the third mission that I played, Batman teamed up with Nightwing to take on Scarecrow and a horde of crazed followers who had spread a fear-inducing toxin throughout Gotham. I had to get in, get the recipe to create an antidote and get out. Nightwing proved to be an absolute beast in combat, his electrified batons doing great work at taking out a large number of goons. His parkour skills also meant that he was able to move through the level quickly. Batman made use of his grappling hook, getting to Scarecrow quickly and managing to beat the combination of the safe which contained the recipe for the antidote out of him (I could alternatively have hacked a computer terminal to get the safe’s combination), before knocking him out with a punch from his Electrified Batgloves.

Though the game was a lot of fun with one hero, it felt much more fun with two. The heroes were able to work well together; one pushing forward while the other recovers, and the whole game just felt like it flowed better with two heroes.

There are a few drawbacks, however. Beyond the obvious one of price and availability, there is the rulebook. Though I didn’t read it myself, from what I saw it did seem to be quite dense and difficult to navigate.

There is also the point of symbology in the game. There are a large number of skills in the game (perhaps 30+), each represented by a symbol. The problem that we had was that it was quite difficult to remember what each of these symbols meant, so we had to keep pausing to look them up. The symbols are listed alphabetically on the player aid that we were using (which was a print out, and not included with the game), but because the symbols aren’t named on the character sheet, we ended up playing a game of symbol-Where’s Wally every time we needed to look something up, which was quite often.

It would have been useful for their names to be listed on the character sheet, so that looking them up alphabetically was quicker. If not, grouping the skills on the player aid into categories (skills pertaining to movement, movement skills, etc). Also, the fact that the player aid wasn’t included in a game that costs $140 is slightly annoying.

This did break the flow of the game slightly, as we had to keep pausing to look up a particular skill, but this is a fairly minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, and it doesn’t spoil the overall experience. As you get more experienced and familiar with the skills, it is a problem that would quickly fade into the background.

---

Overall, I had a fantastic time with this game, and I would highly recommend it. It feels quick paced, exciting and evocative, and the sheer amount of missions / hero combos / equipment combos mean there is a massive amount of replayability. I am very much looking forward to playing it again.

+ Fast-paced gameplay with a great sense of momentum
+ Lots of interesting decisions
+ A strong theme which comes out well
+ Massive amounts of content and replayability
+ Excellent presentation
+ Makes you feel like Batman
– Some fiddly symbology issues

originally posted on www.diceinthedark.com

Edit: here’s a user-created guide to the symbols, broken down by category and character. Fantastic work by Zarniwooper.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/179692/batman-gcc-skill-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt John
msg tools
publisher
mb
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you're enjoying things so far. The lack of player aids was a regrettable oversight. We created some for our website but weren't able to get them included in the production copies. It's definitely something we're reflecting on going forward! Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply, Matt.

It’s good to hear that you’ve taken that feedback on board. It’s only a minor quibble.

Thanks for the support you’ve given to the game post launch, seems you guys are doing a great job

All the best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rice
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
The huge # of symbols is beginning to worry me. More than anything else, it seems to be the one thing that could slow down the learning curve.

I thought if Monolith released the artwork and info to artscow for instance, people could have decks of cards customized for the specific powers (with explanations)for each of the characters. Probably far more practical, would be an app where players could type in which characters they are using in a scenario, and again have a restricted list of powers presented for them to study or access. Gloomhaven has a couple of indie apps published for it that have been quite useful. Perhaps that could happen here too.

I'm excited to hear you have such a great first experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply.

Though I do obviously make a point of mentioning the symbols, and I have seen it mentioned elsewhere, I do think that it is a problem that will melt away as people become more familiar with the game.

I believe, though I’m not sure, that there has been an effort by the community to create an index of what characters have what skills to help smooth things along (I think there is something in the file section here on BGG).

