Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dieppe was yesterday's second Overlord game with our new group, which has now played half of the 25 official Overlord scenarios available (and a fan scenario--see my list of the available Overlord games on the Overlord forum, as well as a short description of the first amazing game).

Before this I'd only played Dieppe once, soon after it came out. The Canadians won so easily that I never played it again! When I looked for the map recently, it was so pristine that I mistook the folded up battle pack map it for a newer map and passed it by the first time when searching for it among my other Overlord maps.

But I was heartened recently by a post just down thread which said they'd played it three times and gotten three different outcomes. Hooray! Then a pal who had never had a chance wanted to try it out, so we did. Although the Canadians won again, it was so close that it became the second nail biter game we played (after Sword Beach, another British Commonwealth beach invasion scenario).

It turned into one of those endgames which, while not a point game as such like the first scenario, really came down to the same thing. The Canadians had a chance to win, and if they hadn't, I would have on on the following turn. The Canucks had had to take risks which left them easily vulnerable to a loss on the next turn (if it had happened), such as leaving two single figure infantry units right out in the open. Luckily for them their gamble paid off, and they won.

This game had seen some amazing action, including one Canadian unit on their left flank going up to the cliff and being pinned with one figure left and entrenched/breastworked on the last hex above the sea with two Germans attacking it and nowhere to go! It killed one and then died in a dramatic desperation fire fight.

Its now good to know that this scenario is well worth the replay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.