Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Breti
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of the house rules I use to even out the game a little bit. For your consideration:

1. At the beginning, there is a set number of bunnies pre-placed in the dead pile. These bunnies are regular coloured bunnies (not red, specialty, or holographic). The number of bunnies is dictated by the number of players, one-for-one. You may buy your first bunny from the dead pile for 5 Dolla. NB: This is to prevent the possible bunny famine to the beginning of the game, but is not carte blanche, because you still need some Dolla. It can be abused, but is reasonably simple to keep track of, so seems a good compromise.

2. When using a time limit on the game and it expires before all carrots are acquired, to declare a winner you start at the bottom of the small carrot deck as normal. If that carrot is in Kaballa, you keep moving successively upwards from the bottom of the deck until you reach a carrot that is owned by a player. That is the winning carrot.

3. If you draw two or more consecutive Dolla or Terrible Misfortunes, you keep/deal with the first one, and all others are inserted randomly into the deck (not discarded). Redraw to get you back to 5+2 cards.

4. Remove the Mystery Urn from the deck, because it can result in setting all players back to zero resources, which can make the playing time too long.

5. Remove the Kaballa Market Close cards, though leave the close cards for other markets. Closing Kaballa can really slow the game down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Some of my house rules
jayzen (#39235),
Two house rules I use for set-up when you have a larger game:
1.) Deal 7 cards out, but deal 7-in-a-row. Do not deal one at a time. This greatly increases the chance of getting a bunny.
2.) Discard your highest weapon to the defense shop. This gives everybody a chance to build up a bit.

If you don't have a bunny after that, then we leave it to negotiations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree whole heartedly with the removal of cards that close shops. I personally discard all the close shop cards. Buying weapons is not done in our games for the most part and is only used when someone really needs to get aggressive. Closing the pawn shop makes it hard to get the game moving again after a bunny apocalypse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pease
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Personally, I've never had any problems with a 'bunny-drought'.

There are so many things you can do besides having a bunny. Run your specials, play non-aggressive cards, discard crappy cards. (Bounty Mounty, anyone?)

Whenever I play with my friends, I'm drinking sodas, eating corndogs and having a good time. We're not trying to end the game as quick as we can. The point is the journey not the destination!

I believe in fair trade! If you want the game to move quicker, feel free to give someone else one of your bunnies in exchange for something. It's easy. The game doesn't need to be fixed. If you draw, they will come.

I don't agree on the Closing shops cards. They can be an invaluable tool when you have all the money and you can purchase items then close the shops, preventing other people from getting them. Or on the other hand, if you have no money and everyone else has alot, you can close the shops and level the playing field. There's a million strategic uses for closing a shop.

And one last thing, there's nothing more exciting than the Mystery Urn. When you have 5 people jumping around the table, hoping to win a big pot, your heart races!

Anyways, thats my two cents. My only house rule is no bending my cards.

Jason Pease
www.magiccarrot.com
http://magiccarrot.proboards36.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta agree, our games haven't had too much trouble getting bunnies at the beginning, although we had 3 of us with no bunnies at the end of the last one.

And that was also the first game where I remember us closing the shops. It was hilarious seeing everybody keep wanting to buy stuff and swearing at the people who closed them .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree.
Closing the Kaballa shop makes the game too long & reduces choices...
I may stick it near the end of the deck, though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Closing Kaballa does slow the game down, but it sure is funny to see people with plenty of money but no resources get killed off by 1/1 FTB cards.

I like the "dead pile" idea. My games usually begin with terrible bunny droughts... sure would make the game a lot more interesting if I didn't have to spend a dozen turns just saving special cards that I can't use.

To settle disputes, we usually deem a "Bunny Master" at the beginning of the game who gets the final say in arguments. This can seriously backfire if your Bunny Master has their own agenda, but my friends are an honest bunch, and we don't have problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.