Edit: yep, there is an index of the skills sorted into categories and separated by character in the files section. A heroic effort from the user who created that. Go check it out and give them a thumbs up.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/179692/batman-gcc-skill-a...

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Problem solved? https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2189875/so-i-made-hero-abil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
alvinltlo wrote:

Fantastic, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this with a friend of mine last night. I was looking forward to playing and so was he. We have no experience with the previously released Conan game.

Im sad to say that it was a bad experience we had. My friend had spent a couple of days trying to figure the game out through the rulebook and watching 3-4 different instructional videos. The videos he watched (i watched a good chunk of one vid by monolith staff i believe) was not very informative. The two who were playing were mainly just playing the game and NOT really explaining things like "you recieve an extra die for this reason, blah blah blah,". We found ourselves asking constantly "ok so WHY did that person just roll an extra die, or WHY did they do something in a particular way?"

Trying to look up stuff in the rule book was also very frustrating bc information was spread out across different parts of the rule book. I think we were trying to look up something to do with combat and were redirected to two other different pages before we got the answer.

I also noticed that some of the art in the rule book did not match the art on the components. Its like the rule book still contained art from an earlier prototype version of the game.

The icons were numerous and at first VERY overwhelming to try and look up. Like someone above said, im sure this particular issue would go away after a few plays and some familiarity, but for is two who happen to play and love heavier games, found that we were really stumbling with trying to figure out both how to set up, and how to actually play this.

Eventually we felt we had figured out enough to start a game. We played the mission where i was Bane and his thugs trying to arm a bunch of bombs. My friend was batman, red hood, and catwoman and he was trying to stop me.

Im sure we played some things wrong bc i found it pretty easy to both arm a few bombs, and at the same time i was hammering down on red hood (he was the character who was in such a position that i could reach pretty easy WITH a large group of thugs). So after my first turn i had KOd him and then he had to spend a turn resting, but as he was resting i then beat on him some more which basically took away all his cubes that he regained, so then he had to rest again the next turn. He was not able to fight back at all.

As for Catwoman and batman... they couldnt seem to move fast enough to get to the bombs and disarm them. By the time they were able to take out one of my henchmen, all their cubes were gone and they had to rest. Again i would beat on them so they were not really able to recover.

This was mind boggling bc in the videos my friend had watched, he saw batman and his team beating the crap out of the bad guys and winning the scenarios. In our game i found it really easy to do beat up batman and his team! This did not feel like the asskicking batman that we have all grown to know and love lol!

So yeah... We had a poor experience with this game unfortunately. I personally would LOVE to try it again after learning how to play properly, but my friend is so fed up with it that hes almost decided to just sell it and recover his money (about $450 cdn).

I dont blame the guy for feeling that way. It was an expensive game to buy and the rulebook i really feel is terrible! I dont feel that there is any real explanation (like why not create a guide that explains and makes suggestions as it walks you through some kind of tutorial mission???) I dont know if it would have made a difference had we had some experience with Conan, but honestly... A company should not be making a game, assuming that players would have experience playing a prior product and using this as an excuse to have a poorly organized rule book. It should be assumed the player has no knolwedge of anything prior. As i said, we own and play several very heavy games (ie. Lisboa, Kanban, Medeira, etc.) So its not like we are inexperienced gamers. But the rules for those mentioned games are so well written that i can learn and understand the game almost perfectly!

Im not trying to spread hate about this game. Im a huge fan of Batman in general and the idea of this game sounded amazing! If i had bought this game i would choose not to give up till ive been able to learn it properly but its up to my friend, and as of now he is pretty pissed. For those of you who have played the game and understand it well, can you provide some direction for us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for your reply ShooShoo.

I’m sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the game, and I can completely see where you’re coming from.

I should note that neither I, nor my friend who owns the game, had played Conan.

I find it hard to explain why we had such different experiences, unfortunately.

My friend, who taught me the game as we played, seemed to have a good handle on the rules (beyond the symbols, which I mentioned in my original post), which I think helped keep things smooth.

I do think more how to play videos would be useful (it’d be great if Rodney Smith from Watch It Played did a video), as though there is one from Monolith, it is perhaps not the easiest to follow. (The guy is clearly doing it in a second language, so fair enough).

I hope that you do get to give it another try and have a more positive experience next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the monolith employees speaking english as a second language. I didnt find them hard to understand. The difficulty was that they would grab a certain amount of dice without explaining why they used that amount or colours. For example, one woman was rolling an attack and i think she grabbed an orange and red die initially. Idk why she grabbed those two bc afterwards she was just rolling a single red. No explanation as to what changed. It would have been better to say "ok now batman is going to attack, so he uses a red die, and an orange as noted here on his character sheet..." And show a closeup of the sheet and the symbols.

If i owned and understood the game i would work on putting together a video myself. Also, the rule book seemed very over complicated. Like, i was looking up the villains turn to see what the process was supposed to be. I was trying to see if i could move a space, perform an action, and then finish my movement (similar to Descent, imperial assault, etc.) And i was looking at these flowcharts in the rules. It SEEMED like it was confirming that i was able to do so but the wording and process used was a large flowchart when they could have simy said "you can move partially, perform an action, then finish a movement." Why use a flow chart???

Idk... I have nothing against the Monolith guys personally. Ive never met them nor do i want to bash them but come on... You put all this work into creating a game and then you have to not only create a rule book, but videos to EXPLAIN how to play?? In this day and age of gaming thats just not good practise.

To put it into perspective, i broke out my copy of Anachrony the other day. Thats a good sized euro game from mindclash and there are quite a bit of icons. Its not a light game at all. To look at it set up on the table its overwhelming at first and gives the impression of "holy crap! This looks complicated!" So i began reading the rules. Soooooo easy to follow, lots of examples, and very clear wording. I have no doubt that someone could read that rule book and still be very confused. The difference is that the rule book is very polished. Yes there are how to play videos, but really unnecessary. The rule book is more than sufficient to explain how to play. I dont feel thats the case with Batman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt, get in touch with me and I can make you some beautiful player aids (and a rules summary!)

Monolith Matt wrote:
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you're enjoying things so far. The lack of player aids was a regrettable oversight. We created some for our website but weren't able to get them included in the production copies. It's definitely something we're reflecting on going forward! Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now THIS is a project that the people should support! I would be very interested in what you can do with this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederic Henry
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
Thank you very very Much Mark for this fantastic review. It s exactly for produce this kind of sensations that we made the game. Really happy with that.

@ Shooshoo.
I know for sure that the game is very demanding and not easy to learn.
So there is a skill aid downlable here on BGG. We did 10 little videos "easy to learn" that you can find on our Youtube and FB page . We are making such a video (Easy to learn) by an american native, and a huge Q/A video by the same american Native Guy. Programmers are working on a online tool for helping LoS and an other one is working on a scenario editor. In a couple of weeks it will be easier and easier to properly learn the rules, even for those who are not familiar with procedural explanations (which have a bad flow but are always exacts and precises)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply, Frederic.

You’re welcome for the review, and it’s great to hear you guys are making such an effort to support the game and allow people to learn it easier. Great stuff.

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fred henry wrote:
Hi.
Thank you very very Much Mark for this fantastic review. It s exactly for produce this kind of sensations that we made the game. Really happy with that.

@ Shooshoo.
I know for sure that the game is very demanding and not easy to learn.
So there is a skill aid downlable here on BGG. We did 10 little videos "easy to learn" that you can find on our Youtube and FB page . We are making such a video (Easy to learn) by an american native, and a huge Q/A video by the same american Native Guy. Programmers are working on a online tool for helping LoS and an other one is working on a scenario editor. In a couple of weeks it will be easier and easier to properly learn the rules, even for those who are not familiar with procedural explanations (which have a bad flow but are always exacts and precises)

I appreciate the answer, but believe me... I dont have a problem with the French accent. I can understand fine (i have had MANY immigrant friends in my life who spoke english as a second or third language so this is not hard for me to follow). The rule book was just not clear with some instructions. As i mentioned the really frustrating things were having to look up the skills, which were placed in alphabetical order in the manual, but you have to look them all up anyway bc there is nothing written on the player boards. I do consider this a small problem bc the more you play the more familiar they will become. Also, when we looked up some skills, we noticed the wording was not very clear. For example, last night we had to debate how many successes were needed to KO a henchman. The info wasnt clear from the description.

My friend and i tried the bomb defusal mission again after learning of some mistakes we made the first time. The experience was better. It wasnt as easy for me to gang up on my friend bc he was playing a bit more conservatively. He did say that he was reading some other posts on here about the same mission and his concern was that in this particular mission if one wanted to win very easily, all they had to do was keep beating up Catwoman since she is best at diffusing the bombs. If the bad guy keeps her hurt, then she will constantly be resting and the other two will have to try to diffuse bombs, and for some reason its really difficult for batman to diffuse them. Thematically i would think batman would be a bomb defusal expert... Moreso than catwoman anyway.

I was willing to spend some time and play the game more to try and better learn it. Unfortunately my friend is still soured on it so he has listed his copy for sale on the bgg marketplace. I think that had it been a much easier time to try and figure everything out he would be more inclined to keep it. Again... We have no problem with complex rule books and games. We have several games that fit this category. It just seems like the book should have had some kind of tutorial or walkthrough with good examples that described HOW to play, and not requiring to have made a bunch of videos to teach the game. Maybe a model that was more similar to Fantasy Flight Games would have been better to model... Like, how they have the separate books that say "read this first to lesrn how to play" then the other book is the rules reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@shooshoo. I agree 100%! Maybe more!

Similar experience - videos watched, rulebook pored over. But we packed it away again before playing the first turn, such was my level of frustration. Which was really odd, as I’d played a demo game at Essen!

Tip for Monolith: if you're going to provide a useful glossary or anatomy of a component like the player board, try labelling everything in a logical order! And actually explain what the various parts actually are. Bouncing around the picture/page like a demented Labrador puppy makes it very hard to read and follow.

I’ll try it again some time I’m sure, but for now I’m going to spend my time playing games with a readable rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
It's seriously not that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny Awesome wrote:

So these guys are lying about their experience?
Or their experience is invalid?

Just because you were able to parse through this style of rulebook doesn’t mean everyone wants to, or even has the ability to.

I’m STILL waiting for my shipping number, so I’ve been reading through the rules. My summary impression is the design included several fiddly rules that provide no real gain. The desire to make the game language independent has also created a huge amount of “rules overhead” and I’m really starting to question whether working through that is worth the effort.

Needing to account for half a dozen considerations just to move a figure is farcical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gpritch3 wrote:
Johnny Awesome wrote:

Just because you were able to parse through this style of rulebook doesn’t mean everyone wants to, or even has the ability to.

I’m STILL waiting for my shipping number, so I’ve been reading through the rules. My summary impression is the design included several fiddly rules that provide no real gain. The desire to make the game language independent has also created a huge amount of “rules overhead” and I’m really starting to question whether working through that is worth the effort.

Needing to account for half a dozen considerations just to move a figure is farcical.

I played again with my friend last night. He had read we made a few mistakes from the previous night and it went better. I wasnt able to pound on red hood continuously like the first game so my friend felt he had more options. One thing he said was that it would be very easy for the bad guy to beat on Catwoman bc she is the expert for diffusing bombs in the one scenario with bane trying to arm them. Batman seemed to be extremely nerfed and has to be really lucky by rolling perfect to disarm a bomb, which is weird bc you think he would be better at it than catwoman. Idk... And in regards to the movement system it does seem over complicated, like having to spend extra movement on certain terrain, being able to escape a space with thugs requires having an ability, etc... Like why not have it so X character moves 3 spaces, Y moves 4, etc.?

Maybe all of this goes away with experience and then that's when players will get the Batman feel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Regulations and statutes for a living. I don't have a great deal of difficulty parsing the written word. Most of the time.

But every so often, I encounter a system that literally makes no sense to me, and might require perseverance (if I am lucky) or will remain a closed book forever more (if I am not). Other times, I will encounter rules and presentations that I get straight away yet others struggle with.

I dare say that the procedural way in which the Batman rules are presented will make sense to some people; perhaps those with a coding background or more mathematically minded folks. But it made no sense at all to me. I like words (ideally English ones), written in a way to get information across.

FWIW, the 10 page rules summary someone has done here on BGG makes a lot more sense than the 60 pages of official rules. It might have gaps, edge cases and inconsistencies (at which point the official rules might help). But in the meantime, the BGG file just might let me get this game played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
every so often, I encounter a system that literally makes no sense to me

Totally our experience. We're HUGE Batman fans, and avid gamers but all the same we found this one too frustrating. I know it isn't everyone's experience, but I don't think we have ever had this much trouble trying to get our heads around a set of rules. Having the game in the house is like seeing the Holy Grail every day and just not being able to get to it. And so, with heavy hearts, we have sold our copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most annoying thing is, the game really isn’t that complicated! I played a demo at Essen with no problem at all.

But somewhere along the line they managed to create a rulebook that includes all of the rules of the game, but barely manages to tell people how to play the game. When a rule book teaches people how to play but doesn’t include all the rules, that’s frustrating - time is spent having to look things up here, for example. But including all of the rules without telling someone how to play is a recipe for games never to be played, or to be sold on.

That board game geek members are saying this means that the game has a problem. Actually, the game is fine - it’s the presentation of the rule book that has a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
gpritch3 wrote:
Johnny Awesome wrote:

I played again with my friend last night. He had read we made a few mistakes from the previous night and it went better. I wasnt able to pound on red hood continuously like the first game so my friend felt he had more options. One thing he said was that it would be very easy for the bad guy to beat on Catwoman bc she is the expert for diffusing bombs in the one scenario with bane trying to arm them. Batman seemed to be extremely nerfed and has to be really lucky by rolling perfect to disarm a bomb, which is weird bc you think he would be better at it than catwoman. Idk... And in regards to the movement system it does seem over complicated, like having to spend extra movement on certain terrain, being able to escape a space with thugs requires having an ability, etc... Like why not have it so X character moves 3 spaces, Y moves 4, etc.?

Maybe all of this goes away with experience and then that's when players will get the Batman feel...

Maybe you are doing something wrong. Batman is perfectly capable of defusing bombs he just needs to spend more cubes on dice or rerolls...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Some people are just looking for a simpler game and that's ok.

I'm glad they made a fuller simulation with a richer rule set. The system is capable of more varied scenarios as a result.

Example: No point in having Mr. Freeze ice down the map if you aren't going to have "difficult terrain" rules.

I don't have a problem with people saying that the rulebooks are 6 out of 10, maybe even a 5/10, due to some language issues and not having a learn-to-play guide, but the fact that some are saying it's basically a 1/10 is ridiculous IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
shooshoo wrote:
gpritch3 wrote:
Johnny Awesome wrote:

Maybe you are doing something wrong. Batman is perfectly capable of defusing bombs he just needs to spend more cubes on dice or rerolls...

Doesnt batman roll less, and only roll orange for disarming the bombs, and catwoman uses red? The way my friend explained it was that batman had to spend more cubes AND roll better than catwoman to disarm the bombs... But if hes busy going after the thugs to help catwoman out he cant do both. If the bad guy just pounds on catwoman enough so that shes always resting, its really hard for the heroes to complete their objectives right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.